• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Line Up and Wait" - Let's Hear it for Globalization

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In Hong Kong yesterday, I was given, "Line up RWY 7R". Are they shortening the verbage? This is not the first time I have heard this in Asia.

Glad to hear all is well with ya LD!

Not just in Asia, some places in Europe as well. Now if I could only remember where....;)

It has been my experience when flying in non-English speaking countries, which is considerable, that you have to keep in mind that many of the controllers only speak very limited English, just enough in many cases to pass the English section of their training.

Demanding American style radio phraseology only contributes to more anti-American feelings around the world. So be part of the cure, not the problem.

Besides that, the more one responses in proper ICAO ATC language, the more professional the controller will believe you are, even for a Yank.

Hell, I've been fooling Air Traffic Controllers all over the world for years making them think I was a real professional. :p

It has been my experience when flying in non-English speaking countries, which is considerable, that you have to keep in mind that many of the controllers only speak very limited English, just enough in many cases to pass the English section of their training.

I've found this to DEFINITELY be the case when flying in Brazil. The Brazilian controllers know just enough English to issue "normal" clearances/instructions, but they don't have the slightest clue as to what you're requesting as soon as you deviate from standard phraseology (especially in remote, off the beaten path destinations; Rio and Sao Paulo aren't too bad if I remember correctly). Trying to get a clarification on a clearance limit issued by a previous controller gets dead silence on the frequency for a few moments, for example. It has been over a year and a half since I was last in Brazil, so it may have gotten better since then!

Demanding American style radio phraseology only contributes to more anti-American feelings around the world. So be part of the cure, not the problem.

Besides that, the more one responses in proper ICAO ATC language, the more professional the controller will believe you are

One of the things that I find the funniest is when people start this conversations with the controller on completely nonstandard phraseology "Hey we were wondering because we are running a bit late here and we would like to make up some time if it is possible to go direct to XXX and see if we can make up some of the lost time here, if not we would take direct to XXX instead to see if you could help us out" all of this in Taipei's airspace and they don't realize that they lost the controller right after "Hey" so the controller reverts to the most safe answer for him "Flight plan route" not because they couldn't give you a short cut but only because they didn't get a word you said. If you keep your requests simple "Request direct to XXX" you will have a lot better chance to get what you want

Last edited:
One of the things that I find the funniest is when people start this conversations with the controller on completely nonstandard phraseology "Hey we were wondering because we are running a bit late here and we would like to make up some time if it is possible to go direct to XXX and see if we can make up some of the lost time here, if not we would take direct to XXX instead to see if you could help us out" all of this in Taipei's airspace and they don't realize that they lost the controller right after "Hey" so the controller reverts to the most safe answer for him "Flight plan route" not because they couldn't give you a short cut but only because they didn't get a word you said. If you keep your requests simple "Request direct to XXX" you will have a lot better chance to get what you want

"Hey there Shannon its Deltaz 3421 how y'all doing witcha at 35 this mornin' runnin a bit late any chance dy-rect Dolip"

Latest resources

Back