Looking to go from Airline to Corp.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Throttlebender said:
...and having to deal with a lot of complaining. ;)

Cheers
Throttle,

The first response to the guy's question wasn't "complaining", it was a ranting diatribe and totally uncalled for. The guy merely asked a question. Perhaps Milmil isn't familiar with corporate aviation and its culture...and that rates double-barreled vitriol ? A few kind words to inform ala con-pilot's response would've have been more appropriate, adult, and professional.

AA717,

There is never a reason for one group of professionals to "diss" another over their respective career choices/paths. It's just beneath our dignity.

For the life of me, I can't see where corp pilots get the idea airline guys look down on them. It just AIN'T SO !!! Perhaps I've flown with a few more airline pilots than westwind driver and heard a few more of their opinions; I've never heard a disparaging comment about corp pilots. There would be no reason for it.

It would be interesting to see what westwind would do if the situation were reversed and corp aviation took a dump industrywide...and the airlines were hiring. It's all about having a flying job....some you'd like better than others but we all do what we can to keep the $$$ coming in, right ?

Frankly, I suspect westwind driver's reply is just an attempt at baiting anyway. If he really feels that way....two words: "anger...management"

Bafanguy,

All good points, but for the sake of argument...and not westwind driver's argument mind you. But, I have personally known several current and furloughed airline guys that "look down" on corpoorate flying. They don't say anything negative about the pilots. I assume that's because everyone has the right to make their own career choices. No, it seems to be more about the flying itself. To many that go to or are trying to go to the airlines, the corporate world just isn't as lucrative or prestigious(man I hope I spelled that correctly). However, it's looking great to them right now, or at least until they get a recall letter. So, when the industry is in the state that it is and everyone is having a hard time, it stands to reason that some pilots would become upset with the added competition.
Anyway, as I stated earlier, I hope the industry picks up for everyone. And, even though I may not like the extra competition, that doesn't mean that it shouldn't happen. It's all fair. Period.

Been many years since I flew corporate out of CXY, and that flight department is long gone, but RITEAID, Harsco and Hershey all had decent flight departments. My experience with corporate flying, and I'll admit I was far from a resounding success, was that you had to have an "in" to be seriously considered.
AA717DRIVER gives good advice. BTW have you considered the FEDS? They have offices in the geographical areas you targeted and may well pay about what you would get in the corporate world.

Bafan--The "dissing" part of my post was on a personal level. All of those in question have known each other for a long time. My friend and I have been "airline oriented" since we started flying. What I thought at the time(7 years ago) was "what the ***k are you thinking?!". What I told him was "great, hope it works out". It has--for both of us. Every time this company had an opening he would call and ask if I was interested. I politely said no and that I would ride TWA to the end(I did.). I kept my options open without even realizing it.

Also, my friend's ex-wife is a USAir Capt who is going through the pain of realizing her company and job may not be around. So, I'm going to call her and give her the benefit of my extensive experience in 'trashed career counseling' ;) .TC

To all,

Thx for the replies and the suggestions. It looks like I stepped on a hornet's nest.

Specifically, to "Westwind driver": Wow. It seems that you're upset with me simply because I have better qualifications/experience than you do. My guess is you are a lot younger also. Do you really feel that a pilot shouldn't be able to move between fields in aviation? Have you thought out that concept?

I started out flight instructing when I was 18 years old flew 135 in light twins for years then got my big break being a co-pilot on a Beech -99 loading bags in the belly pod in beautiful places like JST, PSB, AOO so I do know how hard it is to make it in this industry. Now that I am getting older I would rather not drive a long distance to work anymore and would prefer a job that didn't have me RONing ten plus days a month. So I posted my question. I am sorry that it upset you so much.

To "con-pilot": I am way to use to forums that have a spell checker. You are absolutely right. If I ever get enough guts :) to post here again I will proof read my posts more carefully. ( how did I do this time?)

milmil

Last edited:
westwind driver said:
YOU STEAL JOBS from those DEDICATED corporate pilots who EARNED and NETWORKED their way through corporate, and didn't use it as a mear STEPPING STONE to go to the AIRLINES.

BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER, and that is why CORPORATE STAYS WITH CORPORATE....
Thats funny you mean you kissed ass to get your job now your pissed because someone with real expierence might take a job you feel you deserve. Heres some advice for you get some expierence and interview for a better job dont try and talk your way into one.

MilMil I understand your situation I was there recently. I left a growing regional as a fairly senior captain for corporate. It was the most difficult decision Ive made in my aviation career. Turns out to be the best one Ive made also. I love corporate, no commute, better pay, and flying into some of the best places in the world.

My advice is do alot of research on the company you plan on working for, talk to the pilots and if you feel you are better off there make the move. Anyway good luck with your decision and try to make the best of whatever you decide to do.

MilMil: That you Miller? Whoever you are if you did the 99 thing for Penn Commuter it was a character building experience. All for 647.00 dollars a month if I recall correctly.(PCA circa 78-79)
Best of luck, you certainly deserve it.

scarface said:
MilMil: That you Miller? Whoever you are if you did the 99 thing for Penn Commuter it was a character building experience. All for 647.00 dollars a month if I recall correctly.(PCA circa 78-79)
Best of luck, you certainly deserve it.

Scarface,

Why yes it is. :)

Milmil said:
To all,

Thx for the replies and the suggestions. It looks like I stepped on a hornet's nest.

Specifically, to "Westwind driver": Wow. It seems that you're upset with me simply because I have better qualifications/experience than you do. My guess is you are a lot younger also. Do you really feel that a pilot shouldn't be able to move between fields in aviation? Have you thought out that concept?

I started out flight instructing when I was 18 years old flew 135 in light twins for years then got my big break being a co-pilot on a Beech -99 loading bags in the belly pod in beautiful places like JST, PSB, AOO so I do know how hard it is to make it in this industry. Now that I am getting older I would rather not drive a long distance to work anymore and would prefer a job that didn't have me RONing ten plus days a month. So I posted my question. I am sorry that it upset you so much.

To "con-pilot": I am way to use to forums that have a spell checker. You are absolutely right. If I ever get enough guts :) to post here again I will proof read my posts more carefully. ( how did I do this time?)

milmil
Milmil, welcome, and don't listen to that idiot Westwind. Most of us corporate guys are very respectful of fellow aviators, as we are humbled by the fact that it takes a certain amount of luck to get one of the "good" corporate jobs. A lot of the good corporate jobs have no problem hiring 121 guys, however you need to get to know the corporate world.

Latest resources

Back