• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logbook Lies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can I put that hottie in PGCFII2002's avatar in my logbook?

I don't think she would fit....for obvious reasons.

BrickTop you figure that at one time everyone has rounded up in their favor, but once you get to certain point ou are no longer building time. When you get to my age you start collecting pocket log books and do yearly summaries. From my expereince and from listening to some of my kids friends I would guess that most of the overstating of the log book, happens with pilots bewtween 250- to 2500 hours. Some folks have been caught, some haven't, but you should never over state your skills and abilities..ie 45 hours multi but showing 125.

Well, I have never fudged any time... ;)

During my first airline interview, the interviewer spent all of about 20 sec. in my logbook. I remember thinking...if I had known it was going to be just a quick glance I would have been sitting her about a year earlier.

On the flipside - I went to do my commercial checkride. Me and another student (who was going for an atp) went together. He had penciled in hundreds and hundreds of hours. Well, he went first for his checkride. They returned about 30 mins later. The examiner sat down, typed out his pink slip, and then handed him his logbook. The examiner said, "You need to throw this crap away. You are not a 1500 hour pilot!"

Everybody that conducts interviews sees a lot of logbooks. It's usually painfully obvious when someone has added significant time to their logbook and their knowledge doesn't match the stated hours or they don't recollect some flights that you know they should. It takes a hell of a lot of lying to come up with enough fake hours to make a difference to an employer on paper. The more extensive the lying the easier it is to detect. I'm sure some guys are good enough to pull it off but for the most part I'd say that it's much better to represent yourself as you really are.

SpyFlysDOTs said:
I remember an inspector at RAL FSDO tell a class of CFI's about an ATP applicant that shows up with nearly 500 hrs of Seneca time.
Inspector knew this Seneca was a mud queen at Corona Airport, and knew it rarely flew.
He called the owner and asked how many hrs it had on it and then called in the pilot.
FAA revoked his certificates.
This can and does happen.

I've heard a hundred of these stories. Even the stories of the guy who logged King Air time that was property of the FAA. When he went for his CFI checkride, the examiner asked him about the King Air time. The applicant was told it belonged to the FAA....whatever.

at my last company there was a guy who made it all the way to sim. when some of his former associates that he tried to screw found out he was hired at a 121 airline they called the FAA. when the feds reviewed the logbooks they found out that he had logged a whole bunch of time in a plane that had been grounded for months. after he did a gear up landing in this plane, he continued to log time in it while it was grounded.

Do a log book audit and make a line entry with explanantion.

Day+Nite+TT Multi+SE=TT. Instr. = 10%TT and so forth....

Ever taken a lie detector test? It's amazing how many things you haven't thought about in years flash before your eyes as soon as a question is asked. Whose to say someday TSA/FAA security regulations won't get to the point that you have to take on at your interview, just like with police/corrections jobs. Not saying it will happen, but if it did can you imagine how easy it would be to get a job if you were one of the only guys who haven't fat fingered your log book. It would weed out a HUGE percentage of job seekers. I guarantee the first question they would ask is: "Have you ever made a fradulent entry in your log book". I would ask it if I were them.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back