Legacy Bashfest - Bring it on!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Valid points.

What s/n did you fly? The later models (885 and up) are the same noise level as just about anything else (Falcon, Cessna, Hawker, etc.), at least in back. The 650 took it further in noise reduction and apparently all new 600s will have the same configuration.

If you had wipers no wonder it was loud. Only the old P models had them as standard. They dumped those with 642 on and added blankets with each config change.

Haven't flown one with the cockpit VGs or the new 650 equivalent cockpit insulation, but I am told they are much better. The gang in Brazil finally realized that noise and 390 were hurting them and changed things up, particularly noise levels.

Your other points are valid except for ramp presence which I find ridiculous (not directed at you, just the notion that a Legacy doesn't look good on the ramp--it does). The 650 improves on all your complaint areas significantly (except ceiling--still 410) and is what the Legacy should have been from day one, but EMB likes to make their own mistakes and learn their own lessons.

End of day for what you lay out to acquire one you get a lot for your money. Owners like them. Pax like them. Crews like them. Overall a good jet and improving as they go.

Bottom line is, contrary to the desires of the haters, it has been a huge success and launched an entire business division for EMB in a down market. Quite a feat.

Cheerio.

Last edited:
Leaving "brag factor" and ramp presence aside, as someone who rarley flies outside of the continental US and the Caribbean, it i a great plane to one sitting the back. Whehter as a fractional, card or straight charter, the Legacy runs about the price of a Citation X, G-200 or CL-30, yet I can take 13 people instead of 8-10 in the comfort of a G-IV.

NJ you are correct. For the mission you have described the Legacy is good. However sometimes when you are stuck down at the lower altitudes getting your brains beaten out in turbulence or weather do you ever wish you had the ability to climb a few thousand feet and get into nice smooth air?

NJ you are correct. For the mission you have described the Legacy is good. However sometimes when you are stuck down at the lower altitudes getting your brains beaten out in turbulence or weather do you ever wish you had the ability to climb a few thousand feet and get into nice smooth air?

This^^^^^^^.

I miss the performance afforded me in a GIV. I've gotten very good at using weather radar again, because I have to. No more going to 430 or 450 to get on top. And because it doesn't have a sporty climb, you're going to step your way through the 20's and 30's for traffic and, depending on the leg length, may NEVER get to 390 or 410 (IF the airplane you're in is capable of 410 - not all are).

The airplane is capable of endurance in excess of 7hrs (I've done PANC-FRG in 07hr 05min). An 8000' cabin for that length of time is fatiguing and just plain sucks.

But most passengers seem to really like the airplane.

Even on a short leg you should be light enough to get to 400/410 without trouble unless lower is optimal any way. About the only time I get stepped is out of New York area and that's not always the case. Everyone's experience is different of course, but I have always made 400/410 when I asked/filed for it.

Every jet after 854 is 410 capable, so I think the non-410 jets are in the minority. 430 would be nice, though. Too bad we can't have the A2 motor on the 600, too!

Good comments. Thanks for taking the time, guys.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back