• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logging Landings as a CFI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've gotten into the habit of adding 'student' landings in the remarks column. Same goes for approaches when not in IMC. If it's a currency issue, I ask my students if I can take a few landings from them...they usually don't complain :)

When I first started instructing I would log all the landings in my Logbook. Then I got to thinkin- if I was ever asked which landings I actually did for currency requirements, I wouldn't have an answer. Of course I probably did half the landings, but I couldn't prove which ones. So now I only log the landings in which I had sole control of the yoke. Besides when you go back and count up all the landings you have done in your career, do you really want to take credit for your students? Not some of the ones I've seen!

The reg is absolutely clear. A pilot using a landing for currency purposes must be the "sole manipulator of the controls." No exception for CFIs and students.

Logging the landing, but not for currency? Sure, fine, so long as the FAA, looking at your logbook, can tell the difference with no further explanation from you.

The most interesting thing about these discussions is that everyone seems to forget that the currency rule isn't just about landings. The rule =actually= says:

==============================
(a) General experience.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers or of an aircraft certificated for more than one pilot flight crewmember unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and -
(i) The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls; and

So, for currency purposes, in the usual situation, you can't log the landing unless you also did the takeoff, even if you demonstrated the landing all by yourself (unless you also log sole manipulator takeoffs and can pair them off)

So, for currency purposes, in the usual situation, you can't log the landing unless you also did the takeoff, even if you demonstrated the landing all by yourself (unless you also log sole manipulator takeoffs and can pair them off)

Your caveat is important. There are MD-11 crews that only get 1 takeoff OR 1 landing on a flight. To them it may be more important to log each individually.
Most light aircraft dont worry about that ....

You are all wrong. Read the entire thing. It states that this applies for an aircraft requiring more than one pilot. So the short answer is yes, you log all the landings, and count them for currency. FAR 61.57.
I'm suprised that even CFI's get this wrong.

Last edited:
FlyingBuckI said:
If it's a currency issue, I ask my students if I can take a few landings from them...they usually don't complain :)

Why not let them pay for your currency....while they're paying for you to instruct them no less. Shouldn't cost too much for you to take a 152 up for 3 bounces.

Last edited:
acaTerry said:
You are all wrong. Read the entire thing. It states that this applies for an aircraft requiring more than one pilot.
Where did you get that nonsense? Try reading it again, in English this time. Especially the

"an aircraft carrying passengers or of an aircraft certificated for more than one pilot flight crewmember" part.

You're right though. It =is= amazing that even CFIs get this Private Pilot 101 question wrong.

acaTerry said:
You are all wrong. Read the entire thing. It states that this applies for an aircraft requiring more than one pilot. So the short answer is yes, you log all the landings, and count them for currency. FAR 61.57.
I'm suprised that even CFI's get this wrong.

Read it more carefully:
(a) General experience.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (e) of this section, no person may act as a pilot in command of an aircraft carrying passengers OR of an aircraft certificated for more than one pilot flight crewmember unless that person has made at least three takeoffs and three landings within the preceding 90 days, and -
(i) The person acted as the sole manipulator of the flight controls; and

It uses "or", not "and", which means that you must be sole manipulator for the little GA planes that you carry passengers in too.

Shouldn't cost too much for you to take a 152 up for 3 bounces.
I used to do it that way, until the local flight school closed down and the only thing available to rent is a 172 for $80/hr (plus the $150 membership fee to join the club). Most of my students own their own aircraft, so they're not paying the normal hourly rate, just instruction. That, and living in a small town I know most of my students personally, so they're not so opposed to letting me fly every now and then (at no charge).

Latest resources

Back