• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Legacy Bashfest - Bring it on!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LD - what cockpit erogonomic design problems have you heard about the 7X?

While I'm no Falcon fanboy, I really cant imagine ANY airplane being as ergonomic....and so far in my career, no airplane hand flies as nice.

My only dislike is the foot steering...and even that is no big deal.

Curious what you have heard?

One of the guys at my former employer showed me the buttons on the overhead panel. You can't tell by feel if they are on or off because they are those funky flush buttons that are usually reserved for galley lighting systems and volume controls in the cabin.

When you are trying to feel where the switches are in a low-viz situation (or when a bulb is burned out for example) you have no idea if it is on or off. It's just a flush button.

That was one thing I remember straight up.

There were other things that made me go hmmm but it has been awhile.

You don't need to "feel" if the switch is in the correct postion. If the switch is to be on, the light goes out. As for a bulb burning out, there is quad redundancy. Any switch such as a landing light switch, which is not to be confused with "cleared to land" switch, is easily identified. I do realize that giant coconuts used as switches as found on the Legacy are not there. 7X ergonomics are a beautifully well thought out design. I would have enjoyed flying that airplane.

I think we have hijacked the other ("Flying to Hawaii") thread enough.

First of all, the Legacy competes with many different airplanes on different levels and in different areas. It is superior to all comers in terms of reliability and I will stack it up against any airplane in that category. Let's go toe to toe EMB vs G-String for 100 hours and see who breaks first. (Hint: it won't be a plane made in Brazil.)

Range: I flew a Legacy 8 hours from liftoff to touchdown and was not even remotely concerned about fuel when I landed.

As for the Gulfstream and ceiling, you can't go straight to 510 (or even 410) at max gross--I can go right to 390 now (and 410 when I get my new software for pressurization).

You burn 1100 a side you said at 510. I doubt you will be doing .84 with that kind of fuel flow. I also shudder to think of your burn lower while you step climb to 410 and THEN 510. Meanwhile, when I get to go to 410 (direct!) I imagine my burn will be less than 900 lbs/side at .80M. As it is now I am burning 1140/side at 350(!) And well less than 1100 at 390. As stated, this plane is efficient at any altitude.

Resale value is still an unanswered question. Time will tell. However, Gulfstream's trade-in program accounts for the bulk of its maintained value. They just want to get you on the hook for 45 million (for another plane) so they will give you money for your junked out peachjet. If EMB does the same the value for the Legacy will stay relatively high.

The Gulfstream is what it is. It is a good airplane. When Clay Lacy was setting all those records in th IV-SP I admit to being mesmerized. But just like anything it has its limitations and bad points.

One must remember that the price differential is unjustified. Either the G is overpriced or the EMB is under priced. The Gulfstream is NOT twice the airplane the Legacy is. Gulfstream is an ego stroker just like Harley Davidson (there are better products that cost less) and customers are paying a premium for a brand name. That to me is stupid (but so is a hotel room for five grand a night and there are those who pay for such things).

You'll fly whatever the BOSS wanna buy anyway so...what's the point? EMB or GV, who cares? how much time at home I get and how much $$$, that I know the specs...

Hey LD - saw this today:

I'm guessing it does not pay the $1500/day a crappy 7X pays but it IS an Embraer!

:)

[FONT=&quot]Starbase Aviation, a leading Charter and Management company is seeking qualified Embraer Legacy Contract Pilots. The position is contract only, primarily to support our current flight crew for extended International operations.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Applicants may live in any major metro area with extensive airline schedules (pilot would be sent to and from the aircraft via airlines).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]EMB145 type & experience is required. ATP, 1st Class, No violations or accidents, 2,000 TT, 500 PIC, 1,000 Multi, 300 Multi PIC, 300 instrument, 500 turbine.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Prefer a current 135.293 & 135.297 in the EMB145 from Flight Safety, and at least 100 hours in type.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Potential to earn additional income by working with the company's charter sales department.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Apply only to: [email protected].[/FONT]

Last edited:
Hey LD - saw this today:

I'm guessing it does not pay the $1500/day a crappy 7X pays but it IS an Embraer!

[FONT=&quot]Starbase Aviation, a leading Charter and Management company is seeking qualified Embraer Legacy Contract Pilots. The position is contract only, primarily to support our current flight crew for extended International operations.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Applicants may live in any major metro area with extensive airline schedules (pilot would be sent to and from the aircraft via airlines).[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]EMB145 type & experience is required. ATP, 1st Class, No violations or accidents, 2,000 TT, 500 PIC, 1,000 Multi, 300 Multi PIC, 300 instrument, 500 turbine.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Prefer a current 135.293 & 135.297 in the EMB145 from Flight Safety, and at least 100 hours in type.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Potential to earn additional income by working with the company's charter sales department.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Apply only to: [email protected].[/FONT]

Nah, heard too much bad juju about that place from several friends...

Thanks for looking after me, bud. I appreciate it.

See you on YM. ;)

You'll fly whatever the BOSS wanna buy anyway so...what's the point? EMB or GV, who cares? how much time at home I get and how much $$$, that I know the specs...

I may never get a job in anything bigger than a Cessna 421....

But I *assure* you....

Unless G200 PERSONALLY offers me a job....

I

WILL

NEVER

FLY

A

FALCON

EVER

NO

MATTER

WHAT.

Sorry.

I have about six leads on Legacy gigs. If I get one of those I'm in. Otherwise it is either 152s or Home Depot. ;) LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN! Praise the Lord! I will go where He sends me, even if it is to prison. HA!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Listen, we need each other right now. Hunker down and hold on folks. Unemployment 17 percent? Sheesh. Get a kite and fly that if they'll pay you! Heck I'd help TURTLEHEAD get a job if he needed me to.

Close ranks, kids, it's a bumpy ride ahead.

You don't need to "feel" if the switch is in the correct postion. If the switch is to be on, the light goes out.

Works really well in a cockpit full of smoke. *rolls eyes*

Like I said, EMB ergonomics beat Falcons' to heck and gone. I have had MANY a dedicated Falcon driver agree with that when I get them in the EMB seat. (My number one and two customers when I did demos were ex-Hawker and ex-Falcon owners/pilots--the pilots had a say, no matter what you think.)

I could care less. I have a Legacy gig lined up and I can't wait to get back. My bride awaits. ;) MUHUUAUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Have a good evening kids. Cheers!

Last edited:
I may never get a job in anything bigger than a Cessna 421....

But I *assure* you....

Unless G200 PERSONALLY offers me a job....

I

WILL

NEVER

FLY

A

FALCON

EVER

NO

MATTER

WHAT.

Sorry.

I have about six leads on Legacy gigs. If I get one of those I'm in. Otherwise it is either 152s or Home Depot. ;) LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AMEN! Praise the Lord! I will go where He sends me, even if it is to prison. HA!!!!!!!!!! ;)

Listen, we need each other right now. Hunker down and hold on folks. Unemployment 17 percent? Sheesh. Get a kite and fly that if they'll pay you! Heck I'd help TURTLEHEAD get a job if he needed me to.

Close ranks, kids, it's a bumpy ride ahead.

So if someone offered you 500K/yr to drive a Falcon around a couple days a month you'd turn it down?

Right. :rolleyes:

Wow, the last post was in 2009? Come on LD, let's get this thread going. Beats the AT&T bash fest!

Lots has changed in 3 years. I am sure the Legacy has improved! Enlighten the group!

Rum

Latest resources

Back