• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Make the AA hop next year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
AA73's thread got me thinking about next year. When AA and others begin to ramp up their hiring practices next year at what point would it be lateral to make the jump? As a mid cabin class captain in corporate for the last 12yrs and looking to move back to Ft. Worth i'm certainly pondering the thought. I know there are several people who have made the jump in 121 after getting accustomed to the 135/91 world and would like to hear their opinions. Thanks in advance for the input-

Corp

LOL! I make more than that flying around a barbie jet with 15 hard days off a month.

It concerns me that there are guys like you that couldn't get an airline job if you payed for it that will undercut professionals like myself!

It concerns me that there are guys like you that couldn't get an airline job if you payed for it that will undercut professionals like myself!

As anticipated, the entire concept went way over your head.

The OP was asking about leaving an admitted lower paying corp gig to try at a major airline or a better Fortune xx opportunity and was looking for any info on guys who have made this transition...simple career building advice.

You pipe in with Regional Pilot Touretts Syndrome and brag about being in a "Barbie Jet" long enough to make more money than him...moving up the chain at a regional, now there's something to brag about, huh?

As far as wanting your job (dear god) do know that I would likely shoot myself before being able to drive to work and fly an RJ 15 days a month with clowns like you and make 85K....but to each his own.

Please, do come by often and give us lectures on RJ pilots keeping the bar high, its entertaining if anything.

Last edited:
CorpCaptain

Network, network, network. Understand that there are thousands of AA pilot's kids, squadron buddies, furloughed friends...... that are lined up wanting to get a shot at an AA interview. Your resume will only get you so far. Your contacts my be the only thing that get you in the door early on in the hiring wave. The chance of just making a "hop" to AA next year will not be easy.

There is going to be large turnover at AA over the next decade and the lucky few that make it in first should have a decent QOL quickly. I can assure you from my current position you don't want to be stuck on the bottom of a seniority list.

Best of luck to you.

As anticipated, the entire concept went way over your head.

The OP was asking about leaving an admitted lower paying corp gig to try at a major airline or a better Fortune xx opportunity and was looking for any info on guys who have made this transition...simple career building advice.

You pipe in with Regional Pilot Touretts Syndrome and brag about being in a "Barbie Jet" long enough to make more money than him...moving up the chain at a regional, now there's something to brag about, huh?

As far as wanting your job (dear god) do know that I would likely shoot myself before being able to drive to work and fly an RJ 15 days a month with clowns like you and make 85K....but to each his own.

Please, do come by often and give us lectures on RJ pilots keeping the bar high, its entertaining if anything.

LOL again!. Will you wash the owners car? Yes! Will you vacuum and clean the airplane? Yes!. Will you you wipe the owners butt for him? Yes! Your hired!

maybe I am missing something but 85K is still a decent salary in the "real world" and if you have any sense of stability there, I don't know if I would just throw that away for a dice roll at a major. What is oil now ? $90, $95 a barrell ? Is the ecomony coming back ? I am still waiting.

I don't know, FedEx/UPS, ok, sure, but a passenger carrier, in todays climate I don't know if I would leave for that.

Hi Corp Capt... I of course can't tell you the best decision. But like others have pointed out, AA is about to hit big time retirements when the age 65ers start retiring next year. Lots of movement just from that - starting around 2017, there are around 500 retirements per year.Also, AA seems to want to grow, and a lot, to catch up with rivals. More movement right there. Now throw in the upcoming duty rest changes, that's gonna require some more pilots as well.

What I'm getting at is that anyone who hires on here when we start is probably not going to undergo the tremendous stagnation we've seen for the past 10 years. I think this seniority list will turn over very quickly in the next 20 years.

Overall this career and place have been good to me - I was hired in Feb 2000 so I am in year 12, flying 75/76 int'l out of JFK and holding a line (not by much!) The pilot group here is great, sure we have bad apples like all groups, but overall a very professional group of guys and gals.

If/when we get the contract we're fighting for, we should see some pretty big pay raises as well as better work rules. All in all, we're trying to make this a career place once again.

Right now they can't recall fast enough. Just talked to an MD80 CKA friend of mine - he was told they will continue hiring MD80 CKA through the rest of the year! That tells you something right there. We're extremely short thru the summer, and we just had 33 early outs July 1 with probably more on Aug 1. I think we'll be hiring by next year at this rate.

As G200 mentioned above, you can't jump into 121 worrying about furloughs. They are a fact of 121 life. However, my crystal ball says that this is the beginning of another big growth/hiring wave, and if you can get in early, maybe you can build enough of a cushion below you up until the next furlough (notice I said when, not if...)

250 possible new aircraft is way more than they're planning on retiring in the next 10 years, so I think there's quite a bit of growth in this order. As I said, AMR needs to grow, a lot, to catch up to rivals.

Good luck on your decision. I'm sure it ain't an easy one! Stay in touch and I'll be glad to update you on what's going on here.

Last edited:
LOL again!. Will you wash the owners car? Yes! Will you vacuum and clean the airplane? Yes!. Will you you wipe the owners butt for him? Yes! Your hired!

YOUR not very witty or original, and YOUR certainly not too bright.

Regional Board -------> that way.

Last edited:
Its a crap shoot at the very least. I was hired 6 months after aa73 (8/2000) and my number gets me a reserve line on the MD80 out of EWR, 6am weekend mop up guy to Chicago 14 times a month, no thanks. I made the jump back to corporate in 2003 and have been lucky ever since. The thought of going back only comes around ever few years. I miss the schedule but that's only if you can hold a line. Reserve for an airline is worse then any corporate schedule I have ever had. Money is better in the descent corporate world. 12 year pay on the MD80 out of NY sitting reserve is $96,360 a year. Even with the A and B retirement funds calculated in, most Gulfstream/Falcon Challenger guys in a major city can do better. Hotels and meals go to the corporate operator, much better then paying for your own based on a minuscule per diem and consistently staying at the airport hotel negotiated away by some committee, what I have saved on just not having to pay for my own internet on the road has me way ahead.

People have asked me before and the only way to describe it is, the best corporate job blows away any airline job ever, the worst corporate job makes flying for the regionals look like Leonardo Dicaprio in, Catch Me if you can.

Just look at the current rate of acceptance amongst the AA recalled pilots. It's taking 10 phone calls to get one guy to come back. The current labor laws are so anti union the thought of getting recalled and then having to wait another 10 years for a contract is pathetic.

For the next few years I am on the outside looking in.

Latest resources

Back