Leave SWA for Fed Ex

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Moose,
ok, you may not get the stress of retirement, transition, furlough, etc...

We do...!!!!

So, walk a mile in our shoes.

That is all.
Z

The stress of retirement? YGBSM. How's that nice O-5 check every month while you job hunt and wait in the pool? When I and most others "transitioned" from the civ and/or mil background, our annual paycheck for working a full year at first year pay was not much more than what you made for simply getting out of bed every morning. How about YOU walk a mile in OUR shoes?

If you are, as your profile seems to indicate, retired active duty, then let me be the first to say thanks for your service and wish you a rewarding retirement. But don't for a minute compare the stress levels of someone drawing a retirement check against someone who is furloughed, job hunting, or otherwise hurting for cash.

737ski: It sounds like you fit right in there at SWA...Holy Bovine.

Ever heard of Scope??
Yes. Scope is what a company agrees to when it is negotiating a contract with it's represented employees. While they're virtually a staple of most labor contracts, there is NO requirement under the NLRB binding a company to a scope clause unless they've agreed to one.

Ever heard of Spin-offs? Outsourcing? Foreign subsidiaries?

Dang skippy Air Force & proud of it!!. Can u say you've logged combat time, been to Afghanistan, Iraq, or flown a Congressional delegation to Africa???

The smallest thing that you've flown is the Skytrain and you're bragging about combat time? Get over yourself.

Isn't it interesting that when a customer wants to ship a package to Aunt Mabel and the agent says "that'll be $150" the customer doesn't blink. But when they want to go VISIT Aunt Mabel and the agent says "that'll be $150" they lose their minds and complain about how expensive air travel is.

Ha! Entertainingly accurate. Good perspective.

Ever heard of Spin-offs? Outsourcing? Foreign subsidiaries?

Ever heard of "happy retirement"? Sincerely...retire, be happy. What's outsourcing? I know spin-offs...that's like Laverne and Shirley.

How do you like living in Mempho

While I would prefer to be farther away from any big city (such as Mempho) my family is quite thrilled with life in Collierville. 20+ years in the CG, wife was happy wherever we went, I am lucky in that regard. We make the most of wherever we live, but C'ville has a lot to offer, and not having to commute was a godsend those first 2 years.

Now that I can hold a line I prefer the pm out and backs, and life is pretty good. Wife works part time about 5 minutes away from the house, kids can walk to the neighborhood school, and the schools are actually pretty good, especially compared to Mobile, AL (my adopted and beloved hometown). Kids are happy, the wif is happy, can't complain.

Yeah Memphis has its problems: crime, crappy government officials and school district, but I try to stay out of Memphis as much as possible. All of those elements creep inexorably to the east, and there is more than enough crime in Collierville, but overall it is a very nice place to live. There are lots of parks, good recreational programs and sports for the kidlets, and the town is fairly well managed.

I know there are plenty of purple guys who hate the area, that is fine and they can live where they like. I am happy to be where I am and I think any of the outlying areas to the south, east and northeast are certainly worth considering if you do get on with FedEx. I don't know much about West Memphis (Ark) so I can't comment on that part of the area.

Again, good luck and let us know how it works out.

FJ

Latest resources

Back