Leave Netjets...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

crjdude

As a 15+ year guy I'm weighing my options.

Would you ride the Netjets contract negotiations out or abandon ship and try and head for a Major?

For the record I have always enjoyed this job...

Really a shame what the current management is doing to what once was a truly great company.

Thanks

crjdude

Would you ride the Netjets contract negotiations out or abandon ship and try and head for a Major?

Really a shame what the current management is doing to what once was a truly great company.

Thanks

crjdude

How much longer will the contract negotiations take - 2+ years? Do you want to wait that long? Doesn't hurt to apply to the majors and see how it goes. My opinion: if you get picked up by Delta you leave for Delta with the great profit sharing and benefits. Beyond that it would be your choice. Doesn't hurt to apply and see how it goes...

Thanks

crjdude

In my opinion the Frax industry peaked about 2007. Since the recession hit, the changes in the industry have led to the commoditization of our product and the charter operators becoming the growth segment in private lift. And they pay crap wages, rely on airplane owners to subsidize their capital costs, and mostly don't mind breaking regs to get the job done. How will the Frax compete on price? I think we'll continue to see downward pressure on wages and benefits, longer duty days and a deteriorating product. And so we've seen the rise of CEO's willing to push those measures.

With the majors in what looks like a sustained growth and hiring period and the promise of higher pay after 5-6 years, if you're young enough to recoup the initial loss and your family situation can take it, why would anyone not make the jump if able? They're hiring guys into their late 40's now. If this had happened 5 years ago, I'd be gone without a 2nd look back. But with kids coming up on college the math doesn't work for my family. So it depends on your circumstances. But for anyone who is in a position to do it, I would say leave now while the getting is good. The Frax biz used to be a lot of fun, and the flying was great, but the days just seem to get longer and the money doesn't get better. I only see that getting worse over the next several years, no matter how hard the pilot group fights. Sad, but it is what it is. Our job is to make the best of it and take care of our families. Anyway, that's my 2₵.

Last edited:
You are senior to me. Go and don't look back. :D

Seriously, morale is low right now solely BECAUSE of the negotiations. As soon as the CBA is finished and Hansell is gone it will get better again. In the mean time, own the process, fly your trips one leg at a time, and don't let the micro-managing get to you. It's the game. However, at this time, if you get hired at a place like Delta I can't see looking back and saying, "This was a huge mistake." It's a great airline.

Remember, the grass is always greener on the other side because it is well fertilized with bullcrap.

Last edited:
What Johnsonrod said, and fishman.

Put in, you have no decision to make until you get a job offer. I have been telling this to all young guys I meet.
What would be really nice is if you get the job offer just after the contract is signed. (Of course that may be awhile, and it may make the decision harder? But hey, what a great position to be in!)
I wish I was younger (58), I would be applying as well.
Oh, and you are senior to me so go for it!:beer:

take care, Semore

Thanks

crjdude

If you have 15 years or more to make a major, I'd go.

I've done both major and NetJets.

As far as pay, corporate culture and quality of life, NetJets sucks.

The flying is pretty fun...as long as you stay away from the bureaucracy.

Unless you are willing to give up a lot to fly little jets, GO!

You'll wonder why you didn't go a long time ago.

Trying to decide if the initial cut in pay, commuting, etc... is worth the strain on my family.

Still can't believe I'm even considering returning to the airlines after 15 years here.

Thought I was done.

Thanks for the replies.

crjdude

Latest resources

Back