• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Luggageworks Plastic-framed bag

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have the "one they made in 1997," whatever that one is. Standard size, metal framed. Flew regional, then dragged it through the cargo ramps (think snow plow for deice fluid) for ten years (no commute). I had it rebuilt by LW for approx. $100 w/shipping. It looked almost like a new bag after the rebuild. Back in the pax biz (commuting) and I had to zip-tie the corner where the zipper rounds the corner on the bottom. I was afraid that during a gate check, my clothes would end up on the ramp. additionally, the metal frames tend to bow inward after repeated gate checks. Eventually, I sprang for the Costco 22" ($99) and could not be happier. So, it lasted me about 15 yrs. I'll stick with the Costco this time.

I haven't done it but the nice thing at Costco is if they break you can get a new one. The warranty is forever.

I just commuted up on Delta to ORD. Had to gate check it since the MD88 overheads were full. When I got there the bag looked like we drug it to Chicago. Ripped in the seams and covered with dirt. Since it was an 8 year old bag the guy told me it had no value and would not be fixed. So I had to pay the $180 out of pocket to be overhauled. Looks like a brand new bag!!! The only way you can tell it was the original is the bottom metal plate still has the scratches in the paint. Would highly recommend just getting the metal one overhauled.

Dave

my metal frame bag is almost 10 years old and I have no need or plans to replace. other than zippers I can't see anything on the bag you can't fix yourself. in the past 10 years with the bag i've gate checked and commuted with it. i have drilled out some of the rivets on the frame and replaced them with bolts/screws/nuts.

Cheap bags are great until the break on you mid-trip.

Cheap bags are great...until they break on you mid-trip.

My 737 Stealth bag is 6+ years old, just over 4 in my corporate job and 2 at a regional (one of which was commuting). One zipper pull is missing, another side pocket zipper has jumped, but otherwise the thing is a tank.

Tighten the screws/nuts with threadlocker blue and run a file/dremel grinder over the scuffed rear plate every 6-12 months and call it good.

One more thumbs up for the Strong Bag. Just replaced my old style Costco with a Strong Bag. Night and day difference!

And, by now everyone probably knows, the new Costco 22 inch bag is considerably thicker than the old one. Old one would fit in the 200 overhead, new one won't without being nearly empty.

Funny how nobody wants to spend $300 on a bag that will last years. Most people spend that in a couple months on beer during overnights. Yes it's a lot compared to other bags. But it lasts and it sure beats having to deal with a broke bag mid trip. I tried several bags first and got sick of replacing them. Go with the metal luggage works stealth.

Anyone ever use the plastic-framed version of this bag? My metal-framed one is up for retirement and I'm not spending 275 bucks on a new one. The quote for repair is the same price as this plastic framed one.

My main concern is whether or not the plastic frame will snap. We all see how our metal frames are all bent and twisted..

That or any good recommendations for an affordable bag that is NOT TRAVELPRO that will fit in any CRJ series overhead (including the 200)?

NONONONONONO, used it for a few years, on my 3rd anniversary it literally broke in half in the jetway when it was delivered plane-side (valet tag), my stuff went everywhere. The handle broke every 3-4 months (replacements were 35ish each time) HORRIBLE case

I got "Delsey" luggage from Kohls. It's lasted 3 years and broken once (wheel fell off) but with it's LIFETIME guarantee, I just bring it back and for FREE they literally hand me a new one... cost me $85!!!

If you REALLY want to look like everyone else and fit it, get the metal LuggageWorks... handle will still break every few months and the external pocket zippers will still be trashed after 6 months.

Latest resources

Back