Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Malaysian 777 enroute to Beijing missing!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
While I wouldn't rule out an electrical fire or a turn towards an airport, this sure sounds like a theory put forth by someone who doesn't fly pressurized jets.

A tire fire would be outside the pressure vessel... And you would extend the gear, not climb abovevtge service ceiling. The first memory item in an electrical fire would be.... Oxygen masks on, 100%. I'm pretty certain the Autopilot would be off in an emergency power scenario, as well.

Last edited:
Thank goodness for some sanity. This makes the most sense of anything that's been said.

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

Either way, once they find the wreckage they'll find 230 smartphones, all with video of what happened. It's the first thing passengers do when something unusual happens.

This certainly sounds like a plausible scenario. As far as the 45,000 altitude, I agree with the writer, just how accurate is that primary radar in getting a fix on the altitude from long range...

Anyway, I would certainly like to believe this rather than the pilot or pilots intentionally hijacked or crashed the plane...

This guy is a f&*%ing moron. He says the transponder and the "secondary tracking radar" was turned off. What the hell is that? I have never heard of such a radar system on any airplane I have flown.

He says pilots have oxygen masks but they are a "no-no" in a fire. Really? I have always been trained to put on my mask and goggles at the first sign of smoke. Maybe they do different in Canada, eh?

He also mentions that it was a hot night in KL and the plane was heavy. Midnight in KL this time of year appears to be about 80 degrees F, not that hot. A 777 with 8 hours of gas on it is carrying less than half the full fuel load, so not that heavy either.

I dont know what a Canadian Class-1 instrument rated pilot for multi engine planes is, but it is safe to assume he doesnt know anything more than Richard Quest does about flying.

Please dont give this clown any more credibility.

Thank goodness for some sanity. This makes the most sense of anything that's been said.

Either way, once they find the wreckage they'll find 230 smartphones, all with video of what happened. It's the first thing passengers do when something unusual happens.

I don't think this guy knows what he's talking about. A nose-wheel well fire? There are no brakes on the nose gear to generate the heat needed to start a fire. In addition, the fire would be hard pressed to fully ignite at 35,000ft. I could be wrong but it seems this situation is not plausible. Second, if it was a fire and the crew pointed the aircraft towards a landing field, don't you find it odd that the fire consumed all the radios and transponder yet allowed the autopilot to operate for about 7 hours per Rolls Royce? Last, just what the heck is a Canadian Class I Instrument pilot anyway???

Rush found a guy who seems to have a better grasp of the subject:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/03/18/retired_777_pilot_calls_the_show

At 35,000 TOUC is about 30 seconds, far less time that it would take to climb to 45,000, making any attempt to climb above 35K of no use.

True .. But if your using the dixi cups.. going higher is just going to make them less effective .. And if your objective is to suffocate everybody as fast as possible .... But I'm wondering if the plane really went that high .. Hope we find out soon what really happened ..

Doesnt quite explain the left turn prior to the last "good night" sign off. and also doesnt address the ELT's not going off after the crash or the black box not pinging their location.They also supposedly recieved an acars message that next morning around 7 hours after departing Kuala Lumpur.
This is also assuming the information being given out by the Malaysian government is accurate.

Last edited:
Doesnt quite explain the left turn prior to the last "good night" sign off. and also doesnt address the ELT's not going off after the crash or the black box not pinging their location.They also supposedly recieved an acars message that next morning around 7 hours after departing Kuala Lumpur.
This is also assuming the information being given out by the Malaysian government is accurate.
The left turn could have been to head for an emergency alternate, which they did fly to, but if they were then incapacitated the plane overflew it. Seven hours later it's on the ocean floor. Not sure if ELT can be heard from a satellite from deep under water.

True .. But if your using the dixi cups.. going higher is just going to make them less effective .. And if your objective is to suffocate everybody as fast as possible .... But I'm wondering if the plane really went that high .. Hope we find out soon what really happened ..
Former NTSB guy said last night that further analysis has shown that they reputed climb was a misread of a marginal data point, and that it was essentially at 29,500 the whole time. Or maybe not....who knows.

Latest resources

Back