• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Let the WitchHuny Begin: "Wall St STILL Flying Corp Jets"--AP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Your concept of staying alive today is an income 2-3 times that of the average american family in a profession that you have chosen. Life and death isn't an issue as it was for them.
I touched on this. The FAA does not give a rats a$$ until metal is bent. That is a fact. Now if the NTSB set the rules and oversight......

And no, my job is not done when I land the plane. Shows how very little you understand our business, or being a professional pilot.
You are just a little man looking in from the outside.

When you land the airplane, your day is done. Don't confuse the hours behind a desk with the responsibility of running a 24 hour a day operation.

Management doesn't work 40 hour weeks just because they are in the building for that period of time. The fun never ends and is a lot more demanding that flying from point A to point B.

whatever dude....whatever.

you're trying to change something that can't be changed.

Notice my dry eyes?...quit your crying about how tough your life is. we dont care.

When you land the airplane, your day is done. Don't confuse the hours behind a desk with the responsibility of running a 24 hour a day operation.

Management doesn't work 40 hour weeks just because they are in the building for that period of time. The fun never ends and is a lot more demanding that flying from point A to point B.

Really? If our day was done we would return home to our family like you do. As for the demand of flying from A to B, we do a heck of a lot more than that. We don't have the same support out on the road the airlines do. We sling our own bags, clean the airplane, stock the catering, and are ultimately responsible for every single detail related to every flight.

When was the last time you sat in coach for a 10 hour flight with a 4 hour lay over? How did you feel when you got to your destination? My guess is you were whipped, and you complained about it for a week. Some of us do that for 15 days in a row and don't think twice about it. Yes, most of us do this job because it is our chosen profession and we love flying. Make no mistake about it though. It's a JOB! It can be, and often is brutal! Your downplaying that fact simply diminishes your credibility, and further widens the gap between management and labor. Your attitude is the reason some companies need unions. My personal belief is that management and pilot groups can work together to build great companies so long as neither side takes for granted the effort and contribution of the other.

Your arrogance about the sacrifice management makes is telling. You think management "is" the company, and you couldn't be more wrong.

X-Rated, well said. However, it is wasted bandwidth. Arguing with some people like B19 is like trying to debate Hellen Keller from opposite sides of a football field at night with the lights off. Why bother?

Democrats Love bashing the rich and their ways

As I write, Democrat Brad Sherman, 27th district CA, is bashing corperate jet travel, on CSPAN. With friends like these, who in the private jet market needs enemies. For every jet that is shamed into not flying, how many jobs are lost?

Really? If our day was done we would return home to our family like you do. As for the demand of flying from A to B, we do a heck of a lot more than that. We don't have the same support out on the road the airlines do. We sling our own bags, clean the airplane, stock the catering, and are ultimately responsible for every single detail related to every flight.

When was the last time you sat in coach for a 10 hour flight with a 4 hour lay over? How did you feel when you got to your destination? My guess is you were whipped, and you complained about it for a week. Some of us do that for 15 days in a row and don't think twice about it. Yes, most of us do this job because it is our chosen profession and we love flying. Make no mistake about it though. It's a JOB! It can be, and often is brutal! Your downplaying that fact simply diminishes your credibility, and further widens the gap between management and labor. Your attitude is the reason some companies need unions. My personal belief is that management and pilot groups can work together to build great companies so long as neither side takes for granted the effort and contribution of the other.

X-rated,

You make the most intelligent posts for the union on this site. You are a worthy adversary for B19. I am learning from both of you.

I am not pro union in this day and age but not against them when needed.

I understand both sides of the argument and am always willing to listen and learn. I am military and trying to decide if a union or non union place is where I want to work upon retireing.

Unfortunately you are in the minority here when it comes to intelligent posting. Keep up the good work, I am learning from both of you.

Really, 10 days off a month is too much? I would think someone who claims to be in management would be better with numbers.

20 work days times 14 hours of duty per day =280 hrs per month.

20 work days times 24 hrs away from home = 480 hrs per month.

How many hours per month do you or your office cronies work?

40 hrs per week times 4 = 160 hrs per mo.

That's either 175% or 300% more hours (depending how you look at it) than a typical office employee. For that, you think we should be paid a wage that allows us basic survival?

I don't care to weigh in on the whole union/non-union debate, but that comment was just plain ignorant!

Sorry, this was the post that really caught my eye and I wanted to highlight....lol. To be fair, B19 did say 10 plus.

Regardless, you and B19 both bring up some very good points.

Really? If our day was done we would return home to our family like you do.

I understand that, however when you walk away from the aircraft you are done for the day, management isn't. You have a defined job description and a clear cut job function. Management's job is rewritten every hour of the day, and I can tell you from a great amount of experience that there aren't two days that are ever the same when the responsibility is over a great number of people rather than the simple flight.

As for the demand of flying from A to B, we do a heck of a lot more than that. We don't have the same support out on the road the airlines do. We sling our own bags, clean the airplane, stock the catering, and are ultimately responsible for every single detail related to every flight.

Once again, this is true. But management has created the infrastructure to assist you in doing that and when things go "bad", it's up to management (24 hours a day for every flight crew) to jump through hoops to make it happen in order for the operation to appear to run smooth.

When was the last time you sat in coach for a 10 hour flight with a 4 hour lay over?

About 3 weeks ago, then I got back on for another 5 (two hour layover)

How did you feel when you got to your destination?
My guess is you were whipped, and you complained about it for a week.

Yes, I was tired because the time zones still kick my butt. Never ever complain about it because I love my job.

Some of us do that for 15 days in a row and don't think twice about it.

With me it's only about once every six weeks and I'm not operating. , you got me there. 15 in a row, eh? That's stretching it a bit.

Yes, most of us do this job because it is our chosen profession and we love flying. Make no mistake about it though. It's a JOB! It can be, and often is brutal!

You consider me downplaying what you do, but I don't see you with a shred of understanding of what it takes for management to operate hundreds of flights a day on time with a 24 hour a day operation.

Your downplaying that fact simply diminishes your credibility, and further widens the gap between management and labor. Your attitude is the reason some companies need unions.

My attitude was developed as a result of unions and the role they play in restricting how a company can operate. It's like trying to run a marathon with leg irons.

My personal belief is that management and pilot groups can work together to build great companies so long as neither side takes for granted the effort and contribution of the other.

Your arrogance about the sacrifice management makes is telling. You think management "is" the company, and you couldn't be more wrong.

Management has responsibility for the entire company. Pilots have the responsibility to move the airplane, maintenance has to fix the airplane, crews scheduling sets the schedule and so on. But when any one piece of this puzzle fails or the company doesn't make money, it's all blamed on management. Not the pilot.

No matter how hard you try, you can't accept the fact that management really is the entity that runs the company and is responsible for ALL the pieces, can you?

"Management has responsibility for the entire company. Pilots have the responsibility to move the airplane, maintenance has to fix the airplane, crews scheduling sets the schedule and so on. But when any one piece of this puzzle fails or the company doesn't make money, it's all blamed on management. Not the pilot."

A good pilot takes responsibility for the entire company when things go wrong. When you are looking the owner in the eye and telling him/her you aren't going to be able to fly, they see YOU as the company, not someone at headquarters.

It isn't the most pleasant thing, but the owners will notice you are doing your best for them. That is what it is all about.

No matter how hard you try, you can't accept the fact that management really is the entity that runs the company and is responsible for ALL the pieces, can you?

Well to be honest I wouldn't know because I haven't tried at all. It is a ludicrous premiss. Management is responsible for assembling a team of experts in their respective fields, and creating a business strategy that will allow the company to make a profit. It's up to that assembled team to execute on the plan. Good managers delegate and oversee but rarely accomplish much by themselves. You seem more than ready to take all the credit for everyone else's hard work. In fact, you barely, if at all acknowledge anyone else's work. Why is it so hard for you to understand each of us brings a unique skill set. Executive management expertise is to put together business and financial plans. I don't think many top Executives are qualified to do heavy turbine engine repair, but the business comes to a grinding hault unless someone who is qualified works through the night to keep the jets flying.

While management is responsible to the stockholders, owners and customers, ultimately so is everyone else. I'll wager most customers don't even know who management is. If they say they like the company, what they really mean is that they like the folks in customer service and they like the pilots. We are the face of the company. We are the brand! Your shortsightedness is indicative of all that is wrong with Corporate America. You think the answer to everything is reduce labor cost. It doesn't matter to you that you are mortgaging the future for this quarters performance numbers. Of course why wouldn't you? Your bonus this year depends on it. A very wise CEO once said, "if I take care of my employees they will take care of my customers, and my customers will take care of my stockholders." It seems simple. It's called the long term view and it's not in vogue lately. People like you would rather slash employee overhead to the point that no one cares about their job, and the product suffers dramatically. But hell, we don't matter. You're "responsible for all the pieces." Good thing you got that bonus last year...

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back