Looming Pilot Shortage

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hi!

Avbug: I do think the regionals used to have high standards.

I had:
2000 TT
750 MEJet
400 Heavy Jet
ATP MEL
Comair sent me a letter stating I didn't meet their MINIMUM standards.

cliff
GRB

The regionals have been taking pilots with 300 hours total time. Into turbojet equipment. You don't call that entry level?

Regardless of the pilot's experience level, they pay entry level wages, and are an entry level job.

No advanced qualifications or experience are necessary. It's an entry level job.

Avbug,

While I agree with you in certain ways, I don't agree with you on the "whore" comments. I realize that you don't "like" airline pilots, but there is no reason to get nasty. I would be interested in finding out how much you made at your first aviation job, and your second, if you even made a thing at all. Similar opportunities that you were able to take advantage of just aren't available these days.

(Am I calling you OLD? ;))

*Break* (Everyone)

The truth is, simply, that we are experiencing a shortage of "skilled" pilots. Many of these guys on the street, aside from those furloughed, are the ones that haven't been able to demonstrate the required ability to remain at a job or even get one in the first place. Many of them are difficult to work alongside of. Or, they can't fly a simple NDB approach anymore, if they even could in the first place. Most have no real interest in aviation and are bitter and angry that the perfect job hasn't fallen into their lap.

I just spent my morning last Saturday assisting my company at the Aeroservice Career Fair near KMIA. What I saw was that 50% of the people were the same guys I saw last time. Most of whom were brainless zombies who can't figure their way into, or even out of a direct entry! The next 40% were foreigners who were looking for work in the USA. The last 10% were actually professionals who were looking to take the next step in their career. Overall, it was disappointing.

There is a pilot shortage. Or, a shortage of professional, intelligent pilots with a high aptitude.

Last edited:
Similar opportunities that you were able to take advantage of just aren't available these days.

You may have it just the opposite. The opportunities these days, if one wants to call them that, are considerably greater.

Nowhere to go buy a job when I was growing up.

We found work the old fashioned way.

There's no shortage of pilots, never was.

BTW I think the shortage is slowing down, the number of resumes coming to me has gone up over 300% in the last month. Musch better qualification that seem one year ago. Looks like one of the best kept secrets in the flying world is starting to be leaked. That USA Jet might now be all that bad a place to work, if you like living in Detroit in the winter.

Can we add that to the interview? I can see it now: How do you feel about long winters? Maybe we can have them sit in a grey room and turn on the A/C and see how they handle it? Maybe lock the doors and check on them in 5 months? :D

Last edited:
pilotyip if you really believe this, you are crazy! the only reason you're getting resumes is because 3000 pilots just lost their job. see you at the tavern. i'll actually be at johnnys grill. at least some hot girls work there.

USA Jet isn't a bad place to work. I can start with a list of places that it is better than right now: Sun Country, Sky Bus, Frontier, Mesa, Aloha, ATA, and a list of other airlines that are either shut down, in bankruptcy, or soon to be bankrupt. While other airlines are shutting down and asking for concessions we are growing and diversifying. I guess it all depends on what your definition of "good place to work" is. The way it's shaping up I think some people are just going to be happy to be employed. You can complain all you want about your job, but when it disappears I can guarantee you that you will be wishing you had something to complain about. Furloughs at the majors are right around the corner if things continue at this pace. Like it has been stated before on this board, "We just witnessed the shortest period of good times ever." What I am trying to say is that if you just lost your job we are a good option, and you won't have to make poverty wages first year. Now if someone can invent a Jet that runs on water we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Oh..... and I will see you at MIS, on the golf course, at the short track, on the boat, and at the Tiger's game..... most of this while I am sitting on call and getting paid. (The true beauty part of my job, except my suitcase & uniform are in my car) You couldn't be more right about Johnny's though! Although I am fond of the new Buffalo Wild Wings, the pool tables and dueling pianos at Pub 13, and 3 dollar breakfast at the Red Apple. Yip isn't so bad once you figure out where to go. I think we need to have a YIP area get together. We can do it somewhere besides the wedge and on one of my days off. Don't worry YIP I'll offset the extra cost of the beers by buying you one. I say we pick a date, put it on Flight Info and see who shows up. Might be interesting. We can even have Belville cab drive those that choose to indulge home. :eek:

Last edited:
Most have no real interest in aviation and are bitter and angry that the perfect job hasn't fallen into their lap.

Winner, Winner, Chicken Dinner! You have to want it more than the next guy! This is true in any career.

Last edited:
You could just have them drive through Southgate, Taylor, and Romulus in a car with Ohio plates on it. If they survive, give em the job and a promotion. :nuts:

I drive a wrecked (hit a deer leaving YIP) car that was made in Detroit, and I have Tennessee plates. I fit right in. But then again with gas prices the way they are I have to have a darn good reason to drive anywhere. PilotYip has a Detroit relic for sell right now, and I bet you would never catch any slack for driving that ride either. There are two driving seasons in Michigan, pothole season and ticket season. It seems they use one to pay for the other. That is why I rarely leave my cage, ah hummm, I mean my apartment.

Last edited:
I drive a wrecked (hit a deer leaving YIP) car that was made in Detroit, and I have Tennessee plates. I fit right in. But then again with gas prices the way they are I have to have a darn good reason to drive anywhere. PilotYip has a Detroit relic for sell right now, and I bet you would never catch any slack for driving that ride either. There are two driving seasons in Michigan, pothole season and ticket season. It seems they use one to pay for the other. That is why I rarely leave my cage, ah hummm, I mean my apartment.

except the potholes are never fixed. worst roads in the country. i use to drive an audi around yipsy and got a lot of dirty looks. everytime i stopped in the dairy mart near my old crash pad it was expected that i was looking to buy crack. now i just drive the crew van since i am home based. i vote for the meet and greet to take place at de ja vue in downtown yipsy. no one will complain about the price of beer in there.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back