Looking to go from Airline to Corp.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
westwind driver said:

Yep, spoken like a true airline pilot....

Maybe if you didn't have your head so far up your own a$$, you would have read the part where I said; "westwind driver: you know, I'm a low time pilot who just within the last year earned my first ever type rating... It has taken me thousands and thousands of dollars for my flight training, and finally I get a lucky break... so, in a few years from now, after I gain more experience, accumulate more time, and make captain…."

did you get that part? I did not kiss ass to get my job, I worked hard for it, got to know people, got my name out there and networked. I don't bitch about whether or not I deserve a certain flying job or pay, and sure don't try to talk my way into anything.

and of course you completely missed my point because why would I want to quit my job? I'm a 1500 hour pilot with PIC quals. in the Westwind (a turbojet aircraft) I don't have an SOE limitation and we are soon to start flying charter. This is my opportunity to gain experience and build time.

So, my point was that FIVE YEARS from now if I'm looking for a different position, I would much rather compete with more qualified corporate pilots, and not an airline pilot who may not have any knowledge of the corporate world of flying, but got hired because the boss thinks "oh, he's an airline pilot.. he must know what he's doing, oh and he has a lot of experience."

I'm not one to ever take away from another fellow pilot's total time and experience... but when I finally get a 60k+/Yr job interview, I would rather it go to the Gulfstream captain than the Boeing captain who has more experience than I do... GET IT?
Ok now your age is showing but first off congratulations on a type at 21 thats very good I had to wait til I was 23 for my type. As you learn more about this industry you will find out that total time and experience doesnt automatically get you a job over someone less qualified. Attitude plays a big part in the decision to hire one person over the other. You should concentrate on building your time and when you do get the interview your waiting for dont worry about who your competing with just keep a positive attitude. That will take you farther than tens of thousands of hours.

Thank you for the congrats. I know I have showed my arse a bit, but give me time.. I will get better... or so the nurse says :)

I'm glad to see that guys like you can keep a cool head and actually turn a post like mine around into something positive.. thanks for the advice, I will try to heed.

So, can't we all just get along?! :) :) :)

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread and will continue to do so....
Regards.

timmay said:
Ok now your age is showing but first off congratulations on a type at 21 thats very good I had to wait til I was 23 for my type. As you learn more about this industry you will find out that total time and experience doesnt automatically get you a job over someone less qualified. Attitude plays a big part in the decision to hire one person over the other. You should concentrate on building your time and when you do get the interview your waiting for dont worry about who your competing with just keep a positive attitude. That will take you farther than tens of thousands of hours.

bafanguy said:
Milmil,

Still wanna fly corporate and get a steady diet of Captain westwind driver ? LOL LOL LOL
"Corporate Pilot?"....

Westwind Driver sounds like a beat up charter puke.

If having a Westwind type rating (no matter what your age) has put you on a pedestal, you are, well....strange.

I would sell mine for 50$ if possible.

"corporate is in my blood".....WTF? did someone actually SAY that??

**SMACK**

P.S. "First Officer/Junior Captain"....whats that? OH....FSI gave you a type rating so you are a "Captain"...I see......

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Hey Miller mayybe we could get Dale Clemens to give us our old flight instructor jobs back at Clark Aviation.
After we do that for a few years they can just throw us in a tar pit.

Gulfstream 200 said:
"Corporate Pilot?"....

Westwind Driver sounds like a beat up charter puke.

If having a Westwind type rating (no matter what your age) has put you on a pedestal, you are, well....strange.

I would sell mine for 50$ if possible.

"corporate is in my blood".....WTF? did someone actually SAY that??

**SMACK**

P.S. "First Officer/Junior Captain"....whats that? OH....FSI gave you a type rating so you are a "Captain"...I see......

:rolleyes:

Oh lets see how I should address this....

1. I haven't flown charter at all. All the experience I have is flying with local people I have met and keep in contact with. When I was 11 I attended FSI recurrent on the Citation 560 with a family member and flew right seat in the simulator during his sim sessions. The FSI class and sim instructors felt I performed so well, that after a subsequent visit to FSI on Citation 650 recurrent, the center manager gave me an open invitation to attend FSI Citation 500 and 650 series recurrents and fly right seat in the sims. I took this opportunity and did just that every summer until I turned 16, flying with 16 different pilots of a Fortune 500 company. I didn't have a full time gig up until Jan. this year. Before I flew on a King Air 200 as often as the operator needed, and flew many trips for free to build up SIC turbine time. I have flown SIC on numerous Westwinds based all over the US from Florida to Arkansas, Indiana and Virginia. I have flown twin cessnas on maintence flights and with friends and family. Up untill recently all I used to do was contract flying... chasing jobs and opportunitys that I could get. And I still do it.

2. Why would you think I am of the opion that having a type rating elevates me above anyone else? You need to justify this statement, otherwise my friend, you simply sound foolish. I do not think myself to be better than anyone else just because I hold a type rating. Like the program manager at Simuflite told me, "This is a license to learn." I am humble believe me.

3. As far as corporate being in my blood; I have family that flies corporate. So-be-it that I am biased to corporate, but it is what I have been exposed to, and I have enjoyed it very much. Corporate flying has been good to my family. Thats why some of them fly for Fortune 500 and Fortune 300 companies.. Who did you say you flew for again? And allow me to ask this question; Would it be so rediculous if someone said, "flying is in my blood?" I didn't think so.

4. As for First Officer/Junior Captain... Well, thats what it says on my employment offer letter. Is it so hard for you to imagine that I serve the capacity as a FO/SIC, and as a Junior Captain/SIC. Maybe I work under better pilots and for a better operation than you. I consider it an honor that my chief pilot and the Senior Captain allow me to make "Captain" decisions, with of course their supervision. Sometimes I am allowed a decision, which maybe the senior pilot disagrees with me on, and we go with the senior pilot. Plain and simple. They are gracious enough to delegate some authority to me so that I may learn from their better judgement. They have taken me under their wing so to say, no pun intended. Ultimately of course, the senior pilot has the final say and authority, which I fully respect.

5. I went to Simuflite and got my type. So before you make assumptions, research my posts and read them properly.

6. Gulfstream G200... thats a Galaxy... why is it Westwind pilots are treated like Gulfstreams red-headed cousin, but the Galaxy drivers now think of themselves as part of the Gulfstream brotherin... What about us westwind folks? :)

uh oh...where's Gulfstream 200...this might be a candidate for his new signature line.

Falcon Capt said:
Now THAT was the WRONG thing to say on this board!
Thats right, I had the balls to say it. I recieved no compensation because the B200 operator didn't actually NEED me on the trip, but they did agree to pick up my expenses, food/hotel.... BUT, most of the time, the owner would 'tip' me $50 when we got back home. Sometimes he would hand me a wad of $20s, and when I would get in my car to leave the airport, it was $140-160... to me, it was quite worth it. I don't fly for chicken poop now... i did eventually get burned that way....

uh oh, the tips word...where's netjetwife?

Any more trigger words or subjects?

Latest resources

Back