Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Less experience showing through at Skywest and others...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So SKW's upgrade minimum is 5000?

I wouldnt think too many people are able to take advantage of that quick upgrade I keep hearing about.

Do have no other life but to listen to Live ATC?
OK, I'll admit it. When the old lady ain't around, I fall asleep to the JFK Tower feed. I guess I'm a freak because it has a calming effect on me similar to ocean sounds and puts me right out.

I can't believe I just admitted that.

The reality of the matter is: humans make mistakes. Even the best trained pilot will make a mistake. Fatigue, work load, nutrition, health, personal distractions, anger, CRM, pressure, training and experience all play a role decision making.

To blame an airline's training program or the "time" a person has been flying is looking at only two considerations. All the training programs are FAA approved. All the pilots have been through check rides and training. And all Captains have met certain approved minimum amount of experience.

Face it, we are all mistakes just waiting to happen. And I am guessing, we have all made mistakes in the cockpit (large and small) at sometime or another.

since when is 1000tt and 100m considered "high" for minimums? I guess it's all relative.

But, as a previous poster said, this isn't a SkyWest issue, it's an industry-wide issue.

Not been to Denver much?

Guess I've been lucky. I've heard windshear alerts a few hundred times in 19 years, but I've never heard of a micro burst alert!! Was there a thunderstorm in the middle of the airport or something? I've seen the windshear equipment in the tower, but unless they have got some new equipment in the last 1 or 2 years (which is possible)they had no way to tell of a micro burst alert when I was visiting there, just windshear alerts. ( ATL tower).

The Skywest FOM section 3432 paragragh 2E clearly states that;

Takeoffs or landing will not be attempted if microburst alerts are in effect at the airport. Consider holding or diverting until conditions improve.

The Skywest FOM section 3432 paragragh 2E clearly states that;

Wow someone actually supplied some usefull info here. The point I was making by posting what SOMEONE ELSE said on another message board is that experience is down and some guys arent sure what they are supposed to do. Hundreds of new FO's are a problem. A bigger problem is captains who got the quick upgrade and dont have much experience to draw on and having not had the time to learn from a veteran pilot they flounder a bit when something out of the ordinary presents itself. Flame away but its a point worth considering.

PS- for the toolbag who asked, I fly for a 121 Major where I assure you they are not hiring guys with 1000/100.

Latest resources

Back