• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yup, and it all ends on 1/1/15, at which point every one of those pilots will be assimilated onto the SW MSL on that date.

Isn't that exactly how the legacies do it? ;)

Great, until then, no more pointing out outsourcing while you are guilty of it too. Same planes should have same pay. DL and NWA had similar 757s, and they got the same rate as soon as possible (not a 3 year wait....) in a joint contract that took less than a year to negotiate. I don't know how your union could have signed off on your different pay for same plane type deal.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It doesn't do one thing to help with training, notice how the AAI guys who never flew a 737 are getting trained. It started early on in SWA history, and has never seemed to go away. Many had the "I had to do it, so should everyone behind me should" attitude has probably kept it going this long. That and the fact that SWA knows how serious someone is when they say in the interview that they want to work there. BTW, many of the guys that were hired the last 10 years were typed in the -200, now explain to me how that helped SWA in training.

The overhead panel is pretty darn close on the 732 and 737-700 (thanks to you guys, btw, thanks for that......). Overall, the 732 and 737NG are very close except the PFD, MCP, and FMS. That can be learned in a weekend....

If an Airline can't afford to train it's own pilots or had a big risk of a flight risk to other airlines, I could maybe see why they would make a PFT deal. But, your airline hasn't had that problem in the past, and is financially sound. No real excuse.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Same planes should have same pay.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Here's where we completely agree General.

Remember those DC-9-10's that held 74 passengers?

What was the seating config on those large RJs you guys just signed off on? Those guys are making a THIRD the salary. Good job.

Isn't something like 40+% of Deltoids flying done by RJ's? When will all those RJ pilots be put on Deltoids MSL, without interviewing?

Great, until then, no more pointing out outsourcing while you are guilty of it too.

Really? Even you can't believe that our deal is even remotely similar to the RJ fiasco the legacies have been dealing with for nearly a quarter century.

Same planes should have same pay. DL and NWA had similar 757s, and they got the same rate as soon as possible (not a 3 year wait....) in a joint contract that took less than a year to negotiate. I don't know how your union could have signed off on your different pay for same plane type deal.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Why not? Your union did the same thing, only worse. It took the Pan Am guys who transitioned to Delta 27 months to make pay parity. And they were on the Delta property, flying Delta metal, in Delta uniforms with Delta ID on their shirts. Gary offered the AT guys pay parity on (almost) day one, but they turned it down.

I can't believe that the legacy guys had their heads so far up their keisters that they allowed the RJ scourge to destroy so many careers in the first place.

Our short term deal during the AT transition is nothing compared to the RJ atrocity that the legacies have committed on this career.

Isn't something like 40+% of Deltoids flying done by RJ's? When will all those RJ pilots be put on Deltoids MSL, without interviewing?

We have been told, outside the grandfathered NWA agreements, Never. The best we could ever hope for is a guaranteed interview with Delta.

Just imagine for a moment.

5.5-6 yr FO, early 30s, at SWA.
Still in the bottom 10% (believe it or not.)

Discuss.....

That's ridiculous. - 'Wave' says that there are no young pilots at SWA. There is no way you could have been hired in your late twenties or early thirties. It takes eons of experience to be hired at SWA. You must be "significantly older".

Wave said it's true. Therefore you must not exist.

P.S. Good luck with your decision

Here's where we completely agree General.

Remember those DC-9-10's that held 74 passengers?

What was the seating config on those large RJs you guys just signed off on? Those guys are making a THIRD the salary. Good job.

Those RJ pilots aren't in the mainline pilot group, a lot of them aren't owned by DL. AT pilots are on your seniority list, and they fly the exact same planes. Come on Red, you know that.... Good try. I think Lufthansa should also pay 747-800 pilots the same as Zeplin Blimp pilots of the past, they are the same size..... Great DC9-10 analogy.... Good try Red...

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:

That percentage is decreasing rapidly, via the contract in the form of ratios, and higher gas prices allowing the parking of 215 50 seaters, vs adding 70 76 seaters. Throw in 88 717s and the percentages of mainline vs DCI lean a lot more towards mainline. Not all of the RJ pilots were flying for companies owned by DL. The Compass pilots WERE initially employed by NWA and then DL, and they negotiated a direct flow up. The Endeavor or PNCL pilots get preferential interviews, but obviously DL wants control of who they hire, and with higher new hire pay and upcoming growth and retirements, it won't be tough to find quality applicants. I bet many Corndogs, especially in the bottom half of their list, will apply. Stagnation appears very plausible there.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Last edited:
Really? Even you can't believe that our deal is even remotely similar to the RJ fiasco the legacies have been dealing with for nearly a quarter century.

Why not? Your union did the same thing, only worse. It took the Pan Am guys who transitioned to Delta 27 months to make pay parity. And they were on the Delta property, flying Delta metal, in Delta uniforms with Delta ID on their shirts. Gary offered the AT guys pay parity on (almost) day one, but they turned it down.

I can't believe that the legacy guys had their heads so far up their keisters that they allowed the RJ scourge to destroy so many careers in the first place.

Our short term deal during the AT transition is nothing compared to the RJ atrocity that the legacies have committed on this career.

So, because a company did something years ago, it's ok to do it today? Air Beirut probably made their DC3 pilots in the 1950s poop in buckets. Soooo, you guys should do it today? Come on! DL/NWA just did the pay parity thing a couple years before your own merger. You guys had the chance to watch two mergers, and how things worked out at each. Did you guys learn anything? Apparently not. Quit making excuses while using the past to justify it.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back