Leave SWA for AA or Delta?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I sincerely ask,

Can somebody explain to me how getting a 737 type is a dishonorable thing to do, but getting a job with a legacy who paid $30/hr with no health insurance for the first six months was an honorable way to get in...??

When i got in SWA, i got paid fifty-something/hr and health benefits from the day 1 of initial training.

People always say " a whole bunch of SWA FOs are going to leave because they can upgrade at other carriers faster." , but for some reason, we never hear about people who have actually left SWA to go to a legacy.

I do realize, however, leaving SWA could possibly be someone's best career move considering # of retirement coming up, so good luck to you!!

Look, the type rating is a Red Hearing, haters got to hate. Notice those same folks don't mention outsourcing pilot jobs at the airlines not requiring a type, costing them more than the value of hundreds of type rating...

They DO require it, it is a PFT deal that saves them money and denying it just because you happened to have it or the VA paid for it certainly doesn't win the debate on the subject.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I completely disagree with the type rating requirement. I think we've missed out on a lot of great pilots that would've otherwise considered coming here and would've done well.

I have never paid one dime to SW for any training whatsoever. I couldn't, even if I wanted to.

The only thing I can imagine it saving any money is on insurance, because the level of training SW provides is on par with every other 121 outfit I've been with. Nothing was reduced due to everyone being typed.

So, how can SW be a "PFT deal" if there is no possible way to PAY SW for your training?

Can somebody explain to me how getting a 737 type is a dishonorable thing to do, but getting a job with a legacy who paid $30/hr with no health insurance for the first six months was an honorable way to get in...??

When i got in SWA, i got paid fifty-something/hr and health benefits from the day 1 of initial training.

People always say " a whole bunch of SWA FOs are going to leave because they can upgrade at other carriers faster." , but for some reason, we never hear about people who have actually left SWA to go to a legacy.

I do realize, however, leaving SWA could possibly be someone's best career move considering # of retirement coming up, so good luck to you!!

CAL used to do that, but now UAL does not. DL pays $68 an hour first year now I believe, and $71 next year (?), without paying for a type. You may have had that excuse in the past, but it shouldn't still be happening. It looks like there are better options now, with higher pay and free types.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Look, the type rating is a Red Hearing, haters got to hate. Notice those same folks don't mention outsourcing pilot jobs at the airlines not requiring a type, costing them more than the value of hundreds of type rating...

You are outsourcing your INTL flights on the 737 to cheaper AT pilots right now. Tell me that's not true. Same size plane, cheaper rates.

Bye Bye---General Lee

You are outsourcing your INTL flights on the 737 to cheaper AT pilots right now. Tell me that's not true. Same size plane, cheaper rates.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Yup, and it all ends on 1/1/15, at which point every one of those pilots will be assimilated onto the SW MSL on that date.

Isn't that exactly how the legacies do it? ;)

Bye Bye---General Lee

Please General. Your trying to use a Merger Agreement to compare us to your 25 years (and counting) of outsourcing? That's laughable and you know it.

Even though AirTran is technically owned by SW, they are operated under the AirTran business model (ie bag fees, hub and spoke, etc). This has been explained to you how many times? 50 at least.

So two companies merging their operations over a finite time frame is the same as you allowing 800+ RJ and paying those guys crap wages to do the flying that you should have always been doing? See how stupid your argument is? Everyone else does.

Don't do it. Seniority is everything. Unless another airline has a base you want or already live in, you'll be just chasing your tail. Things are constantly changing, and so it will be at southwest or xyz airline. Enjoy your good fortune!

I agree with the just of your post, however you are mixing up seniority and longevity...poster is not ganging seniority if they are not expanding or retiring pilots.

They DO require it, it is a PFT deal that saves them money and denying it just because you happened to have it or the VA paid for it certainly doesn't win the debate on the subject.

It doesn't do one thing to help with training, notice how the AAI guys who never flew a 737 are getting trained. It started early on in SWA history, and has never seemed to go away. Many had the "I had to do it, so should everyone behind me should" attitude has probably kept it going this long. That and the fact that SWA knows how serious someone is when they say in the interview that they want to work there. BTW, many of the guys that were hired the last 10 years were typed in the -200, now explain to me how that helped SWA in training.

Latest resources

Back