• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Line Up and Wait" - Let's Hear it for Globalization

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As crappy as this industry has been the last two years.....now we can't even keep our own phraseology. Pretty soon we'll be speaking French on the radio.

Perhaps you haven't flown in France lately (or ever), but the French speak English on the radio, per ICAO convention.

The United States is not the only country in the world, you know.

Perhaps you haven't flown in France lately (or ever), but the French speak English on the radio, per ICAO convention.

The United States is not the only country in the world, you know.

Right.:erm: Hmm, actually they do speak English and French.

One of the things that I find the funniest is when people start this conversations with the controller on completely nonstandard phraseology "Hey we were wondering because we are running a bit late here and we would like to make up some time if it is possible to go direct to XXX and see if we can make up some of the lost time here, if not we would take direct to XXX instead to see if you could help us out" all of this in Taipei's airspace and they don't realize that they lost the controller right after "Hey" so the controller reverts to the most safe answer for him "Flight plan route" not because they couldn't give you a short cut but only because they didn't get a word you said. If you keep your requests simple "Request direct to XXX" you will have a lot better chance to get what you want

Right. As soon as you deviate from strict standard phraseology you can count on getting silence or having the request denied. While I was flying in Russia I used to occasionally hear the Delta Mumbai flight requesting direct to some fix 600 miles away in Finland. Silence. Request (complete with American slang and Peachtree City accent) made again. "Cleared flight plan route". In that part of the world you could usually get direct to the FIR exit point, but rarely farther until you got closer to Earth where they had radar.

Having to listen to Delta on the NAT tracks is pain at the best and downright unsafe when they have another gross nav error like last night.

How gross?

Right.:erm: Hmm, actually they do speak English and French.

Actually, they speak English. That French is spoken to other french-speaking pilots isn't your concern. The controllers are required to be able to speak English and to communicate with you in English, and they do. Quite well. Beyond that it's really not your concern.

...I still think most french 'intersections' sound the same... Direct where?!

Latest resources

Back