Lights on Airliners for ice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TIS said:
In fact, what I did was criticize the concept of an operator putting a novice where a seasoned professional should be - if for no other reason than to protect the owner's $17 - $30 milllion investment - and you came back like I'd taken a shot directly at you.

I guess I'll hang it up now. No one here cares what I think if they're on the other side of my opinion anyway.

TIS

Look, I already apologized to you for the statements made earlier. That's all I can do. However, your are attacking me in the way you presented it by saying all this "scheme" crap. Your saying I'm not qualified to do what I do, I can't change that you haven't flown with me. Yeah, I'm defensive, wouldn't you be? Everytime I get off my airplane and go in the FBO to take a piss, I get dirty looks, everytime I post on this stupid website I get trashed, i'm not crying I'm a big boy - it just gets old. I just wish somebody would come up with some new material.

Last edited:
Alright, ALRIGHT! Calm down.

May I make a simple suggestion? Perhaps I hadn't seen the PM?

I made an editorial comment that wasn't directed at you but rather at the situation. You took it personally and you shouldn't have. I understand that you don't like being kicked around but when you get ahead early in this business there are a lot of folks around who'll find all kinds of things to say to take away from your good fortune. That's not what I was doing so just relax.

At least you know how just about EVERY woman in aviation feels at some point during the ladder climb.

I'll go clean a few things up now and get out of your hair.

TIS

Last edited:
PhatAJ2008 said:
Thanks, everyone who replied... I guess those lights shining at the wings are to inspect for ice... But are the passengers supposed to report what they see to the pilots because it is virtually impossible for them to see the whole wing..

Okay, based on your profile I assume you work for NWAirlink either Pinncacle or Mesaba. I'm pretty sure you had to go through the same deice training as the rest of us did at either company. I must have missed the part about the ice detector lights on the wings that were meant for the passengers to relay the icing situation to the crew.

Ehhh....how did you get that out of his profile? Looks like he's just a student pilot to me. Perhaps he works for Airlink but I don't think he flies for them.

I know a guy that Gulfstream typed in a G-II as a way to keep him around to help them certify the G-V because they needed qualified help running tests. At the time he had about 300 hours, and a multi rating that had wet ink on it(like 15 hours), and was about 21 years old. He passed the checkride. Then he got a job flying in one. It happens! And you know what? He's always been one of the most professional aviators I've known and remains so to this day. Someone said it and they were right: SOUR GRAPES. I've only watched you kick this other guy around on this particular thread and I'M already sick of it.

And to top it all off, in spite of your stupid crap, he's kept his cool and generated some pretty legit. replies. Everybody go check.....your weiners are shrinking!

svcta said:
I know a guy that Gulfstream typed in a G-II as a way to keep him around to help them certify the G-V because they needed qualified help running tests.

uh--sorry but this comment needs further clarification. as stated, it makes no sense. they seem to have many qualified pilots in gulfstream flight test dept. perhaps i misunderstood you. :)

svcta said:
Someone said it and they were right: SOUR GRAPES. I've only watched you kick this other guy around on this particular thread and I'M already sick of it.

And to top it all off, in spite of your stupid crap, he's kept his cool and generated some pretty legit. replies. Everybody go check.....your weiners are shrinking!

You're talking to me I take it?

svcta said:
I know a guy that Gulfstream typed in a G-II as a way to keep him around to help them certify the G-V because they needed qualified help running tests. At the time he had about 300 hours, and a multi rating that had wet ink on it(like 15 hours), and was about 21 years old. He passed the checkride. Then he got a job flying in one. It happens! And you know what? He's always been one of the most professional aviators I've known and remains so to this day. Someone said it and they were right: SOUR GRAPES. I've only watched you kick this other guy around on this particular thread and I'M already sick of it.

Look at it this way...a Gulfstream is the corporate flying equivalent of a 767 or 777 in the airline world. It is an airplane that should have two experienced pilots up front...both of which should be paid as such. There is little justification as to why an operation must hire a 900 hour FO to sit up front in a G-IV, just as there would be little justification for an airline having a 900 hour FO in a 777. From what I can see that is the only point that TIS was making, and I agree with it completely. Would anyone blame Gearmonkey for taking the position that he did? Of course not...he saw an opportunity and he took it...its not his fault. The operation that he works for is where the blame should be placed.

Last edited:
Semper--
The statement makes sense, open your mind. I never said he was a pilot for Gulfstream. He worked in a department that handled flight control info, for lack of a better way to put it. Usually he would ride in the back of a prototype G-V and watch a computer collect data. They sent him to school as a perk for sticking around.

Skyboy1981-

In any event....What blame!? I never remember anybody saying anything about how much this guy gets paid. Do you know? I don't. And save the school on what a G-IV is equivalent to. Besides, your wrong. A 777 only weighs about 600,000 more pounds than a G-IV, that's one very small difference.

In 1952 an Aero Commander was the G-IV of its day.....what of it?

I'm not saying anybody here is accurate or not about what this guy is making money-wise, but when low-time guys killing pay rates becomes the problem for you that it is for the airline industry.....well, maybe then you can needlessly flame somebody..........sorry I'm watching Braddock kill some bad guys.........for having a job that you wish you had.

Latest resources

Back