Looking for JALways/WASINC info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
(o) (o) said:
Curious what the pay is working for those guys?

Fill out the the online apps. They will send you the contact terms and pay rates. It's as simple as that. Just because they send you the app doesn't mean you want to go to work there. What's the worst that can happen, they call you for interview?

(o) (o) said:
Upgrade to captain in 3 years? I thought at the 3-year mark, your contract expires and you go looking for another job, no?

Where did you learn this nonsense? We have guys here who have been here since JAL began hiring Westerners 15 years ago. The upgrade time is three years, with some who have upgraded in two. That might be extended to four years, but no one is complaining.

dojetdriver said:
if they are downsizing or getting rid of a fleet type, like the DC-10's they shedded, it's sorry guys, no more planes for you to fly, bye bye.

That's also not entirely true. The DC-10 pilots moved to the 747, but the FEs were let go.

Resocha said:
That's also not entirely true. The DC-10 pilots moved to the 747, but the FEs were let go.
I see, sorry. I thought they let them all go, not just the FE's.

Last edited:
Resocha said:
Where did you learn this nonsense? We have guys here who have been here since JAL began hiring Westerners 15 years ago. The upgrade time is three years, with some who have upgraded in two. That might be extended to four years, but no one is complaining.

I learned that "nonsense" from the term "contract" that is attached to that job.

I hope you weren't offended by the question. It was not meant to.

One more thing, just out of curiousity, why do they hire westerners to begin with?

Aren't japanese people really proud?

Again, this is not meant to stir the pot, I am trying to know more about Jal and their pay.

Thanks!

Last edited:
dojetdriver said:
Fill out the the online apps. They will send you the contact terms and pay rates. It's as simple as that. Just because they send you the app doesn't mean you want to go to work there. What's the worst that can happen, they call you for interview?

dojet, thanks for that. But I am not looking for a job. Just trying to see what's it is all about since I hear about people interviewing with them left and right.

good luck!

JALways hires westerners because they cannot upgrade their own pilots to Captain positions fast enough. It takes roughly 10 years for a Japanese Cadet to go from the street to the left seat. They are facing a CRITICAL shortage of Captains in the next 5/7 years. To the point of not being able to fly their current schedule, much less any expansion that may be considered. Just to many retirements. A western pilot can be brought up to speed and delivered into the left seat in 2/3 years for less money in both training and pay.

Helmsmen

Latest resources

Back