Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Less experience showing through at Skywest and others...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Sedona16

This from another message board makes a good point:

[FONT=ARIAL,]Thanks for the heads up. Was just packing for my trip this afternoon and started listening to liveatc.net. The interesting thing is I heard two SKYW aircraft on final when the tower issued a microburst alert. My carrier and pretty much every carrier I have known of requires a missed approach in the event of a microburst alert being issued by the tower. This alert was for a MB on the runway of +/-30KTS. The windshear alert system had been active prior to this and most carriers are allowed to utilize guidance and continue for a WS Alert but a MB always requires an immediate GoAround. In this case SKYW aircraft both said nothing when issued the MB Alert. It was only after the tower suggested a GA that they did execute the GA. There was some a comment by one of the [COLOR=red! important][FONT=ARIAL,][COLOR=red! important][FONT=ARIAL,]airplanes[/FONT][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR] to the tower of "good call tower" and another guy on the ground said "not sure what your book says but our says GO AROUND".

Do not want to get into the debate over qualifications but I know SKYW has some very low time pilots. The simulator is a great tool but you have to be able to digest the information and make the safest decisions. A MB is nothing to scoff at in any type of transport category aircraft. I would not have a concern but this involved two SKYW aircraft on final at the same time.
[/FONT]

[FONT=ARIAL,]
Do not want to get into the debate over qualifications but I know SKYW has some very low time pilots.
[/FONT]

haha.. are you serious? Im not gonna debate the fact that poor decision making skills were at hand here, but SKYW still has some of the highest hiring minimums left at the regional level. 1000TT and 100ME, unless you already have previous jet time. And then its only a drop to 850. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think only RAH still has minimums that high...

This from another message board makes a good point:

[FONT=ARIAL,]Thanks for the heads up. Was just packing for my trip this afternoon and started listening to liveatc.net. The interesting thing is I heard two SKYW aircraft on final when the tower issued a microburst alert. My carrier and pretty much every carrier I have known of requires a missed approach in the event of a microburst alert being issued by the tower. This alert was for a MB on the runway of +/-30KTS. The windshear alert system had been active prior to this and most carriers are allowed to utilize guidance and continue for a WS Alert but a MB always requires an immediate GoAround. In this case SKYW aircraft both said nothing when issued the MB Alert. It was only after the tower suggested a GA that they did execute the GA. There was some a comment by one of the [COLOR=red! important][FONT=ARIAL,][COLOR=red! important][FONT=ARIAL,]airplanes[/FONT][/FONT][/color][/color] to the tower of "good call tower" and another guy on the ground said "not sure what your book says but our says GO AROUND".

Do not want to get into the debate over qualifications but I know SKYW has some very low time pilots. The simulator is a great tool but you have to be able to digest the information and make the safest decisions. A MB is nothing to scoff at in any type of transport category aircraft. I would not have a concern but this involved two SKYW aircraft on final at the same time.
[/FONT]

And who do you work for? Lets debate poor decisions made at your $hity regional. Come on Mesa, Pinnacle, Masaba etc... i can recall some pretty stupid decisions that didn't end as well as this one did. Again who do you work for?

Last edited:
1. The original poster didn't write this, he just copied from another board.

2. Judging the guy for listening to ATC online? I agree, what a tool! But play the ball, not the player. Nobody has been brave enough to address the point he was making.

This is yet another Skywest bashing flamebait...... The experience level is getting scarry everywhere.... Some of the worst examples I have seen come from Mesa..... I watch them take off in AVL on a regular basis without turning on the runway lights..... I assume they don't know about PCL..... I have watched Delta land in thunderstorms with microburst conditions.....

This isn't a Skywest issue...... this is an industry issue.....

Maybe ALPA should push for higher experience requirements....... Sorry what was I thinking......

Guess I've been lucky. I've heard windshear alerts a few hundred times in 19 years, but I've never heard of a micro burst alert!! Was there a thunderstorm in the middle of the airport or something? I've seen the windshear equipment in the tower, but unless they have got some new equipment in the last 1 or 2 years (which is possible)they had no way to tell of a micro burst alert when I was visiting there, just windshear alerts. ( ATL tower).

Guess I've been lucky. I've heard windshear alerts a few hundred times in 19 years, but I've never heard of a micro burst alert!!

About 4 or 5 months ago while number 573 for takeoff at LGA I heard them try to issue about 3 planes takeoff clearance with windshear and microburst alerts. All denied the clearance and everyone stayed put. So microburst alerts do exist

[FONT=ARIAL,]Do not want to get into the debate over qualifications but I know SKYW has some very low time pilots. [/FONT]

Nobody lower than 1000/100 or 850 with 121 time. And could this not have been an issue with the Captains instead of the FOs, thus making the "low time" argument irrelevant... that is, of course, unless you consider 5000 hours "low time."

Nice try.

-Goose

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back