Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
In a somewhat ironic twist I am faced with the exact opposite of
Rattlers' dilema;
Do I take a position with a major airline, and accept the initial 75k pay cut along with the prospect of weekly cross country commutes for the benefits of a schedule and an eventual increase in pay that might equal my current pay in a few years?
Throw in the fact that I'm nearly 44 and you can see I don't have so many years to "catch up". Plus the fact that I know I will miss flying to exotic destinations, (TEB doesn't count!). And you can see It's not an easy decision, even the wife can't make her mind up, other than to say, "But why can't you just stay at this job and not go away so often?"

BTW rattler, will you be moving to the SoCal area? If so, bear in mind that even the crappiest houses out here cost upwards of 500K and that's with a commute! Typical prices in the outer areas are around 700k

Last edited:
I would think the ONLY reason to move to this charter gig would be to gain the experience necessary to reach your goals. But you already have that experience, so unless you simply have a hard-on to go fly a GV, I'd say you'd be wasting your time. I would see a charter gig on a plane like that as BIG step backwards in QOL, and you rank that as important. I'll call the salary a wash, as you'd be moving to a more expensive area.

What gives? WHY do you want this, if at all???

What gives? WHY do you want this, if at all???

Well, the $40K bump in pay would be nice, plus I would expect the pay to up from there over time. Untill listening to all of your experences I really didn't know much about how it is to work for a charter operation.Thank you for all your imput. I really want nothing to do with a 18 on schedule like one of you mentioned, that's just not for me. But I will still check the operation out, and I will have lots of questions that need answering.

Hey Makessheepnervous, want to trade jobs for a month? No it's in South Fla, so it's not that bad.

I'll echo the majority here... if the QOL is what matters to you, you'll be hard-pressed to match the airline lifestyle. Question to ask is regarding hard days off at the charter outfit. Any pop-up trips?

Charter flying is night and day from the airlines. You'll go from a set schedule at an airline to on-demand, and that can be rough on some people. Other people thrive on that.

My personal experience is that you get substantially more job satisfaction flying charter than with the airlines primarily because you are more intimately involved with the entire aspect of the operation, and not just picking up paperwork, loading up the FMS and blasting off...

G-V is an awesome airplane and an extremely valuable type rating to have.

If I were presented with the same option at this point, I'd happily trade my 737 job for a G-V gig.

Hey guys,

I have been presented with a unique situation. A long time friend of mine is trying to recruit me to a charter operation he is running. He has offered me left seat in a G5 starting at $130K(I have no experience with this type of equiptment). I will be traveling to "visit" this operation and to try and get a feel of whether this is a good move or not. The oportunity requires me to move far from where I live now, away from family and I will be taking a girlfriend and 2 year old with me.

Currently I make $90K as a CA on the ERJ with weekends and hollidays off. I usually have 13-15 days off a month, and enjoy a pretty good "quality of life". I am activally trying to move on to a major, and I have excepted the fact that I will take a huge pay cut. I know I will miss the benefits of being an airline pilot. (Example: My girlfriend and I are going to Germany in April free of charge.{vacation passes}) an other example I jumpseat to visit family on a regualar basis.

I know there are alot of charter guys out there that make great livings and enjoy a wonderful quality of life. I am interested in hearing their opinions. If I go to a major, I am optimistic I will be presented an oportunity within a year. I am 32, so I have lots of time left.

The important things to me are 1)being home for my family 2) making money 3) stability.

Thanks.

If I am not mistaken, I think the insurance company that underwrites that GV is going to be most reluctant to allow you to fly that aircraft as PIC with a brand new GV type and zero experience-a issue you might want to discuss with your buddy.

I think you should stay put as you have control of your schedule and can thus balance personal and professional commitments, going the charter route generally means a sacrifice in personal QOL. If you are living comfortably on your current salary and working conditions, it will be probably better to wait for a major airline opportunity.

An old grey-headed pilot once told me to look at how many steps are on the airplane door, multiply that by 3, and that's how many days a month you're gonna be away from home flying that thing. 7 steps X 3 = about 21 days a month you're not in your own bed.

The big thing to get out of these fellas is how many HARD days off a month are you going to have? Are you on call 24/7? How many nights a month can you expect to be gone? How many hours a year do you see the airplane flying? Usually, on the last two questions, multiply the number he gives you by 1.5 and that'll be closer to the real number. If an owner tells you he's going to fly 200 hours a year, 200 X 1.5 = 300 will probably be more true.

The biggest thing I've learned in my about 10 years in this stupid business is KNOW WHAT YOU'RE GETTING IN TO. Ask the right questions. QOL is #1 to me, and if an owner is questioning why you're asking stuff like that then you probably don't want to work for him. $130K is great money, but if you're gone 25 days a month and never see your family it ain't worth sheeite.

My $.02.

Hey guys,

I have been presented with a unique situation. A long time friend of mine is trying to recruit me to a charter operation he is running. He has offered me left seat in a G5 starting at $130K(I have no experience with this type of equiptment). I will be traveling to "visit" this operation and to try and get a feel of whether this is a good move or not. The oportunity requires me to move far from where I live now, away from family and I will be taking a girlfriend and 2 year old with me.

Currently I make $90K as a CA on the ERJ with weekends and hollidays off. I usually have 13-15 days off a month, and enjoy a pretty good "quality of life". I am activally trying to move on to a major, and I have excepted the fact that I will take a huge pay cut. I know I will miss the benefits of being an airline pilot. (Example: My girlfriend and I are going to Germany in April free of charge.{vacation passes}) an other example I jumpseat to visit family on a regualar basis.

I know there are alot of charter guys out there that make great livings and enjoy a wonderful quality of life. I am interested in hearing their opinions. If I go to a major, I am optimistic I will be presented an oportunity within a year. I am 32, so I have lots of time left.

The important things to me are 1)being home for my family 2) making money 3) stability.

Thanks.

Should you not want the job, please PM me all the info. I am sure myself and 1000 other ASA pilots would take it in a heartbeat.

If I am not mistaken, I think the insurance company that underwrites that GV is going to be most reluctant to allow you to fly that aircraft as PIC with a brand new GV type and zero experience-a issue you might want to discuss with your buddy

Good point, but it hasn't been brought up. I do know however it is not unheard of to hire into left left seat of jet aircraft. As previously stated I do not have Gulfstream experience, but I do have a fair amount PIC jet time. A very good question, I will look into it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back