Leaving Regional for charter

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hey guys,

I have been presented with a unique situation. A long time friend of mine is trying to recruit me to a charter operation he is running. He has offered me left seat in a G5 starting at $130K(I have no experience with this type of equiptment). I will be traveling to "visit" this operation and to try and get a feel of whether this is a good move or not. The oportunity requires me to move far from where I live now, away from family and I will be taking a girlfriend and 2 year old with me.

Currently I make $90K as a CA on the ERJ with weekends and hollidays off. I usually have 13-15 days off a month, and enjoy a pretty good "quality of life". I am activally trying to move on to a major, and I have excepted the fact that I will take a huge pay cut. I know I will miss the benefits of being an airline pilot. (Example: My girlfriend and I are going to Germany in April free of charge.{vacation passes}) an other example I jumpseat to visit family on a regualar basis.

I know there are alot of charter guys out there that make great livings and enjoy a wonderful quality of life. I am interested in hearing their opinions. If I go to a major, I am optimistic I will be presented an oportunity within a year. I am 32, so I have lots of time left.

The important things to me are 1)being home for my family 2) making money 3) stability.

Thanks.

How come you have'nt married your gf yet? Since you have a kid.

Go with what your gut tells you and forget the big, shiney GV. There's more to life than big airplanes and bigger egos.

Take a good long look at this job. Getting a Gulfstream type rating can open a lot of doors for you. I believe it can open far more doors for you and be far more rewarding long term than continuing on the 121 path. If this charter job doesn't work for you, the Gulfstream type stays with you and you could get a follow on job based on your experience. You are well aware of the 121 routine in regards to pay cuts and loss of seniority if you move on to another carrier. This is your ticket out of the 121 world.

An author by the name of Scott Peck wrote a book called "the road less traveled"
i would get a compensation contract from the guy in writing. doing business with friends,(sorry, but) can be quite dangerous. getting something inwriting is a good business practice.
if he won't put it wrinting, run for the hills.

this is a simple litmus test of honesty and integrity in business.

that said, a couple of years or more on the GV and given all the growth in industry, you could easily pop back in to a major when you'd had enough.

but either way, you can't lose. don't look at it like there is a wrong decision here. there isn't! my(1 7/8 cents opinion)

Last edited:
Hey Rattler, here's my .02....Sounds like you have a pretty good setup right now- good pay, good schedule, and life seems pretty even right now for ya. I'd only rock the boat and go for the G-V job if, after visiting the operation, you wholeheartedly feel it's a good move. If you're at all on the fence at that point in time, then I think you have your answer. You've got a good 'bird in the hand' at the moment, and something I wouldn't give up quickly.

For what it's worth, I fly on the East Coast....Went to visit a buddy in San Diego about a year ago, and just thought S.D. was off the hook (women, nightlife, weather, young vibe, etc.) I was 'this close' to making a move out there to live like a rock star, but a wise Captain gave me 'bird in the hand' speech, and I'm upgrading real soon at my current outfit (something I wouldn't have had out there). I decided to gain PIC time first before rolling the dice on a slicker QOL.

You have an enviable decision to make. Good luck.

Last edited:
If it looks too good to be true.....

I fell for this type of deal in 2001. I went for the cash and ended up getting burned. I just finally got back to where I should have been in 2002 (left seat in an ERJ). Stay where you're at. QOL in charter sucks, and people don't buy GVs to fly from FLL to ATL if you get my drift.

T2S

Going to Charter

Hey guys,

I have been presented with a unique situation. A long time friend of mine is trying to recruit me to a charter operation he is running. He has offered me left seat in a G5 starting at $130K(I have no experience with this type of equiptment). I will be traveling to "visit" this operation and to try and get a feel of whether this is a good move or not. The oportunity requires me to move far from where I live now, away from family and I will be taking a girlfriend and 2 year old with me.

Currently I make $90K as a CA on the ERJ with weekends and hollidays off. I usually have 13-15 days off a month, and enjoy a pretty good "quality of life". I am activally trying to move on to a major, and I have excepted the fact that I will take a huge pay cut. I know I will miss the benefits of being an airline pilot. (Example: My girlfriend and I are going to Germany in April free of charge.{vacation passes}) an other example I jumpseat to visit family on a regualar basis.

I know there are alot of charter guys out there that make great livings and enjoy a wonderful quality of life. I am interested in hearing their opinions. If I go to a major, I am optimistic I will be presented an oportunity within a year. I am 32, so I have lots of time left.

The important things to me are 1)being home for my family 2) making money 3) stability.

Thanks.

Make sure that A LOT of RESEARCH is done on the outfits you are considering for employment.There are just TOO many BOTTOMFEEDERS out there that just want to USE you like a Prostitute!!!!!!!!

You also do not want to look like jump around Johnny on your resume.I would stay put, 90k is good bread.Gone 20 plus days a month could ruin your love life(at least at home).

Pros
-Nice QOL in S. FLA
-Real estate prices in retreat
-no state income tax
-good money esp for geographical area
-G type may lead to something after 500+ hours in type
-you will see most of the world much of it from a 4-5 star hotel
-Gulfstreams are beautiful a/c but in the end a glass jet is a glass jet
-accelerated advancement into management..fly when you want.
Cons
-GV type overrated;most prime positions are filled via networking(ie. you)
-lots of moves in many GV careers
-lots of negatives about S. Fla too
-stability? Expect to be on duty for most holidays and away extensively
-working for a friend can be a minefield
-coworkers may distrust you cause you're buddys with the boss
-nobody is pulling 2000/day in G contracting unless their providing adult services in the deal.

Good Luck with your decision!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back