• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Legacy Airlines Hot Again

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You guys crack me up. This thread is on the subject of finacial viability of Legacy carriers and look how quickly the subject turned. I think the experimantal hiring that happened in the 90's is mostly gone for now.

I'll make a serious attempt to comment on this but we have a firecracker of a subject here when we move past obvious lame jokes.

Do you think a former furloughee with 10 type ratings and 12000 hours who came back and gets on the interview board and represents over 25 percent of the airline population who got hosed for the last 5 to 8 years is going to put up with 500 or 1000 hour new hires? What about all the people they worked along side in the corporate, regional or supplemental ranks? You don't think there will be pressure to hire those types of people?

EEOC? It got a lot of traction in the 90's and had been proven in the most egregious circumstances and was a big scary stick for those who knew who they were on the inside.

I have friends who were really harrassed and were picked on due to their race. It was a reality in the airlines in the 80's, and well, it is in society even today in some parts of the country behind closed doors. I on the other hand truly benefitted from being a white male and having to be over-qualified by comparison to get my shot. Whatever, we all pay the price for racism, no matter what our color. (I grew up being a minority as a white kid, I have absolutely no tolerance for racism as I had been the occasional target, and correspondingly, I have little tolerance for over the top affirmative action that is out of place in our generation).

Now that minorities and women represent a significant portion of the population in the airline ranks (where they did not in the 1980's by the way) we will see more merit based hiring and less affirmative action by force.

My hope and sincere objective as a person in a leadership position in the industry is that we will continue to see plenty of minority and women pilots being hired, but on their merits and experience alone.

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!

legacies will continue their stupidity and be right back to bankruptcy as soon as they figure out how to screw this up.(period) .....you cant shrink yourself to greatness.....

United? All you need is 300 hours and a pulse. Better yet, you could always become an intern and get hired that way!

No kidding Bosley. At the flight school I use to teach at we had a United forloughee who taught on the FTD. Funny thing was, she wasn't allowed to teach in the multi engine planes. You know why, the boss wouldn't check her out because she was horrible and dangerous. I got nervous in the FTD with her. Now that is bad.

What?

Last time I checked Women only made up 7% of the pilot force. That was published in AOPA about three years ago. Women and minorities are still being hired based on their gender/race. One of the absolute worst FO's I ever flew with got hired at Continental with 2500 TT and 200 PIC Turbine and no jet time. He was 24 years old and couldn't fly or think his way out of a wet paper sack. He didn't know anyone either, magically he got a call after submitting an application. Also I know of two women who got a call after just sending in resumes to two different LCC's. They were both less qualified than me and several of my fellow white male pilots who sent in resumes.

Its a fact of life and I accept that. As a white male I will always take a back seat to women and minorities in hiring situations. In reality 7%-12% is not going to keep me from getting the job I want though. The only thing that will prevent me from getting hired is me and my actions. I can complain but it will do nothing to change the facts. (Complaining does make me a real pilot though) :)

GP

sorry if the spelling sucks, typing is not my strong point

I flew with a white male, he was terrible, I don't know how he got his job. Terrible stick and no personality. I also know of a white male who got a job over a higher qualified candidate, just because he knew somebody. I look around the pilot lounge and all I see is white males. It's unbelievable. These airlines seem to just hire white males.

No kidding. We need a couple Haley Berries or Faith Hills with pilots licenses to apply. I know they couldn't get hired as Flight Attendants.

Gup

Latest resources

Back