• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Major intentions for regionals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee-you being a Delta pilot and as you have always had a lot of insight on what Delta wants and what Delta pilots want. Just by you saying that majors do not want to hire from their regionals when DELTA and DELTA PILOTS negotiated in good faith to offer a program to be hired at Delta to the Endeavor pilots in return for a crappy contract and to make millions for Delta-that means you are saying that Delta and your union negotiated in bad faith? hmm, yes. peachy.

Hey hey, easy bud. I said some of the legacies MAY NOT want to hire from their feed, but I also said I wish they did because the pilots are already established in their hubs. It would be really easy for everyone. I also said the airlines want their HR departments to be in charge of hiring, not the pilots. Back in 07 you could try to get a buddy hired by getting guys working in the CPO to give an initial phone interview and then get approved for the actual interview. That way of doing it is gone now.

I personally don't know what the acceptance rate is for Endeavor pilots in those interviews, but I hope it is high. It's too bad that wasn't worked out exactly in your last contract, guaranteeing a certain number of actual jobs and not just a certain number of interviews. I don't know if DALPA had anything to do with your Endeavor contract.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
General Lee-you being a Delta pilot and as you have always had a lot of insight on what Delta wants and what Delta pilots want. Just by you saying that majors do not want to hire from their regionals when DELTA and DELTA PILOTS negotiated in good faith to offer a program to be hired at Delta to the Endeavor pilots in return for a crappy contract and to make millions for Delta-that means you are saying that Delta and your union negotiated in bad faith? hmm, yes. peachy.

Knowing the majors were going to need all the pilots they can get, you should've voted against the poor contract that everyone knew would not deliver. Don't blame other pilot groups, blame your own yes voters.

What's going to be funny is when you really see the regional pilot crunch.

Delta, American, United all have extensive regional flying......

American sets up interviews and knows that its feeder regionals are in a total pilot crunch. Who do most likely select??? A.) A delta regional pilot that doesn't work for your system. B) A united regional pilot that doesn't work for you system or C) American regional pilot that if you hire puts more burden on your regional system???

I know it's early but don't be surprised if many of the Majors go directly at other Majors Regional pilots before sucking up there own. My feeling down the road many Mainline airlines will protect themselves with flow thru's to retain pilots at the regional level. Should be fun to watch.

Recruiters have said they are going to annihilate the regionals of other carriers. It'll be interesting to see what strategies they use.

Same goes for LCC competitors. They are all targets.

Bye Bye---General Lee

I voted yes to this crappy contract for one simple reason. I wanted 2 years to look for a new job instead of just 1. Our local ALPA reps, Delta's reps, and ALPA national all said that we should vote yes otherwise Delta would shut us down. Then all three ALPA bodies worked with Delta to create "career opportunities" at Delta if we voted yes. This information came from a road show I heard personally from our MEC Chair. ALPA had a vested interest in this and my assumptions are that our local reps all thought they were buying a job at Delta (many were turned down after their interviews-basically they were used to make us sign yes, then discarded), DALPA saw our voting yes as a means to increase their profit sharing checks, and ALPA national had language placed in the contract that said if we voted out ALPA, we lose all of our planes. It was a win win win deal for everyone except most of the Endeavor pilots-especially the FO's who lost the most. They are at the bottom of the industry for pay and no prospects for upgrade. At one point our success rate was at a low of 35% for those getting the job offer at Delta. But now its at about 50% I guess. Don't get me wrong, I will be thankful when my time comes for the interview and will be prepared ( I am willing to spend the time and money to be prepared) and only hope I do well. That being said, I have seen some great people who have walked away from the interview with their head hanging low. But on the flip side, I have seen Delta make some great decisions and not take some people-but again, on the flip side, sometimes I shake my head and wonder how someone got a Delta job offer. I just wonder how much staffing at Endeavor will have to do with if Delta makes someone an offer. That is why even if I am placed in the Delta pool, I will still be trying very hard to go somewhere else. I have had promises broken by Delta and ALPA before so I am skeptical of the current situation. Oh and many at Endeavor seem to be holding onto this notion that they want Delta to have a flow for Endeavor pilots. Except for the 40 grandfathered Mesaba flows (luck SOB's), ask the 800 or so other Mesaba pilots who had their flow option stolen from them by Delta and ALPA what they think of flows to Delta. We say its not worth as much as the free toilet paper we get at a public restroom. At least I can wipe my a$$ with the free cheap toilet paper.

I voted yes to this crappy contract for one simple reason. I wanted 2 years to look for a new job instead of just 1. Our local ALPA reps, Delta's reps, and ALPA national all said that we should vote yes otherwise Delta would shut us down. Then all three ALPA bodies worked with Delta to create "career opportunities" at Delta if we voted yes. This information came from a road show I heard personally from our MEC Chair. ALPA had a vested interest in this and my assumptions are that our local reps all thought they were buying a job at Delta (many were turned down after their interviews-basically they were used to make us sign yes, then discarded), DALPA saw our voting yes as a means to increase their profit sharing checks, and ALPA national had language placed in the contract that said if we voted out ALPA, we lose all of our planes. It was a win win win deal for everyone except most of the Endeavor pilots-especially the FO's who lost the most. They are at the bottom of the industry for pay and no prospects for upgrade. At one point our success rate was at a low of 35% for those getting the job offer at Delta. But now its at about 50% I guess. Don't get me wrong, I will be thankful when my time comes for the interview and will be prepared ( I am willing to spend the time and money to be prepared) and only hope I do well. That being said, I have seen some great people who have walked away from the interview with their head hanging low. But on the flip side, I have seen Delta make some great decisions and not take some people-but again, on the flip side, sometimes I shake my head and wonder how someone got a Delta job offer. I just wonder how much staffing at Endeavor will have to do with if Delta makes someone an offer. That is why even if I am placed in the Delta pool, I will still be trying very hard to go somewhere else. I have had promises broken by Delta and ALPA before so I am skeptical of the current situation. Oh and many at Endeavor seem to be holding onto this notion that they want Delta to have a flow for Endeavor pilots. Except for the 40 grandfathered Mesaba flows (luck SOB's), ask the 800 or so other Mesaba pilots who had their flow option stolen from them by Delta and ALPA what they think of flows to Delta. We say its not worth as much as the free toilet paper we get at a public restroom. At least I can wipe my a$$ with the free cheap toilet paper.

I still think you should apply to all 3 big ones (you may have already tried US), and some LCCs. I think also you said you might be interested in Hawaiian. That's good, throw apps out to all of the ones you are interested in, go to the job fairs if you can, and continue to network (with jumpseaters etc). Just stay clean with the FAA and try to avoid sick calls if you can, and things will happen for you. Eventually you will have an easy time getting something as retirements really ramp up, but you really want to be in an initial wave of hiring, say the first two years. DL doesn't really lose a lot of pilots until the latter half of this decade, so getting on earlier at any of the big 3 would be a plus. I'm glad you're willing to pay for a prep course too. Very smart.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back