Logging flight time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sigler

I was wondering how do you gus go about logging instrument approaches and landings; do you only log the ones you fly as PF or do you log the ones you're PNF also? And how about instrument time, is it even worth logging it in 121 ops? Thanks.

The only approach you might be able to log as PNF might be a CAT II. Same with instrument if your not flying you are really not sole manipulator

"Log" might be a stretch but I do keep track of approaches flown and IMC when I'M the PF.

Haven't added it up in 10 years but the way this business goes I'd like to at least have the records.

Gup

Two separate questions: what can you log and what should you log?

Lots of debate over what you can legally log and it's frankly not worth it. I recommend being very conservative because at this point in the game you've no need to impress anybody. Technique only, but I only log instrument time, approaches, and landings I perform myself. And I only log the approach if I encountered IMC from the FAF inbound. And autopilot use is irrelevant.

If in doubt don't log it and nobody will ever care.

Technique only, but I only log instrument time, approaches, and landings I perform myself. And I only log the approach if I encountered IMC from the FAF inbound. And autopilot use is irrelevant.

Same here, I log:

-landings when I'm the PF
-inst. apps. when I'm the PF and flown (AP or hand) from the FAF inbound
-IMC when in actual IMC and I'm the PF
-night when it is night (obviously) and I'm either the PF or NPF

Same here, I log:

I log it the same way, also.

§ 61.51 Pilot logbooks.

(g) Logging instrument time. (1) A person may log instrument time only for that flight time when the person operates the aircraft solely by reference to instruments under actual or simulated instrument flight conditions.
(2) An authorized instructor may log instrument time when conducting instrument flight instruction in actual instrument flight conditions.
(3) For the purposes of logging instrument time to meet the recent instrument experience requirements of §61.57(c) of this part, the following information must be recorded in the person's logbook—
(i) The location and type of each instrument approach accomplished; and
(ii) The name of the safety pilot, if required.
(4) A person can use time in a flight simulator, flight training device, or aviation training device for acquiring instrument aeronautical experience for a pilot certificate, rating, or instrument recency experience, provided an authorized instructor is present to observe that time and signs the person's logbook or training record to verify the time and the content of the training session.

Same here, I log:

Ditto.

Same here, I log:

Me, too.