• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Live Smartpref overated?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
bottom line is the LXJT peeps introduced this TURD into the punchbowl.. now thats its there is has polluted the entire process of which now management is siding with LXJT ( WONDER WHY$$$$$).

Excellent work LXJT guys... all you had to do was tweak what we had , but NOOOOOO, you had to d!ck up the entire thing and we will ALL have worse QOL

job well done!

Last edited:
Maybe, but all indications show not anytime soon. XJT and Skywest have all but stopped hiring. Meanwhile Eagle is hiring 600+, and RAH 800+

Sent from my HTC One X+ using Tapatalk 2

THE ANALYSIS: Parker said he still thinks there are two near-term potential pieces of contractual flying for regional airlines, with United and U.S. Airways, totaling up to 265 larger regional jets. In addition, American may award additional regional jet flying, which could go to SkyWest, he said.
"Because of its strong balance sheet, we believe SkyWest is well-positioned to secure some of the aircraft in the additional contracts, none of which is reflected in our current estimates," Parker wrote in a note to investors.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/skywest-shares-fall-raymond-james-202103424.html

Mind you I have zero optimism about that. I assume the United RFP is why XJT wants large RJ pay rates for the L-XJT side. I still think that has more to do with the L-XJT CPA with UAL than it does with management trying to pressure L-ASA in negotiations (just a happy side benefit). I'm more curious about US Airways. I have no idea what could be up for bid with them. If it is CRJ flying in the eastern US it could be in SKYW Inc's wheelhouse.

Then again nothing that would enhance my career progression is apparently ever allowed to happen. The most likely outcome is L-XJT resumes massive hiring, someone else gets the US Airways flying, and I see my 8th year in the right seat. Meanwhile L-ASA furloughees that made Captain at GoJet will get hired by UAL this spring. I think I need a drink...

Three credit windows? Like:

70-85, 86-100, 101-120?

There it is folks.

To be honest, I don't know if its just 3 or if its more. In any case, it's not required for bidding. You can build a line with as much flying or little flying (contractually) as you want without using the credit window feature. It's easily done by preferencing high value trips.

Last edited:
You can build a line with as much flying or little flying (contractually) as you want without using the credit window feature. It's easily done by preferencing high value trips.
Is this true for the constrained group also? My understanding of SmartPref is that any pilot falling below the splat line really does not have these options.

Moreover, the LASA MEC whitepaper has suggested that globalizing could affect more than 50% of the pilots in smaller domiciles EVERY MONTH. Whereas PrefBid allows pilots some limited control with the undesirable unstacking case in holiday months, SmartPref would give no control over the final bid award for those pilots falling below the splat line. Is this understanding correct or incomplete? How do you think SmartPref balances these undesirables with positives?

Is this true for the constrained group also? My understanding of SmartPref is that any pilot falling below the splat line really does not have these options.

Moreover, the LASA MEC whitepaper has suggested that globalizing could affect more than 50% of the pilots in smaller domiciles EVERY MONTH. Whereas PrefBid allows pilots some limited control with the undesirable unstacking case in holiday months, SmartPref would give no control over the final bid award for those pilots falling below the splat line. Is this understanding correct or incomplete? How do you think SmartPref balances these undesirables with positives?

It depends on what everyone senior has bid. Smartpref will tell you in real time what the average line value needs to be for it to cover the remaining open time. As for globalization, just like flight line with unstacking, it can affect a bigger percentage of the pilot group as the number of pilots decreases. Smartpref does tell you which days are going to be unstacked, if any. The positive is that it tells you ahead of time if you are in the constrained group, what the average line value needs to be from you and those below you in seniority, and it tells you which days if any are being unstacked (you get to see it through live bidding instead of after the line is awarded.

[. . .] and it tells you which days if any are being unstacked (you get to see it through live bidding instead of after the line is awarded.
For the constrained group affected by unstacking, is there a way for these pilots to preference unstacked pairings? Or will Smartpref assign pairings as it desires?

Under Prefbid, the pilot group may not know EXACTLY where the system will need to invoke unstacking (though ALPA does recommend that the most junior pilots submit an unstack bid), but it is not a big issue to preference pairings around expected unstacking days (e.g., holidays).

For example, Prefbid might need to unstack around Christmas. Now, depending on how senior pilots bid, the unstack might be for Christmas pairings only, or it might affect pairings that fall a day or two on either side of Christmas. The unknown does not affect my bid, as I preference all potential pairings:

Unstack Pref 1: Pairings departing Dec 27
Unstack Pref 2: Pairings departing Dec 26
Unstack Pref 3: Pairings finishing Dec 23
Unstack Pref 4: Pairings finishing Dec 24
Unstack Pref 5: Pairings departing Dec 25 after 1200
Unstack Pref 6: Pairings finishing Dec 25 before 1200
Unstack Pref 7: Pairings departing Dec 25
Unstack Pref 8: Pairings finishing Dec 25
Unstack Pref 9: Pairings departing Dec 24
Unstack Pref 10: Pairings departing Dec 23
Unstack Pref 11: Pairings departing Dec 22
etc.

Using the preview window, I then can confirm that I have bid all the appropriate pairings. If unstacking is required, a list of affected pairings is generated. If I happen to be a pilot affected by unstacking, Prefbid will start at the top of my unstack preferences and work down until it finds criteria matching one of the unstack pairings. Provided that pairing has not been requested by and assigned to a senior bidder, I will receive the pairing. (If unstacking does not affect me, Prefbid will not need to consider my unstack preferences; it will look only at my other bid sheets.)

Under a globalized system, I do not think such selection of unstack pairings is possible. So to compare and contrast:
SmartPref: Pilots know if they are in the constrained group, but they have no way of preferencing which pairings they might receive?
Prefbid: Pilots may not know for sure if they will be unstacked, but they have complete control of ordering all unstack pairings according to their preferences.

Last edited:
Why are we having this discussion over a system being used for reserves and relief lines? They can’t, hold a line in the first bid. One of them bitch’s about not getting what he wants. A discussion starts about who’s system is better.
Instead of getting this merger done, with better pay, benefits, work rules etc. There are now rumors of concessions, pay cuts, lost benefits etc.
Great job to you all, keep the argument going, till where all out of work. There are a lot of us for one reason or another that will not be able to move on to main line. Look around the next time you’re in the crew room there are a lot of pilots that where going to the majors 10-15 years ago and where still here.
In ten years you may be the one where looking at, wondering why your still here.
I don't have the answer to this problem that is dragging our future deeper down this sh_t hole. But the argument we have been having for two years on this, is not the answer.

Latest resources

Back