• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major intentions for regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Maybe so, but I believe this post to be accurate. The regionals are gonna shrink. It's an absolute certainty. Anyone with the with the chance to move onto a major really should do so without a second thought. The folks choosing to gamble and stay at the regionals are most likely going to be in for a world of hurt as planes go to the desert and lifers get downgraded back to the right seat.

Seeing what will happen, backing it up with facts may be a broken record, but that doesn't mean it won't happen. I am trying to give advice to people on here, throw apps out to legacies and LCCs in the beginning of a hiring wave instead of at the end. SKW lifers like Jon Rivoli and Mercy don't want to leave what they have now, but their airline very well may shrink around them, and then Mercy will end up an FO to Jon on the only remaining plane, an old Navajo flying to SGU from SLC.....

Prepare now folks.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Simple...It's my rice bowl, and I like mine full...basic human nature to be selfish.

It's also basic economics. 50 seaters do not work with high oil prices. Then throw in new fatigue and hiring rules, plus 15,000 future openings at 3 legacies. The regional industry is going to change.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I'd say the whole industry is going to go through an evolution similar to the maritime industry did beginning after the end of WW2. The US isn't the monopoly stakeholder in aerospace since the Cold War ended and the defense industry collapsed. We are slowly, steadily going to price ourselves out of a job to the point that this career is no longer appealing to anyone, but offshore workers flying airplanes primarily built in another country. The foundation of this has already been laid with NAI...Glad I am getting out through retirement before it's out of hand.

I'd say the whole industry is going to go through an evolution similar to the maritime industry did beginning after the end of WW2. The US isn't the monopoly stakeholder in aerospace since the Cold War ended and the defense industry collapsed. We are slowly, steadily going to price ourselves out of a job to the point that this career is no longer appealing to anyone, but offshore workers flying airplanes primarily built in another country. The foundation of this has already been laid with NAI...Glad I am getting out through retirement before it's out of hand.

I don't see that at all. Consolidation has created 3 power houses, and bag and change fees have given the chance for sustained profits and stability. The pay and benefits will increase for those airlines, keeping the bar up for years.

Huge retirements will bring in new, cheaper pilots due to longevity, not worse contracts. There are 15+ year 75/76 FOs at the legacies because of stagnation over the last decade due to the Age 65 increase. As pilots retire, newer pilots will move back into the widebodies sooner, and Captains back in the 5-7 year range, which is impressive for the legacies after a decade of stagnation.

Those big profits will also help the big 3 defend flying here in the States, and the emergence of the ME Gulf 3 airlines is troublesome for European and SE Asian airlines, but the US airlines have the geographic advantage over the ME carriers. US pax will not fly to the ME first and then onto Europe or Asia, just so they can save a few bucks. Way too far.

I think the next decade will be great for the big 3 US carriers, somewhat for the US LCCs if they don't lose too many pilots to the big 3, and it may prove very tough for the Regionals. There is a Worldwide pilot shortage too, which means overall good things for pay and benefits as a whole for the profession.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It's also basic economics. 50 seaters do not work with high oil prices. Then throw in new fatigue and hiring rules, plus 15,000 future openings at 3 legacies. The regional industry is going to change.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Wow Jenny must be a rocket scientist! Or master of the obvious. Or....

Just give them what they pay for. If the mainline carriers are not willing to pay their regionals enough that they can, in turn, provide a quality product then they simply won't get a quality product.

Just give them what they pay for. If the mainline carriers are not willing to pay their regionals enough that they can, in turn, provide a quality product then they simply won't get a quality product.

That's kinda circular reasoning there. I can't speak for all regionals, but it am quite ashamed by the "service" offered by my company. The only reason we're even around is because we're the absolute dirt cheapest out there. It's sad that no one seems to give a ******************** about the quality of a product anymore. It's all about being the absolute cheapest possible.

Latest resources

Back