• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Log or Not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I say log the some beach but I wouldnt worry too much about getting reamed on the systems and what not of an airplane you only flew a couple hours.

Opinion:

Keep it as a fun memory but dont log it.

You wouldnt want someone flipping through your logbook next year at your airline interview and they say "Hey I flew the 60, loved it...what kind of FMS did yours have?" "Where did you go to school?"

your answer : "I dont know....I just got to ride along once because I got them ice at the FBO I work at"...

just sounds a little odd. says something about your logbook. You get one chance and a few minutes to present yourself, you dont want to come across as questionable.

You dont need those few hours that bad.

RichardRambone said:
I say log the some beach but I wouldnt worry too much about getting reamed on the systems and what not of an airplane you only flew a couple hours.

Do you know this first hand? How many airline interviews have you been on? If it's logged, it's fair game to ask. I know interviewers will ask questions about any turbine aircraft in your logbook. They will ask about the training, systems, operations, etc. Unless you are prepared to answer questions on an interview, keep it out of your logbook. If you're a qualified SIC, and know the aircraft well enough to talk about it, log it.

There are many threads on this subject to search for. I think the eventual answer has been to not log it, unless it becomes a significant amount of time, and you received the required SIC training.

Gulfstream 200 said:
your answer : "I dont know....I just got to ride along once because I got them ice at the FBO I work at"...
actually, it was ice AND coffee :)

obviously different interviewers will view it differently, but would it not be possible that logging the time could help me in the interviewers eyes? Say they are flipping through my log book and see that I have 10 to 15 hours of accumulated Lear SIC time with the same plane attained during several different trips. The interviewer is then thinking "well the PIC thought highly enough of him not only to fly with him, but also to invite him back for other trips" Furthermore, if i could get a letter of recomendation from the PIC it would hold more weight if I had actual (legally) logged flight time with him.

what do you all think?

Youens said:
actually, it was ice AND coffee :)

obviously different interviewers will view it differently, but would it not be possible that logging the time could help me in the interviewers eyes? Say they are flipping through my log book and see that I have 10 to 15 hours of accumulated Lear SIC time with the same plane attained during several different trips. The interviewer is then thinking "well the PIC thought highly enough of him not only to fly with him, but also to invite him back for other trips" Furthermore, if i could get a letter of recomendation from the PIC it would hold more weight if I had actual (legally) logged flight time with him.

what do you all think?

Umm...with all due respect...NO.

If you get hired to fly the plane, go to school etc...sure...

Its all pretty hokey, you seriously dont need the 10hrs of Lear time that bad. 10 hrs of lear time mixed in with 1500 of piston etc.. time just looks odd. Dont log it until you have school, a checkout, a 135 check etc....SOMETHING that says you were a real crewmwmber not a line guy taking a ride.

Again, I truly think you just get a short while to present yourself at an interview and I would not want to raise any questions about logged time - legal or not. Argueing if the logged time is legal at an interview is like yelling and kicking on the way to the electric chair. You're done either way.

Did you learn a lot flying the palne for a few hours? sure! was it fun as heck? sure...

I just wouldnt log it. Just an opinion.

PS - I personally think you should persue a job with such outfit as opposed to interviewing at regional airlines anyways!! more fun, more money. A lot of entry level charter/corp jobs are had by qualified line guys.

Gulfstream 200 said:
PS - I personally think you should persue a job with such outfit as opposed to interviewing at regional airlines anyways!! more fun, more money. A lot of entry level charter/corp jobs are had by qualified line guys.

More money yes, not always more fun!!! I can honestly say that I enjoyed flying for the airlines more than I do my current charter job. This is from my own personal experience, of course, you will or will not feel the same.

vclean said:
Do you know this first hand? How many airline interviews have you been on? If it's logged, it's fair game to ask. I know interviewers will ask questions about any turbine aircraft in your logbook. They will ask about the training, systems, operations, etc. Unless you are prepared to answer questions on an interview, keep it out of your logbook. If you're a qualified SIC, and know the aircraft well enough to talk about it, log it.

There are many threads on this subject to search for. I think the eventual answer has been to not log it, unless it becomes a significant amount of time, and you received the required SIC training.
If I go to a job interview and they start asking me V speeds from planes I flew 5-7 years ago...they better have their freaking office furniture bolted to the floor and their file cabinets latched.

FN FAL said:
If I go to a job interview and they start asking me V speeds from planes I flew 5-7 years ago...they better have their freaking office furniture bolted to the floor and their file cabinets latched.

I would hire you out of fear!!!!!:eek: I agree , but I don't remember speeds from 1 year ago. OUCH!!!! I'm losing more brain cells than previously thought.

vclean said:
No more caffeine for you.
:D what's it look like outside? Is it nice out? My ass is numb...can I be excused now? :)

Latest resources

Back