Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Less experience showing through at Skywest and others...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You take issue with "Skywest bashing flamebait" but overlook the fact that you do much the same thing when you use virtually every thread as a forum for your anti-ALPA views.

Shamrock..... I am nottrying to "flamebait" when I say and truly believe that ALPA has been a total failure in this and other areas.... Skywest isn't the problem....

Experience in this industry is both a safety issue and a collective bargaining issue...... and the silence from Herndon on this issue is deafening......

The purpose of my posts is to get people to think about ALPA and start holding ALPA accountable for it's actions and inactions...... Not to flame.....

Last edited:
Guess I've been lucky. I've heard windshear alerts a few hundred times in 19 years, but I've never heard of a micro burst alert!! Was there a thunderstorm in the middle of the airport or something? I've seen the windshear equipment in the tower, but unless they have got some new equipment in the last 1 or 2 years (which is possible)they had no way to tell of a micro burst alert when I was visiting there, just windshear alerts. ( ATL tower).

I have been on an approach into ATL in the past, had a micro-burst alert come over tower freq., followed by our approach/landing clearance canceled and go-around instructions being automatically issued. I don't think that this is standard across the board, but IMHO it should be.

This is about low time/inexperience pilots who struggle under nonstandard conditions. Nothing more.

PS- I edited my profile flight time for your benefit.

I re-read the post...funny thing about the printed word...it's cold and impersonal, no inflection, no tone, no body language...if I read it "wrong" you have my apology, as far as your flight time, I stand by my statement...10.4 isn't "low time" but it isn't "high time" either...it is what it is (and by the by, not really an indicator of skill in and of itself...we all know how that goes)...I suppose when I replied to your post I was recalling some of the power tools that left my regional, were at a major for a month and showed up in our crew room going on about how "those regional guys" are really a botheration to us major airline pilots, or whatever...again, if you meant no disrespect we have no problem and you have my apology.

What's funny, this exact thing happened to me last year in SLC. About 3 SkyWest and 1 ASA bird took off with an active MB alert at the departure end of 34R. The captain and I were blown away. We were number 2 in line when the fourth airplane took off and someone said, "I don't know about anyone else, but this is one airplane that won't be departing into a Microburst." After that, no one departed until the MB alert was over. It was kind of funny, if it wasn't so dangerous. BTW, I WORK at SkyWest, so I'm not hatin', just relating a story of what appeared to be VERY poor judgment, AND an example of "the herd mentality".

What's funny, this exact thing happened to me last year in SLC. About 3 SkyWest and 1 ASA bird took off with an active MB alert at the departure end of 34R. The captain and I were blown away. We were number 2 in line when the fourth airplane took off and someone said, "I don't know about anyone else, but this is one airplane that won't be departing into a Microburst." After that, no one departed until the MB alert was over. It was kind of funny, if it wasn't so dangerous. BTW, I WORK at SkyWest, so I'm not hatin', just relating a story of what appeared to be VERY poor judgment, AND an example of "the herd mentality".

Sometimes all we need is one guy to say no, and the rest of us will gladly wait it out as well.

I'm glad to admit to being a whimpy pilot when it comes to weather and such. As much as I want to complete a flight ontime, in the end, I'm more concerned about making it home to see my wife and kids at the end of the day.

More and more we are upgrading low time pilots to Captain and pairing them with newhires who should still be flying traffic patters in a single. Instead we are putting them in high performance turbine aircraft with 50+ strangers who entrust their lives to us.

Cleared into position and hold in ATL years ago, a Delta 737 aborted their takeoff roll real quickly when they said they got a windshear warning.

That was follwed by ATL tower reporting a windshear on final for 26R. We held on the runway and watched to show begin as 4 aircraft on final made go-arounds. Some took it to near the Ford plant before they went around, my guess is to see how bad it was??

Finally ATL tower said the warning was gone and the next guy was a World MD-11. You could tell he was working hard by the way the plane was pitching up and down to remain on the glideslope. In the end he made it, but I didn't think it was possible to bounce an MD-11 on the runway, but he did.

Latest resources

Back