Make the AA hop next year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CorpCaptain

AA73's thread got me thinking about next year. When AA and others begin to ramp up their hiring practices next year at what point would it be lateral to make the jump? As a mid cabin class captain in corporate for the last 12yrs and looking to move back to Ft. Worth i'm certainly pondering the thought. I know there are several people who have made the jump in 121 after getting accustomed to the 135/91 world and would like to hear their opinions. Thanks in advance for the input-

Corp

If you like being furloughed umpteen times in the next twenty years then I say go for it. There is now way I would consider flying for any mainline pax outfit than SWA. If being furloughed doesn't bother you then AA might be up your alley.

AA73's thread got me thinking about next year. When AA and others begin to ramp up their hiring practices next year at what point would it be lateral to make the jump? As a mid cabin class captain in corporate for the last 12yrs and looking to move back to Ft. Worth i'm certainly pondering the thought. I know there are several people who have made the jump in 121 after getting accustomed to the 135/91 world and would like to hear their opinions. Thanks in advance for the input-

Corp

Of course only you can answer this...but I'd say go for it if its where you really want to be.

I suppose much depends on how good your job is now. I wouldn't leave a 150k+ corp job to go to American Airlines and never recover...especially if your current quality of life if good....but otherwise? why not?

Life is way too short to worry about the next furlough, layoff, etc. Its very much out of our control anyhow.

Good luck!

I suppose much depends on how good your job is now. I wouldn't leave a 150k+ corp job to go to American Airlines and never recover...especially if your current quality of life if good....but otherwise? why not?

Life is way too short to worry about the next furlough, layoff, etc. Its very much out of our control anyhow.

Good luck!

Thats kind of how I feel about it. I currently work for a 135 outfit that is pretty good to me. I've almost spent my career entirely here. It's brand new equipment, that being said I will never make over 85K here and hard time off is a lost art. I recently turned in my players card so the wife is looking for some stability. Just not sure that sitting reserve in NY for 6 years is going to tickle her the right way either:D

AA has a fairly old pilot group, so whenever hiring does start off the street again the first wave should enjoy pretty quick seniority advancement due to attrition.

I started off at a regional, did several corporate gigs, and am now at a major. I, without a doubt, prefer the 121 world to corporate. There are pros and cons to both, however. As for American, the labor-management relationship isn't all that good, but long-term you have good career potential. Furloughs . . . it could happen, but it seems that things are going to turn around and we can look at this last decade as just a bad nightmare. As things stand now, you will gain seniority fairly quickly. Only you know what is best for you, so carefully weigh the pros and cons of both your current job and a job with American. I will tell you this, flying 121 is a heck of a lot easier than corporate. You show up to work for a few days, then go home for a few days. I do recommend living in base as commuting will take a good job and make it less desirable.

Thats kind of how I feel about it. I currently work for a 135 outfit that is pretty good to me. I've almost spent my career entirely here. It's brand new equipment, that being said I will never make over 85K here and hard time off is a lost art. I recently turned in my players card so the wife is looking for some stability. Just not sure that sitting reserve in NY for 6 years is going to tickle her the right way either:D

At 85K I wouldn't hesitate to walk from a job if you want a change for personal reasons....with a decent reputation and network you can always go back and find that kind of money pretty easily depending on where you live.

And reality is....after a certain age, no hard time off isn't worth 185K, nevermind 85K...

As far as the above poster, IMO 121 certainly isn't easier flying than corporate all around, it just depends on the gig. Every airline friend I have works far harder than me. There's no "norm" out there.

All this aside, there seems to be quite a bit of movement in corporate hiring also?...maybe you can upgrade your corp job to one that provides better pay and time off....However, I admit I know nothing about the DFW market.

Either way, cant hurt to give it a look..

Last edited:

Corp

I've known more than a few corporate CAs making close to 200K who lost jobs since 2008 and can't find jobs anywhere near what they use to have. For every dude telling you 121 is toast and their deal is safe, I would be very, very cautious....

Corp

If getting back to DFW is your goal don't forget there are 2 airlines in TX.
I would be sure to apply to both.

Personally, I would much rather remain in corporate aviation. I enjoy the perks and developing the personal relationship with who you work for. I think in the next 5-8yrs I can find a F100 position within the corporate network. The decision really has no bearing until the job may or may not be offered. Balancing whether to take my lumps during my early 30's in the 121 enviornment or to hang on in hopes of employment with a corporate position that I envision myself retiring from is what's proving difficult. Regardless I am going to apply once the window opens, i'm simply trying to look ahead and get notion of what to expect and if anyone has been through this that could shed light on the subject. Thanks again for the replies-

Latest resources

Back