• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Man Laws...Pilot Laws

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Emb's right. The captain has every right to override your decision. Some of us actually respect experience and don't feel insecure defering.

What the FO considers to be dictatorial and stupid may just be the CA's greater experience which the FO does not have the experience to recognize.

Or it may actually be dictatorial and stupid. He's the captain; suck it up, junior.

Oh please. We're not going to crash or go around because I don't feel like having flaps out 20 miles out. God forbit something should happen to the CA, how in the world would I be able to fly the airplane without his guidance???? I would, I would declare an emergency and would ask for guidance from some CA on the ground a-la Hollywood movies because I have no idea when to put the flaps out so we don't crash. Give me a break, I'll go along with it because life is too short but some people just like to be backseat drivers, you could be spot on with your approach, they're always going to say something, you know who you are.

Oh please. We're not going to crash or go around because I don't feel like having flaps out 20 miles out. God forbit something should happen to the CA, how in the world would I be able to fly the airplane without his guidance???? I would, I would declare an emergency and would ask for guidance from some CA on the ground a-la Hollywood movies because I have no idea when to put the flaps out so we don't crash. Give me a break, I'll go along with it because life is too short but some people just like to be backseat drivers, you could be spot on with your approach, they're always going to say something, you know who you are.

Lets just make this nice and simple for everyone. Configure the airplane like you're supposed to according to the FAA approved and company published profiles. When a captain puts his hand on the lever it's generally because you're not following procedure. Therefore...he/she no longer has any idea what you are doing. I couldn't care less if your feelings get hurt. It's better than sitting in the left seat trying to guess what the heck the other guy/gal is doing with your ticket on the line.

Lets just make this nice and simple for everyone. Configure the airplane like you're supposed to according to the FAA approved and company published profiles. When a captain puts his hand on the lever it's generally because you're not following procedure. Therefore...he/she no longer has any idea what you are doing. I couldn't care less if your feelings get hurt. It's better than sitting in the left seat trying to guess what the heck the other guy/gal is doing with your ticket on the line.

Fair enough.

greater experience which the FO does not have the experience to recognize.
Case.

In.

Point.

You'll understand someday, Junior.

Last edited:
If you were born with a Penis and Testicles between your legs, or even if the Testicles are missing, please act as such on the job. It's bad enough that some male FAs are more feminine than the female FAs. NO ONE should have to tolerate it behind a bullet proof door in an enclosed room.

I don't care what your beliefs are or what your orientation is. Don't display it to me, don't tell me about it or him, and when the "crap" starts to hit the fan in flight, surely don't bring it out more and make me want to hit you more than I want to land this POS aircraft. I have friends that are gay, and it doesn't bother me a bit. I listen to their issues about their boyfriends, etc., and actually listen, for they are my friends. None of them are as feminine as some of the wussies I've flown with recently.

Last edited:
Some of us actually respect experience and don't feel insecure defering.

But it's a lack of experience being expressed by a captain's hand on the flap lever.

If it's merely a matter of flap technique, an experienced captain would defer to the flying pilot, and not micro-manage.

If it's a matter of safety, the captain would be direct and speak up, not just hope the F.O. notices his "hint."

Hand on the flap lever is kind of a milquetoasty captain thing.

Latest resources

Back