• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Looking for JALways/WASINC info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Actually my "yes they do" comment was about the type rating question. As for animosity, not really. The Japanese fully understand the predicament that they are in concerning their Captain shortage. I have never, repeat never, had a Japanese pilot be rude to me. Just would not happen in Japan, its a cultural thing.

As for the type rating it is initially administered in Denver on your FAA ticket. The FAA rating is then converted to a JCAB commercial type rating and you go to school in Japan for the JCAB ATP rating and ticket. The total training is about 6 weeks in Denver and about 3 months in Japan. There are several breaks throughout and lots of chances to eat Sushi and drink overpriced coffee. Not to mention drinking beer and chasing an asian social agenda.

Interviewing started yesterday and so far is going well. Good luck to the 72 guys that are interviewing this month.

Regards;

Helmsmen

8 for a class in May and another 8 for a class later in the year, not sure when. I realise that in comparison to most interviewees to openings this seems like a bunch but the simulator check is very difficult and the medical weeds out a bunch as well.

Helmsmen

(o) (o) said:
So what is the deal with the "six months in tokyo" part? What do they do there? train to eat sushi?

By Western standards the training is extremely inefficient. But JALways is dealing with JAL's "we've always done it this way" mentality and the Japanese government requirements. For example, you take two classes and two tests for your radiotelephone operators permit: radio law and radio engineering. You learn all about not only propogation of various waves, but you also learn the rules of how you open a radio station in Japan. You have to take a JCAB-administered Aviation Law exam that happens only three times per year. And of course, scattered throughout the government stuff is the stuff pilots really care about, such as systems, CPT, and sim. There are changes, but it is slow. The original guys used to train in Tokyo for about a year, now it's down to three months for the next class. I had a great time in Tokyo. It's a great experience if you want it to be.

Last edited:
Thanks for the explanation.

I have a friend going through the process now.

Sounds like a good place to hang out for a while.

But from reading on here, seems like success rate is quite low.

(o) (o) said:
Thanks for the explanation.

I have a friend going through the process now.

Sounds like a good place to hang out for a while.

But from reading on here, seems like success rate is quite low.

For some, it's a great place to be. A lot of people don't like it though, it all depends on what you want. If you're trying to commute 12 time zones to the east coast, you probably will not be happy, although we have a few commuters who do enjoy it.

The recent success rate (in the last couple years) for new hires I believe is 100%, but Helsman can give you more accurate info. In the past it was lower, but there have been some improvements in the system. People can make it really tough on themselves, or relatively easy, depeding how they respect the Japanese and their interesting way of doing things.

(o) (o) said:
Success rate for interviewees, that's not too high is it?

As for commuting...I am commuting across 16 time zones from U.S. to get to work.. so I know what's it like. IT SUCKS big time. (before anybody thinks i'm crazy, it's once a month commute, not weekly. haha)

But with the long haul flying, at least we don't work all the time.

You guys are all based out of HNL, right? I hear the callsign "jalway" or something to that effect with pure american accent over MNL airspace all the time. I didn't know you guys flew to places in asia other than just NRT from US.

Live and learn eh?

What do you mean, "interviewees?" I wrote the success rate of "new hires" was 100%, meaning "people newly hired," in which case 100% is excellent.

How do you commute across sixteen time zones? Half-way around the world is 12 time zones. A sixteen-timezone-commute is only an 8 hour difference in timezones. You could say you have a 24-hour-timezone commute and drive down the street work...I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

Yes, we're based in HNL. Callsign J-ways. And yes, we go to MNL twice/day out of NRT. The only US destination is HNL. The rest is Japan, Asia, and Australia. Who are you with now?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

[/QUOTE]

16 hour time change, better?

You wrote the "success rate for new-hires". I am referring to the success rate "to be a new-hire"...as in...what is the percentage of the guys showing up for interviews ended up getting hired. Can't put it any simpler than that.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back