• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Lights on Airliners for ice?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Ice Detector on a caravan?! C'mon man, like it isn't obvious?! Can't see ice worth a damm on my plane but the brits gave us a cute spinny gadget that lets ya know when to ooze the juice

In England we used to have a bunch of 600 hour wonder first officers, they worked great as long as the automation worked, take the autopilot away, turn off the FD and ask them to do a visual approach and it was the beginning of a death spiral.

TIS said:
Ya know what? You've been told this before in other threads and I'll say it again: I didn't start out slamming you. I slammed the concept of what you're doing at your level of experience but you had to get your skirt all blown up about it and take it like a personal attack. Well, it wasn't so how's about we just agree that I won't use you as an SIC in MY G-IV and leave it at that. I don't appreciate your attitude OR you inexperience.

Ok then if you already said it, than what makes you think that saying it again makes your points any more valid? I've been defending this crap ever since I got on here and all I want to do is talk about what I do for a living with other people of the same interests. You can't learn everything at FSI, you know.

After all, it would be NICE to know that somebody with 11k hours is on here to HELP someone like me, when I keep getting intermittent CAS messages and can't figure them out. Or need to know how to do something I didn't learn somewhere else.

Sorry to take it personally, but this thread started out innocently about ice lights and it turned into this. Just like a few months ago when I asked a simple question about how to professionally tell your boss "no" and I ended up defending my credentials once again. I get blasted for the airplane I fly, how childish is that?

TIS said:
Anyway, you've obviously read some things I've written and you, just as obviously, don't like hearing that it's not a good idea for low time civilian-trained pilots to be in the right seat of an airplane like a G-IV. That you don't like hearing it doesn't make me wrong.

I agree, there are plenty of people that I have flown with that could use a rude awakening as to how serious this airplane is, it's not a simple airplane.

TIS said:
But let's be honest - plenty of idiots DO indeed pass Flight Safety courses.

Couldn't agree with you more, believe me!

TIS said:
Yup! I'm sure you are. I know it says so on your little blue and white card in your wallet.

If you only knew.

TIS said:
What makes you think that's what I'm trying to do? And why are you so nervous about it?

It's a small world

TIS said:
I'm doing exactly that but some low-time pud-knocker keeps telling me that I don't know what I'm talking about because he doesn't like hearing what's being said.

I never said you don't know what your talking about, that was you chief. Language is easily, as in this case, misunderstood over the internet. I like anyone else in this business doesn't like anyone else telling them the way things should and shouldn't be in our own lives. Yeah, I have low time but what's wrong with jerkin' off?

TIS said:
Let me put it this way - there's barely an ice cube's chance in hell that you'd be seriously considered for a position in another G-IV ANYWHERE with your present qualifications.

Already happened, decided they needed a co-captain more than strictly a first officer. Sucks, was a really good job too.

Gearmunky said:
After all, it would be NICE to know that somebody with 11k hours is on here to HELP someone like me, when I keep getting intermittent CAS messages and can't figure them out. Or need to know how to do something I didn't learn somewhere else.

What is wrong with asking the experienced captain you fly with? Why should you have to ask a question like that on the internet. Hopefully, an experienced captain should be able to answer relatively simple questions like that or should be able to look them up in a book somewhere and give you the answer. You apparently went to school as well...you should be able to look up answers like that too.

What I would worry about even more than the apparent lack of experience for such a highly automated airplane as that is...is/are the captain(s) that you fly with acting as mentors and helping you with relatively basic questions such as that (why does this light or CAS message appear). If not then I without hesitation would not put my complete faith in the CREW and place my family onboard. Not because I think you are inexperienced or because the captain is a stoodge, but because there is an apparent breakdown between the crew members.

I have learned much and still do with guys that have much more time than I have, but only because I have had some guys I have flown with that have acted as mentors and have had a strong desire to help others learn and pass on what they themselves have learned. I have learned a great deal from those and am grateful and I myself have the same desire to give back in the same capacity.

Gearmunky said:
Is that a Waffen SS death's head on your avatar?
It could be...I was looking for a generic skull image for an avatar and happend across a photo on an e-bay like auction site, did some editing of the background and put the red eyes in it. As far as I'm concerned, it's a skull with two bones crossed behind it...with two red eyes added.

corp_da20_guy said:
What is wrong with asking the experienced captain you fly with? Why should you have to ask a question like that on the internet. Hopefully, an experienced captain should be able to answer relatively simple questions like that or should be able to look them up in a book somewhere and give you the answer. You apparently went to school as well...you should be able to look up answers like that too.

What I would worry about even more than the apparent lack of experience for such a highly automated airplane as that is...is/are the captain(s) that you fly with acting as mentors and helping you with relatively basic questions such as that (why does this light or CAS message appear). If not then I without hesitation would not put my complete faith in the CREW and place my family onboard. Not because I think you are inexperienced or because the captain is a stoodge, but because there is an apparent breakdown between the crew members.

Nothing is wrong with in my crew coordination. I know what the CAS messages mean, that's not the problem, it's a recurring bug in the system from a maintenance standpoint, not a flying standpoint. I know what the messages are and what they mean, if I didn't I shouldn't be there.

corp_da20_guy said:
I have learned much and still do with guys that have much more time than I have, but only because I have had some guys I have flown with that have acted as mentors and have had a strong desire to help others learn and pass on what they themselves have learned. I have learned a great deal from those and am grateful and I myself have the same desire to give back in the same capacity.

Good, that's the way it should be, as will I when I have some things to bring back.

Latest resources

Back