Logging Landings as a CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly_Chick

Logging landings... As I understand it, in order to log a landing, even as a CFI, I must be the sole manipulator of the controls. Per 61.57, I felt that even as a CFI, I have to be the sole manipulator of the controls on that landing, meaning in my interpretation if we are both on the controls, and I am helping as the CFI, I cannot log that landing. I must be the only one on the controls.

Any comments?

Sec. 61.57 - Recent flight experience: Pilot in command.

(a) General experience. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers or of an aircraft certificated for more than one pilot flight crewmember unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and --

(i) The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls; etc...

no joy on that one. The way i read it, if I have to take the plane and they are a student pilot, the landing becomes mine. If they have a pvt and can act as pic, i just get irate after I have to take the lndg. This really doesn't help, but nobody will ask for out # of lndgs at an interview anyhow, lol.

It is really a question on the regs.... If I have to take the controls and do the landing, I log it. If I "help" on the controls, I do not log it. No, I teach in sunny Florida.... smile

good read. I thought u were in Socal for some reason. I bumped into another CFI recently that had a very close SN. I'm not sure how the reg reads in every situation, but as CFI, i tell my students that if I take the plane for the landing, it's mine; i own own it. :) That usually happens after a grumble, some words, and a quick laugh :)

Fly_Chick said:
It is really a question on the regs.... If I have to take the controls and do the landing, I log it. If I "help" on the controls, I do not log it. No, I teach in sunny Florida.... smile

Where in Florida?

For landings that you use toward currency requirements, you MUST be sole manipulator, doesn't matter if you are a private pilot, a CFI, or a 100,000 hour space shuttle pilot. You must be sole manipulator.

Latest resources

Back