• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging Landings as a CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CFI's dont make enough money to go rent airplanes even if its for half an hour. I would say that the employer should be willing to let the CFI fly free if they arn't current; I'm not paying for recurrent training in the CFI world. But gettting the landings in with students, even students who are well into their training, should not be a problem. My experience is that students like to see a landing done every now and then by the instructor. Lets them have something to judge their own landings against. If I got a student who cant stand to have me take a landing once in a while, that is probably not someone I want to be flying with anyway.

acaTerry said:
You are all wrong. Read the entire thing. It states that this applies for an aircraft requiring more than one pilot. So the short answer is yes, you log all the landings, and count them for currency. FAR 61.57.
I'm suprised that even CFI's get this wrong.

You're missing the *or* in that reg. Read it again and note the placement of the word *or*.

cfi on the fly said:
CFI's dont make enough money to go rent airplanes even if its for half an hour. I would say that the employer should be willing to let the CFI fly free if they arn't current; I'm not paying for recurrent training in the CFI world. But gettting the landings in with students, even students who are well into their training, should not be a problem. My experience is that students like to see a landing done every now and then by the instructor. Lets them have something to judge their own landings against. If I got a student who cant stand to have me take a landing once in a while, that is probably not someone I want to be flying with anyway.

You know...you're probably right. A lot can be learned by watching. I guess I hadn't thought of it that way.

Official word from the local Flight Standards Office:

CFI's may log all landings, and count them for currency, that are performed when acting as PIC (i.e. student pilots not rated in aircraft).

...HOWEVER...upon reading it myself, IN ENGLISH;) I see that there is no written support to that. So it looks as though you guys are right to be careful on this one.

Of course the issue of whether "saves" by the CFI should count? Who knows....

acaTerry said:
Official word from the local Flight Standards Office:

CFI's may log all landings, and count them for currency, that are performed when acting as PIC (i.e. student pilots not rated in aircraft).

10 different FSDOs will give you 10 different answers, none of which are legally binding.

Latest resources

Back