Looking for JALways/WASINC info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey TC;

Yes JALways flies to Bangkok "Pearl of the Orient" but right now that flight is being covered by Japanese crews. Right now I am sitting in Sydney waiting on a Compressor Fan blade change for some FOD damage. Gee an extra 24 hours in Sydney I guess I can tough it out. Mostly I have been flying Tokyo, Manila, and Austrailia.

I will be doing the interviews for WASINC in Denver during part of MArch. If you are going to be in the Mile HIgh city between the 2nd and the 18th let me know and we can arrange a formation flight to a bar for refueling purposes.

Fly high and long Grasshopper;

D

Is it true that there really is no trip trade/drop/pickup system in place at JALways? I've heard that you basically get your schedule and that is it. Do you get paid for sims, briefings and such or is it only block time?

Also, is it true that the Japanese will fail you on your checkride for questionable reasons? (Like they just don't like you)

One more question,

What is the pay like at JALways between the contractors IASCO, HACS, WASINC.

I have my stuff in with all three just want to choose the best one.

Take A said:
Is it true that there really is no trip trade/drop/pickup system in place at JALways? I've heard that you basically get your schedule and that is it. Do you get paid for sims, briefings and such or is it only block time?

Also, is it true that the Japanese will fail you on your checkride for questionable reasons? (Like they just don't like you)

There is not an effective trip trade/drop system. It's mostly by unofficial request. No pay for sims. Line pay is the greater of block or actual. If you need schedule flexibility, this is not the job for you. Not trying to be smarta$$, it's just the reality.

To say they fail you for questionable reasons is true, yet it's untrue. If you disrespect their culture or their techniques, you likely will not be working here long. If you arrive in training and spout all of the reasons why the airplane should be flown this way or that way, they won't like you too much. But if you show a genuine attempt to perform per their methods, you won't have a problem. The way they see it is that they are the largest 747 operator in the world, and have been operating the airplane longer than nearly anybody, with an excellent safety record.

Things are the way they are. The quicker a new employee accepts that, the easier it will be for him.

Take A said:
One more question,

What is the pay like at JALways between the contractors IASCO, HACS, WASINC.

I have my stuff in with all three just want to choose the best one.

Choice? In this industry?

Each contractor is at the same hourly rate, but IASCO and HACS have slightly higher minimum guarantees (I believe). However, WASINC offers a 401(k).

Instead of trying to choose one, I recommend interviewing at each and accepting employment at whichever offers the job first. You can always switch after your contract has been fulfilled.

New hires at all three contract companies are at 50 hour guarentee. WASINC pilots are paid 14.8% less salary. WASINC then places the 14.8% in a DAP retirement plan that is administered by Merrill Lynch. IASCO pays all the money upfront and leaves retirement planning up to the individual pilot. The WASINC method has some positive tax implications as that 14.8% is tax deferred. However you are not vested in the full amount until you complete 3 years from date of hire. The IASCO method can be a positive for pilots that are planning for retirement through Real Estate investment as it gives you more borrowing ability. WASINC also offers a 401K style retirement account that you can contribute up to the IRS maximum each year.

Most importantly if you are trying to decide which company to go with is that WASINC is interviewing in March and IASCO not until late spring, early summer. The next class is slated to be in May and will be comprised of the pilots who interview in March.

How are ther layovers? Are the hotels nice? I hear the Asian ones aren't that nice.

What is the hourly pay rate for F/O's?

Do many people stay at JALways or do they go to the legacy carriers?

Pilots who have line numbers at major airlines, do they resign and stay at JAL?

Just trying to figure out if this is a good place to stay, but I guess you would have to experience it first hand.

Take A said:
How are ther layovers? Are the hotels nice? I hear the Asian ones aren't that nice.

What is the hourly pay rate for F/O's?

Do many people stay at JALways or do they go to the legacy carriers?

Pilots who have line numbers at major airlines, do they resign and stay at JAL?

Just trying to figure out if this is a good place to stay, but I guess you would have to experience it first hand.

Layovers are awesome, overall. Hotels like the Nikko in NRT are nice, but it's way outside of Tokyo, although downtown Narita is cool. Osaka is very nice, but you stay at Kansai. Nagoya is OK, but it's right downtown. Brisbane is a suit on the waterfront. Sydney is OK, and just a 10-minute train ride to The Rocks. Manila sucks anywhere. The old Bangkok hotel was a hole, but JAL does that route now.

The FO hourly rate starts at $95/hour up to 65 hours. Over 65 hours is paid at $114/hour.

People usually only leave JALways (after all, it's part of a "legacy" carrier) if they have a seniority number and get recalled back in the states. The upgrades here are so short, it seems that most guys stay and take the upgrade to 747 CA, versus returning to MD80 FO back in the states.

It's a great place to stay, considering what else is out there. Where are you working now?

Latest resources

Back