• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Line Up and Wait" - Let's Hear it for Globalization

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sounds good. Because if you bought Toyota Camry you are buying a car built in USA. If you bought a Ford Crown Vic the entire vehicle or large portions of the vehicle were built in Mexico or Ontario, Canada, work done by foreigners and not Americans.

Long live USA

Not valid argument.

I can find Ford on the NYSE and the money stays and is controlled in the USA. With a Toyota all the $$$ winds up in Japan.

All you are do is sending your $$$ to a holding company then onto Japan.

Not valid argument.

I can find Ford on the NYSE and the money stays and is controlled in the USA. With a Toyota all the $$$ winds up in Japan.

All you are do is sending your $$$ to a holding company then onto Japan.

maybe so but Joe Smith works on the assembly line for Toyota and has money to pay his kids college.

the other guy doesn't

I guess my point was "jobs" not corporate profits (your points are 100% correct). Similar to Virgin Airlines America (or whatever it is called) employing gringos to fly Airbus'es around USA, it beats the unemployment line.

Last edited:
Im still just simply impressed that LD's Buick has 434,000 miles on it.

Im still just simply impressed that LD's Buick has 434,000 miles on it.

And 30 MPG on the highway. That 3.8L V-6 is a tough motor. Runs forever. I think a lot of them were built in Canada though. Ooops.

The lowest mileage one I have is over 115K, the others are all over 200K.

In Hong Kong yesterday, I was given, "Line up RWY 7R". Are they shortening the verbage? This is not the first time I have heard this in Asia.

Glad to hear all is well with ya LD!

In Hong Kong yesterday, I was given, "Line up RWY 7R". Are they shortening the verbage? This is not the first time I have heard this in Asia.

Glad to hear all is well with ya LD!

I was in Calgary a couple of weeks ago, and the tower was using "Line up at the threshold RWY 34" instead of "Line up and wait RWY 34." I had been up the way in Edmonton a little earlier in the day, and they were using the correct phraseology. I know it's Canada and not a place that people necessarily have trouble understanding the controllers, but I seem to remember them making a big push for the standardization of the "line up and wait" phraseology up there a few years ago. So much for that it seems!

Also, has anyone besides me ever heard a controller to clear you to "line up and take off RWY XX?" I've gotten that one from SBEG several times passing through there. Seems like the rest of the controllers I talk to at other airports in Brazil use "clear take off RWY XX," but "Clear line up and take off RWY XX" seems to be the norm in Manaus. It confuses the hell out of the crew for a split second because you can't tell whether it was a "line up and wait" or a "line up and take off" clearance! Anyone who has been to Brazil can attest that those controllers are pretty hard to decipher at best!

Last edited:
or better yet.."line up and takeoff after departing Airbus (etc)"

Just verify things if there is any confusion - which there often is in some places.

Line up and wait, position and hold...whatever. Not a big deal.

Latest resources

Back