Lights on Airliners for ice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
svcta said:
Do you know? I don't. And save the school on what a G-IV is equivalent to. Besides, your wrong. A 777 only weighs about 600,000 more pounds than a G-IV, that's one very small difference.
Yeah, that's a pretty big difference alright. But I have a small bulletin for you: From the front seats you can't tell how much airplane is behind you, only what's in front of you.

And believe me when I say that a G-IV is right on a par with the most modern airliners, it's no joke or exaggeration. Stick the HUD and EVS and maybe the planeview cockpit of the G450/550 in there and you're beyond nearly EVERY airliner out there. And if it's complexity you require just ask one of these airline retirees who hops into a G-V right after the early-out how school was for them. I haven't met one yet who wasn't more than impressed with what it took to squirm through initial, much less by what the airplane can do.

TIS

svcta said:
In any event....What blame!? I never remember anybody saying anything about how much this guy gets paid. Do you know? I don't. And save the school on what a G-IV is equivalent to. Besides, your wrong. A 777 only weighs about 600,000 more pounds than a G-IV, that's one very small difference.
You completely missed the point. The weight of the airplane is irrelevent. There are very few 600,000+ pound corporate airplanes, but the Gulfstream is to corporate pilots what a 777 is to airline pilots. It is a long range, state of the art airplane that flies all over the world. If this Gulfstream operator isn't hiring a 900 hour pilot to save them money, then tell me why else they would do it? It certainly isn't because of a lack of qualified pilots looking for work.

Last edited:
Please do not compare flying a gulfstream(or any coprporate a/c) to flying 300+ pax to the corners of the globe.......there are many more issues to consider here....that's my point. And corporate pilots can, at any time, be hired upon the owner's prefference. It's true, you know it. $$$$$$$$.

nevermind.....

svcta said:
Please do not compare flying a gulfstream(or any coprporate a/c) to flying 300+ pax to the corners of the globe.......there are many more issues to consider here....that's my point. And corporate pilots can, at any time, be hired upon the owner's prefference. It's true, you know it. $$$$$$$$.

yeah, you Gulfstream and corporate types better just stick to that easy flying and leave the "globe hoppin" to those talented 300+ passenger airline types..

what a farkin idiot.

svcta said:
This statement is so ignorant that its not worth typing out a long reply.

Last edited:
svcta said:
Please do not compare flying a gulfstream(or any coprporate a/c) to flying 300+ pax to the corners of the globe.......there are many more issues to consider here....that's my point
And they are? Come on there pal, let's hear 'em!

For the record, I think you're right - they shouldn't be compared. What a corporate pilot does in support of his trip does not begin to compare - on any level - to what an airline pilot does.

- Who plans the flight? The fuel stops? Not the airline pilot.
- Who files the flight plan(s)? Not the airline pilot.
- Who checks the life rafts and vests for currency? Not the airline pilot.
- Who determines how much fuel the flight takes? Not the airline pilot.
- Who sets up customs and APIS? Not the airline pilot.
- Who makes sure the passengers are taken care of on all stops? Not the airline pilot.
- Who arranges crew lodging? Not the airline pilot.
- Who coordinates maintenance when the aircraft has a problem on the trip? Not the airline pilot.
- Who actually flies the trip? Not … oh wait, THIS the airline pilot DOES do – unless the autoland needs a turn.

Having been an airline pilot I have a great deal of respect for what they do, so don’t run off at the mouth talking about airline pilot bashing or about how I just don’t understand. I do.

Saying that an airline pilot’s job is vastly different from that of the corporate pilot is a 100% true statement. Saying that the corporate pilot is somehow inferior BECAUSE of those differences is a complete distortion of how things are.

It’s just a different job, with different requirements, and I dare say FAR fewer people in the world who could do it for a career from personal and professional standpoints.

Oh, and just to bring this back to the original point, the G-IV does indeed have ice lights and we use ‘em just like the big boys do!

TIS

Okay okay okay, I never intended to spell out who is more talented.......and I don't think that I ever did. The answer is neither.

You guys began running off about that, and I never said that flying the a/c was any more of a trick. The thing was that dealing with those numbers of people is something that, believe it or not, is a dynamic that the corporate guys do not have to handle.

People getting dead, cologne that smells like the airplane is on fire, flight attendants that think you should divert because there's no hot water, etc. All somwhere over the north atlantic or siberia at night.

Last edited:
I'm off and up out.

I am an airline charter pilot, I can do all of the above, even put TP in the lavs. But......If I had to do it all--God forbid APIS(if you can believe it when it first came out management was considering having the pilots do it, I happened to be at the meeting and said no way jose.)My 16 hour duty day would consist of all of the above and when it came time to fly....I could start the engines and maybe get to the end of the runway. :D

Latest resources

Back