Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JoeMerchant

ASA pilot
It was bad enough when the USAir MEC undercut the regionals to capture the E170 aircraft, but now once again, they have done the same with the E190s. Why is it OK for mainline to do this, but not a regional? More ALPA hypocracy folks - time to wake up regional pilots. What is so magical about the title "mainline" if it pays the same or less than the "regional"?

Joe

I'm sorry... which "regional" was it that flies the E190? and for what payrate?

As far as I know only one "regional" flies a 90 seat aircraft. Mesa.

If the US Airways payrates are less than Mesa's CR9 payrates then you may have a point.

If not, then you're just pissing into the wind.

FurloughedAgain said:
I'm sorry... which "regional" was it that flies the E190? and for what payrate?

As far as I know only one "regional" flies a 90 seat aircraft. Mesa.

If the US Airways payrates are less than Mesa's CR9 payrates then you may have a point.

If not, then you're just pissing into the wind.

The Jetblue rates are less than Comair and Horizons 70 seat rate and less than CHQs 90 seat rate. They are very close to Mesa's 90 seat rates. Not pi$$ing in the wind, just tired of being pi$$ed on by my "brothers" while being told it is for my own good.

Joe,

Here's what's great about the mainline. Sure you may start in a regional, but the largest piece of equipment is much bigger than your 50-70 seater, and the pay is much greater at their TOS than yours.

Now here's one that cuts both ways. At the regional you are mainlines little bi**h. In the race to the bottom mainline management can play the regional airlines off of each other to get to the lowest bidder. If your regional contract is unattractive, mainline can shop for a new partner. Obviously if you are sitting at mainline you hate to see your former job and routes go to the regional when times are bad.

I've worked at the regional level and at the mainline. I can tell you that things are better off at the mainline. At the mainline I didn't have to track my own pay and rest requirements. At mainline I don't have to do double duty to cover for my inexperienced dispatcher, or deal with an amateur like "Floyd" from scheduling. At the mainline the training, quality of instruction, and experience of the instructors was way better than at the regional.

I understand your bitterness towards ALPO. They do one thing really well, and that's the study and promotion of safety. Other than that it's the most expensive magazine subscription I've ever had.

Those are just a couple of my thoughts on why the mainline tops the regional hands down.

4lowed

Jetblue is not a "regional". It may not be a major, but its sure as heck not a regional.

Are US Airways/AWA's rates less than Chautauqua's?

These airlines -- I dont care whether you call them "majors" "legacies" or whatever -- have lost over 7000 jobs in the last 4 years.

I applaud them for doing what it takes to ATTEMPT to gain some job security by hanging on to the flying that would otherwise replace the 737.

FurloughedAgain said:
Jetblue is not a "regional". It may not be a major, but its sure as heck not a regional.

Are US Airways/AWA's rates less than Chautauqua's?

These airlines -- I dont care whether you call them "majors" "legacies" or whatever -- have lost over 7000 jobs in the last 4 years.

I applaud them for doing what it takes to ATTEMPT to gain some job security by hanging on to the flying that would otherwise replace the 737.

Furloughed, the new USAir/AWA rates are reportedly about the same as Jetblue rates, that was my point. If that is the case, then yes, they did undercut CHQ's 90 seat rate.

I understand your frustration, HOWEVER job security runs both ways. This will be another wedge driven between mainline and regionals. If you advocate undercutting me for your job security, then I will advocate undercutting you for my job security. This is a very slippery slope.

Joe

4lowed said:
Joe,

Here's what's great about the mainline. Sure you may start in a regional, but the largest piece of equipment is much bigger than your 50-70 seater, and the pay is much greater at their TOS than yours.
4lowed

Only because we don't have anything larger than 70 seaters. The payscales would be about the same now if we had larger aircraft. If the payscales are roughly the same, it is much more beneficial for me to fly larger aircraft here at the regional level than to go to the "mainline" only to take a paycut for the next 15 years. I see it from your side, but you have to understand the picture is totally different from the perspective of a senior regional pilot. It has become every man for themselves.

I'm not undercutting YOU if i'm establishing payrates for an aircraft that YOU DO NOT FLY!!!

You ARE undercutting ME if you're establishing payrates for an aircraft that was designed to replace an aircraft that I currently fly.

But hey, I dont have a dog in this fight. I dont fly for the airlines anymore. I just can't believe that your vision is so clouded that you cant see the bigger E-Jets for what they are -- replacements.

Or, if you prefer - Guppy Killers

Latest resources

Back