Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Abernathy

Truthiness
Anyone ever use the plastic-framed version of this bag? My metal-framed one is up for retirement and I'm not spending 275 bucks on a new one. The quote for repair is the same price as this plastic framed one.

My main concern is whether or not the plastic frame will snap. We all see how our metal frames are all bent and twisted..

That or any good recommendations for an affordable bag that is NOT TRAVELPRO that will fit in any CRJ series overhead (including the 200)?

Im curious. How long did yours last?

This particular bag has been in service about 5 years. A portion of the main zipper track frayed and tore off a few inches about 2 years ago (possibly from repeated shoves into the CRJ200 overhead) and I just cordoned off that area and it leaves a hole that I just live with. My understanding is that this was a relatively common problem which led to them redesigning the bag so the zipper is not on the edge anymore, rather about an inch or so towards the top-middle.

Other than that, the main grab handle has been coming loose for years and I just periodically tighten it, most of the screws from the frame are gone and I've replaced them but they are usually gone within a month again, making the frame pop out and turn into a hazard with their sharp edges, etc.

Another thing I don't like about the bag is the underside corner is razor sharp and has torn up the back of all my shoes from the occasional foot-bump as you roll along. I think the physical weight of the bag contributes to it's demise as you tend to unintentionally just drop it a little harder from the weight, bending its components overtime.

I may just go for their "Aurora" model but I don't think I've ever seen a pilot with one.

Last edited:
Costco has a very good 22" bag for $99.- that gets good reviews from frequent travellers and crews. It's put together with screws and the wheels are replaceable. If it fits in a CRJ overhead????? Does anything fit in there?

Have had mine for 7 years. (CRJ pilot) Don't commute, never gate check it .. Bet i get another 4 years out of it. Just the zipper, jamming in the overhead thing is a problem...

Costco has a very good 22" bag for $99.- that gets good reviews from frequent travellers and crews. It's put together with screws and the wheels are replaceable. If it fits in a CRJ overhead????? Does anything fit in there?

Thanks. Yes the Costco bag is a great bag, and I have the Costco bag though I wasn't sure if it fit in the overhead of the 700, fairly certain it won't fit in the 200 overhead. I don't fly the 200 but the way things are going I'm sure I'll be back on it eventually..

Have had mine for 7 years. (CRJ pilot) Don't commute, never gate check it .. Bet i get another 4 years out of it. Just the zipper, jamming in the overhead thing is a problem...

That zipper problem is an expensive problem and unfortunately, the downfall of the entire unit.

I like almost everything else about the bag--and yes it is perfectly balanced--can drag that thing around for an hour and your arm won't get sore. But damn it, that's like building a top of the line semi-truck with a door that breaks and pops open all the time.

If your handy with tools (drill, hand rivet gun) you can replace the bag portion yourself. The sent me one for 50$. Couple of hours and a can a black spray paint and I had a new bag.

I have the plastic frame and it's held up well for I guess 2-3 years I've had it. Did have problems w/ the handle twice. Both times they sent me another handle and I changed it out. A bit of a bitch swapping it out though but finally got it. Mine ALWAYS goes in the OH or the closet if capt doesn't mind. Don't know how it would hold up going in the cargo bin, and don't wanna find out!

out of all the stupid things I have blown money on...I would put this bag at the top of my list. would never buy one again.

buy a $50 bag at sears or somewhere...you will be much happier and richer

Latest resources

Back