Looking for JALways/WASINC info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjh

Can anybody tell me anything about what it's like working for JALways? Typical Schedule/days off/hours per month? Is it easy to massage your schedule and pick up/drop trips? Heard the upgrade is currently 2-3 years. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Only thing I know is the medical's a bear. many don't pass it. They send you to Minnesota to the Mayo Clinic.

Sim ride at DEN. You have to show the proper level of seriousness or they will bust you. You can nail the ride but if you are conversing with the other interviewee in the right seat, you're gone.

They will send you to Tokyo if there are any aspects of the medical that are iffy. They check body mass index (no way I'd make it!) and the cholesterol has to be pretty low. The docs at NASA think the medical is a little anal. (Just kidding...sort of! ;) ).TC

The written exams are very similar to the old TWA writtens....

rjh said:
Can anybody tell me anything about what it's like working for JALways? Typical Schedule/days off/hours per month? Is it easy to massage your schedule and pick up/drop trips? Heard the upgrade is currently 2-3 years. Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Schedules are are all HNL-based, with trips into SE Asia through Japan. Have 7-day through Australia, 3-day trips through Nagoya and Narita. Rounds from NRT through MNL and GUM. Min days off/month are 10, average monthly is around 70 hours (just guessing). Upgrade now running about 2.5 years.

Massaging the schedule is difficult to evaluate, because there is little consistency. The problem is that there are three contract companies and one JALways, modeled after JAL, whose schedules are completely inflexible. They are more willing to add trips to your sked than to drop. Plus, they are wary about dropping trips if it puts you below your guarantee. It can be done, but not with the ease of most American companies. If it would be something you would need every month for commuting, then the inflexibilities would make you miserable and I recommend against it. However, there are scheduling bid tricks that can help commuters.

Last edited:
AA717driver said:
Sim ride at DEN. You have to show the proper level of seriousness or they will bust you. You can nail the ride but if you are conversing with the other interviewee in the right seat, you're gone.

They will send you to Tokyo if there are any aspects of the medical that are iffy. They check body mass index (no way I'd make it!) and the cholesterol has to be pretty low. The docs at NASA think the medical is a little anal. (Just kidding...sort of! ;) ).TC

Not entirely true. During interview, right seat is filled by JALways interviewer, who asks you questions during the sim ride. Other interviewer in FE seat. WASINC interviewer operates sim. There are no other candidates in the sim during the interview.

During interview process, you only go to Tokyo if the results from Mayo are questionable. BMI must be below .27, and cholesterol below 200.

You are right. NASA believes the JAL medical has gone too far!

Resocha--Sorry about the sim ride screw up. After I posted, I remembered who the source was and she's a little shaky (credibility-wise). Let's just say they are very rigid. :D

If you run into Duncan, tell him TC says hi! TC

D--I should have known. :D We're starting our "Asia Season" soon so I'll PM you if I get over to NRT or points beyond. Do you guys ever lay over in BKK? We get there a bunch. Take care.TC

Latest resources

Back