Looking for JALways/WASINC info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
cole said:
Resocha - how long have you been there? I heard the lines are suppose to impove after summer? Is that true? Why have the upgrades slowing down? I thought you guys were getting 400s and 767s starting the beginning of next year. Can they force you to move the frieghter side once it starts up?

Thanks

I've been here a little over 3 years. They say the lines will improve, but I've been through two furloughs (not that I think I'm getting furloughed) and my experience is that management will always put the best spin on any ugly situation. So, although they claim the lines will improve, I'm not going to count on any extra income.

We are getting 400s and 767s. The 400s will begin arriving in 2007 and the 767s by 2009. But there are multiple unknowns: Will they hire directly into those fleets or transition people? Just because JALways is getting the 400s does not guarantee any of us will see it. They've even talked about direct-entry 767 captains (from outside the company), and you can imagine the revolt that would cause.

Until recently this has been a great place to work, but JAL is losing tons of cash and soon will go into severe cost-cutting mode, and JAL has no loyalty to me. I have the type rating and about 1700 hours in the whale, time that will be valuable elsewhere.

Like I said, if you're going to apply here, ask tons of questions. There's nothing really bad about the place, I'm just seeing the same pattern that I've experienced elsewhere, and I'm not optimistic.

KAL is looking for 747 guys. Check out Gap Aviation--they are a recruiter. I recently helped a guy with some 747 sim time that will commute out of DFW. Apparently the rule is you can live within 2 hours of any city served by KAL, so for you guys near major cities that just might work.

http://gapaviation.com

Last edited:
Resocha,

Thanks for responding. Are you in your second contract and getting close to upgrade? Can you be transferred to ANK mid contract or do they have to wait till you renew?

Lifestyle is key for me as well. It's the whole reason I'm considering JALways so if I get the interview I'll ask those questions.

redhd steppilot said:
Resocha,

Thanks for responding. Are you in your second contract and getting close to upgrade? Can you be transferred to ANK mid contract or do they have to wait till you renew?

Lifestyle is key for me as well. It's the whole reason I'm considering JALways so if I get the interview I'll ask those questions.

I'll soon be up for my second contract. There's debate about whether one can be transferred mid-contract, it all depends on interpretation of contract language. I'd post the lingo but I'm on an overnight and the contract is at home, and I can't remember specifically what is written.

This isn't a bad place to work, but it's not the place that was sold to me during my interview.

AlbieF15 said:
KAL is looking for 747 guys. Check out Gap Aviation--they are a recruiter. I recently helped a guy with some 747 sim time that will commute out of DFW. Apparently the rule is you can live within 2 hours of any city served by KAL, so for you guys near major cities that just might work.

http://gapaviation.com

It's for captains only Albie.

We at GAP Aviation are supplying pilots to Korean Air. The next round of interviews has been scheduled in April 2006.
Requirements:
1.500 hours PIC on Type
2.Total PIC of 2000 hours
3.Age limit of 56 years
4.One of the following Type Ratings: B-744, B-777, A-330, or B-737
5. Five year contract (renewable) -- or until retirement age

TP

dc10maniac said:
Any more info about coming interviews or JALways ???

Resocha, are you going to renew your contract?

You sound unhappy.

It's not that I'm unhappy, and it's really not a bad place to work, I'm just frustrated at the way the job is becoming. I've been happy here until recently. Regarding renewing the contract, I'm still on the fence. Just a couple days ago I was offered a job with a competitor, and I'm trying to decide what to do. The pay is substantially better, but I may have to move again. Yech!

R

Last edited:
Resocha said:
It's not that I'm unhappy, and it's really not a bad place to work, I'm just frustrated at the way the job is becoming. I've been happy here until recently. Regarding renewing the contract, I'm still on the fence. Just a couple days ago I was offered a job with a competitor, and I'm trying to decide what to do. The pay is substantially better, but I may have to move again. Yech!

R

But JALways is not getting 744?

Shouldn't you wait til' get the 744 type and PIC time on it before start looking for another place to work?

supermd11 said:
But JALways is not getting 744?

Shouldn't you wait til' get the 744 type and PIC time on it before start looking for another place to work?

Life is full of the shouldas and couldas. By the time I get to 744 captain, I could have already upgraded at the new job. I have to make my decisions based on what I know today to be the best decision, not what might happen in five-plus years. Unfortunately, forecasting a good position in this industry is impossible. I'd hate to wait all those years to learn that the company will direct-hire 744 captains into what I thought was my seat. The company has made no official announcement that the 744 captains will be from the present JALways classic captains.

Latest resources

Back