• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logbook Lies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interviewed w/ some guy who had the nerve to have 2000 total, and only been flyng for for about 18 months...plus he had just completed his Comm Multi only three months before the interview......but at the time Pinnacle wasn't scrutinizing the logbooks so heavy.

What, are you KIDDING ME?

Pinnacle doesn't scrutinize ANYTHING if you can pass the written and they like your personality.

Warm bodies, no one seems to understand that yet. We're not adding ANY new aircraft but the last two or three bids have been for 40-50 F/O's EVERY MONTH. You do the math.

As far as falsifying my logbook, there have been times when I've looked back and, for a brief moment, wish I had falsified mine. My buddy and I got calls for JetBlue interviews the first month they were EVER operating. We had flown Lears together, him as my F/O, and we both went other places in the same month. He went to Colgan on the 1900, I went to Express One on the 727.

He flew 1,200 hours in a year and a half and still hadn't upgraded, I flew 600 and had just upgraded to CA. He got the interview, I didn't, all because he had 1,000 hours in an aircraft over 20,000 lbs and I only had 600, even though I had both Lear and 727 PIC experience and he had zero turbine PIC.

Then, two years ago, I interviewed for a direct-entry Corporate 727 Captain position flying basketball teams around out of Chicago. My company had gone T.U. and they had NO PRIA records, so the ONLY proof about my flight times were in my logbooks. I could EASILY have lied and tripled my PIC time from 25 hours a month to 75 hours a month for 7 months which would have given me the 500 hours PIC they needed and I'd be making $125k a year working 14 days a month instead of 70k a year working 18 days a month right now.

Stories like that are enough to tempt ANYONE, but what it all boils down to is your ethics. Do you want to be the kind of person that, deep down, is nothing but a liar? Do you want to look back on your career and know that your LIES are the only thing that got you to where you are? Do you want to be one of those stories of people who get busted back to zero time with no ratings? All but two of the 10 instructors at my flight school got busted sharing time (2 or 3 instructors logging the same student in the same plane). Stupidity or Lack of morality? Which is it for you?

Incidentally, NO ONE has EVER validated my logbooks, and I've interviewed at:

Turboprop Part 135 operator - never opened them
Lear 135 operator - never opened them
Flexjet - never opened them
Express One (727's) - never opened them
United - looked at them for 30 seconds
Pinnacle - looked at them for 30 seconds as well
Southwest - looked at them for 30 seconds and verified three times they needed.
A couple 727 operators hiring direct-entry Captains and some corporate operators - never opened them

Southwest just looked for the specific times they needed, but when you have 6,000 hours and 5 previous flying jobs, it would be a lot more difficult to pick out errors than if you're a 1,500 hour pilot with one or two jobs instructing or flying cxld checks.

Oh, and p.s. 10% IFR and Night is about right for people who haven't flown Part 121 yet. Those times go up to 20% if you're based in the Northeast as a 121 operator. I have about 7,000 total, 1,200 IFR, 1,500 Night, but I flew a lot of night freight, too.

Actually R...Lear 70,

You should ask around about the case of David W. in 2001.

Was doing transition training from the saab to the Jet when some new hires in the saab mentioned that ehy had gone to flight school to their instructor who hated him. Turns out that, in 18 months at Express including Saab initial, upgrade, and jet upgrade his total time had incrased by 2100 hours from his application to his system prefernce bid.

Terry asked to see his logbooks and he kept stalling, claiming he couldn't find them--turns out he was using the time to pencil whip them, in time for a suspension hearing. Dumb child brings them, Terry photocopies them and sends him hope. Terry then called Mr. Josephs.

David W. does not hold any FAA certificates today.

Irony: He owns a catering business in TPA and makes more $$$ than he would have at PCL with a lot more security. Who said cheaters never prosper?

Inconceivable said:
Terry asked to see his logbooks and he kept stalling, claiming he couldn't find them--turns out he was using the time to pencil whip them, in time for a suspension hearing. Dumb child brings them, Terry photocopies them and sends him hope. Terry then called Mr. Josephs.

Sounds about Terry's speed. Nice guy until you piss him off, then you never see it coming.

Irony: He owns a catering business in TPA and makes more $$$ than he would have at PCL with a lot more security. Who said cheaters never prosper?
Yeah, but he'll always wonder about his lost career and how many years and tens of thousands he spent on flight training just to lose it all.

I could go into Commercial Real Estate with the rest of my family and make $120k to $150k a year, but I'd be working 6 days a week, 12 hours a day to do it. Similar to what Mr. W has going with his catering business - people who own their own food service businesses live, eat, and drink their work. I'm not interested in working that hard, nor losing everything I've spent 15 years building. :)

I know of a check-airman at a 121 who pencil-whipped his/her 300 hr logbook for a turbine single pilot charter job in order to meet the 135 mins. Passed training, flew there for a year got on with the airline he/she is at now. Good pilot, nice person. I didn't know what to think since it happened 8+ years ago.

It just ain't right.

Inconceivable said:
Actually R...Lear 70,

You should ask around about the case of David W. in 2001.

Was doing transition training from the saab to the Jet when some new hires in the saab mentioned that ehy had gone to flight school to their instructor who hated him. Turns out that, in 18 months at Express including Saab initial, upgrade, and jet upgrade his total time had incrased by 2100 hours from his application to his system prefernce bid.

Everyone hated "Watchoutski" and his lips were about as loose as a $10 street walker. It was only a matter of time before the truth caught up with him. Sad thing is that even through upgrading in the Saab and the CRJ nobody had a clue his books were cooked until someone ratted him out.

The FAA's record keeping system relies entirely on honesty. Nothing is safe from the audacity and daring of an individual pilot. One of the best examples is one of Mesaba's ex-chief pilots that pencil whipped his medical certificate for years.

Dointime--

actually he was the only person in the entire class of upgrades not to pink on the first go in the sim....That includes Ed's son, Sean "Ann Coulter" P., Tim McVeigh #2, and The "Jumpseat".

come to think of it, that was a pretty f'ed up class....I think everyone but Sean has been fired.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back