Looking for JALways/WASINC info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Helmsmen said:
Make sure that each of you that are going to interview performes due diligence on this position. It is a good job considering the industry today but is not for everyone.

Of all of the information presented here, this is some of the best advice. A lot of people come here with expectations, and a lot of people are disappointed. Not that it's a bad place, but it's different than what most people experience, especially in the US. The Japanese have their ways. They have their own rules and procedures. To be successful here, you have to accept things the way they are, good or bad, right or wrong. The people who struggle against that have a hard time here, and they're unhappy.

It's difficult to get used to that philosophy, in that, as Westerners, we are comfortable questioning the status quo. It's just the opposite here. They're not used to being questioned, so it makes such situations uncomfortable for anyone.

It's all about cultural sensitivities. Fortunately, as pilots, most of us have either lived in or traveled through enough foreign areas that we respect cultural differences. Some people never seem to get it, however.

Personally, I love it here. You just have to be easy-going, polite, confident, and enjoy sampling the many good beers that Asia has to offer.

Anyone know

when the Mar. evals are? Thanks BTW Does knowing someone already in the program help?

does anyone now where to find the info about the IQ, personality and cultural adaptability tests.....i def need to study for the IQ one at least! thanks

dugan jones said:
does anyone now where to find the info about the IQ, personality and cultural adaptability tests.....i def need to study for the IQ one at least! thanks

There's truly not much preparation you can do for those tests, especially the personality profile and cultural adaptability. Do a google search for MMPI and you might find info about the personality test. For the IQ test, there are plenty of on-line IQ tests to practice with.

Resocha said:
The Japanese have their ways. They have their own rules and procedures. To be successful here, you have to accept things the way they are, good or bad, right or wrong.

It's all about cultural sensitivities. Fortunately, as pilots, most of us have either lived in or traveled through enough foreign areas that we respect cultural differences. Some people never seem to get it, however.

Resocha, Helmsman,

Great advice, and so very true. Amazing what sensitivity to other cultures, trying to view things from their shoes, and realizing not everyone in the world wants to be like America can do for getting along in another culture.

I also appreciate the advice on interview prep, although the Captains I fly with are not too thrilled when I turn off all the magic and hand fly the 757 for arrivals and approaches for steam gauge practice :eek:

Personally, I love it here. You just have to be easy-going, polite, confident, and enjoy sampling the many good beers that Asia has to offer

And the food! The small neighborhood soba and yakitori places are the best. You guys ever do the "Garlic Resturant" in Roppongi?

Fly4hire said:
...not everyone in the world wants to be like America can do for getting along in another culture.

The small neighborhood soba and yakitori places are the best. You guys ever do the "Garlic Resturant" in Roppongi?

You're exactly right, and thanks for the advice about the "Garlic Restaurant." I'll certainly check that out, although my wife thinks I never go to Roppongi.

Latest resources

Back