Looking to go from Airline to Corp.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Milmil

I am lokking for help in trying to make the change into corporate. Where can I get a listings of the corporate flt depts in my area. Specifically; MDT, PHL, ILM, RDG. Any thoughts.... ideas would also be apreciated. Thx

you know, I'm a low time pilot who just within the last year earned my first ever type rating... It has taken me thousands and thousands of dollars for my flight training, and finally I get a lucky break... so, in a few years from now, after I gain more experience, accumulate more time, and make captain, some AIRLINE captain like yourself suddenly decides AIRLINE flying isn't GOOD ENOUGH for him anymore, so he's gonna get into corporate. Well let me tell you something....

YOU REAP WHAT YOU SOW!!!!! I am sick and tired of hearing about airline pilots and FAs whine bitch and moan about how little they make, that they need to be paid more, and because of your stupid unions, and the fact that basically the pilots have the airlines by the nuts, the Execs of the airlines GIVE IN..... but now after 9/11, when it comes full circle and you realize "OH SH!T!!!!, this company is broke, we're gonna have to take pay cuts, or get furloughed etc etc etc, I better find another sector of aviation. OH! I know! I'll undercut and undermine dedicated corporate guys and once my slot reopens, or I can get on with another airline, I'll drop everything and go back to them... so I can still get my $250,000/yr pension." WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU AIRLINE PILOTS??!?!?!?

you made a decision, STICK WITH IT. Just because you airline pilots and FAs drive your company under doesn't mean you can just come to corporate when the sh!t hits the fan... YOU STEAL JOBS from those DEDICATED corporate pilots who EARNED and NETWORKED their way through corporate, and didn't use it as a mear STEPPING STONE to go to the AIRLINES.

BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER, and that is why CORPORATE STAYS WITH CORPORATE....

A little stronger than I might have said, but I have to agree with you. Everyone one is entitled to change their path, but it does seem as though a lot of airline folks are jumping ship. Three years ago we wouldn't see this trend at all. I personally hope the industry picks back up so we all have good jobs. However, right now I'd prefer not having to compete with airline guys that suddenly like the way things look on the corp side of the fence.

Good luck to all

Milmil,

Still wanna fly corporate and get a steady diet of Captain westwind driver ? LOL LOL LOL

Yea, I bet that would be a b!tch huh? Transitioning to corp and having to deal with a lot of complaining. Then again, most pilots I know are whiners anyway. ;)

Cheers

Milmil--If you don't mind making $60k a year dumping lavs, hauling LV bags and trash, checking on catering and listening to your pax bitch because the Evian isn't at the proper temperature, this job may be for you.

I'm lucky, I get to do the above for more than $60k--but those jobs are rare. I got my current job because a good friend didn't 'diss' his friend in corporate aviation and I didn't 'diss' my friend because he left Continental in the mid '90's to take a corporate job. Know anyone like that? If so, you might have an "in". If not, start looking at airlinepilotpay.com and see what Netjets pays.

Sorry, but that's the harsh truth.

Good luck.

TC
ex-TWA DC-9, 717 Captain

P.S.--Maybe ALPA will give you the same support they gave the TWA pilots... Oops, I guess they did. :rolleyes:

Milmil, sorry about the first response you got, however that sometimes is the attitude of a minority of corporate pilots with a civilian background (and I am not saying it is wrong or right mind you). I am a corporate pilot with a civilian background that was in the right place at the right time. I did spend a ten-year period as a Boeing 727 captain for the US government and I am now back in corporate aviation because a former employer hired me away from that job for a lot of money.

Now the first lesson you need to learn is to proof read, “lokking”, it does not take long and it will help people to take you seriously. The second lesson it to NEVER ask the question you asked to start this thread, the world of corporate aviation has done very well without you and really does not need you. I noticed that to the question of MIL/CIV you had Civilian. Therefore, unlike me (small joke), you did not start out in the left seat of a large jet airliner as captain. So may I ask just how you became an airline captain with 17,000+ hours?

One may only assume that perhaps that you started out in the instructor/charter world. Or maybe a corporate pilot? Then that is the route you should use to return to the non-Airline world.

OK, back to the subject at hand. Tell the truth. Statements along the lines of “I am a current Airline Captain for XYZ Airlines and I have lost my pension, taken massive pay cuts I’m in my mid to late 50s and the only thing I know how to do is fly airplanes and my airline is (pick one, in bankruptcy, soon to be in bankruptcy or soon to be liquidated), please help.” will set the right attitude.

Nobody is fooled by the statement along the lines of “Oh gosh, I’m tired of being an overpaid, under worked, union member ‘Airline Captain’, I think I’ll take a pay cut (then again maybe not with all the Airline Union salary concessions) and fly those cute little jets.”

If you do get a corporate job (and you probably will because the very rich are rather stupid outside their area expertise) please, PLEASE do not try to show us “How it is done.” NEVER say, “Well in the ‘Airlines’ we did it this way.” Please reread the second paragraph of this post.

My best advice to you is to apply to a fractional ownership operation; they fly the closest to 121 type of ops you can find in the corporate world.

All the above is just my opinion you understand.

Good Luck! (No really I mean it, good luck)

Last edited:
You guys need to lighten up you all take yourselves way to serious. I know of corporate pilots who could not handle the regiment of airline flying, and big brother (FAA) always looking for a reason to write a LOI. On the other hand I know of airline pilots who would not make it in the corporate world without the operational support and an Ops. Manual to tell them how to wipe their arse! From a corporate stand point I would be weary of hiring an airline pilot “without a corporate background” and willing to resign there seniority, typically they are not as smooth and are harder on the equipment, dido for ex-military.

I spent nearly six years in the corporate world, and then went the airline route. I am waiting for the economy to improve and the right corporate job in the right place and I will bail on my airline gig, why? I just like corporate flying more.

You want to move from airlines to corporate with no experience, go spend a couple of years at a fractional and get a handle on the customer service aspect. It’s a tough road overcoming the airline stigma with or without a corporate background.

Regards:

L.G.

Last edited:
Milmil said:
I am lokking for help in trying to make the change into corporate. Where can I get a listings of the corporate flt depts in my area. Specifically; MDT, PHL, ILM, RDG. Any thoughts.... ideas would also be apreciated. Thx
You , and it seems, everybody else wants to do the same lately. I don't blame you, I did the same thing this year and I am now wondering why I waited so long to do it. What helped me do it was prior corporate flying experience and the contacts that I made during that period.

Have no prior corporate experience or connections? Well, then you might want to get your hands on a NBAA Directory. You might also check the web sites of the major corporations in the area where you want to work, most now post such job openings in the career section on the site.

There are also some placement services out there (can't think of any names right now) that you can talk to about placement in a corporate job.

Last edited:
Jesus westwind, "pilots have the airlines by the nuts"? "Airline execs gave in"? You might want to look back a few years and see how much control "unions" have over any airline. Regardless, I think you might have painted with a pretty broad brush. I know several airline pilots that have been trying to get into the corporate world long before the recent string of events. They just happened to be flying 121 because that was the first job they were offered after instructing.
I have found obtaining a corporate job to be very challenging, and most job postings are filled prior any ad or post by internal recs. There are some jobs out there but most seem to be 91/135 as opposed to the higher paying, better qol 91 gigs. Good luck to the airways gent looking for work and congrats on your type westwind.

Latest resources

Back