Leave Airtran for United??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
gt1900,

While generally i'd agree with you about the upgrade, i've been about 40 numbers away from holding captain on the last 3 bids. Also, with the reduction in new airplanes showing up this year, they might stop upgrades for the rest of the year like they did for about 6 months last year. That's what I mean by it being a crap shoot. It isn't nearly as stable as it was a year ago.

Those you dont care about upgrade obviously want to work to 65. Think about this. If United mergers with anyone they will have overlap. Overlap means they are not going to keep that frequency in. This also means any old airframes will be weeded out of both carriers. Then you want to add in Uniteds great scope clause (not) and you can almost garuntee that you will see many of those EMB 175s or 190s (in the future) doing the roots of the old small narrowbody jets that they got rid of. Let somone else take the risk with buying new airframes like Chatauqua. Airtran is a growth airline that has slots in many every major hub. Think about that. If they get bought a few years down the road and you have seniority you may end up quite well in a shuffle if not you will still upgrade faster which means you dont have to work forever. I would rather be a captain on an okay day making good money than an FO having a great day making crap.

There may be some overlap. If they merge with CAL there is only like a 4% overlap. Both are still hiring, I can't imagine that would change a whole lot. Also figure there will be so many fences put up that if you are already there you would be in a better situation that if you tried later. Not saying you should leave, QOL is very important and if leaving meant no commute then I would leave.

absolutely NO REGRETS! I liked my regional better than your place...and as far as our scabs go...they know their place yours'....hell they run your training dept. and all you ever hear is the famous "back at eastern" line. Screw that ********************. I won't hurt ya'lls feelns anymore though by saying such negative stuff.

I feel sorry for your boyfriend. Don't hate the player, hate the GAME...

170's = pretty much the same thing as the 175's right? Or am i mistaken?

Either way flying the 170 would be cheaper than operating the 737-500. Those routes than are low yield would get some of these Im sure. Either way United let go of their scope and I am correct I believe that the regionals that are allowed to fly are on a one for one basis. This is what scares me about going to or merging with United. They dont have to shell out the cash for newer 100 seat aircraft. Chataqua is already begging them to do it. At least Airtran flys their own routes. American is fighting to get their scope back. Continental has held the line at 50 seaters (the only one to do so) and will fight to keep it this way. Airtran is a good company and the grass is not always greener.

Stay in the grocery line you are standing in. As soon as you move, somebody has to get their check looked at by a manager, go get a new box of Cheerios cuz the one they have is open. You stand there and watch the people who were behind you in your original line, go right out the door with their groceries.

Same rules apply here especially since you've been standing in line for over a year. Remember, not many people wanted to go to SWA in the late 90's. AirTran will be a great place in a few years. Mark my words.

Curious George, its a tough decision. Just to add to your mix of emotions, there are more UAL guys here at AAI that gave up their 1999-2001 seniority number than those that went back. Most of my friends, and I'll add friends that are senior to me , at UAL urged me not to come back unless I have no where else to go. Best of luck to you in whatever your decision will be.

late 30's.
F.O. with 18 months in.
Discuss:

Interesting question. I used the stats from Airline Pilot Central and came up with the following

Assumptions:
25 years of flying remaining

Earn minimum guarantee
United 65 hours, Air Tran 70 hours

Air Tran: 3 years as FO, then Upgrade
United: 5 years 737 FO, 5 years 75/76 FO, 5 years A320 CA, 5 Years 75/76, 5 Years 777 CA

Air Tran Earnings: $2,809,800
United Earnings: 2,468,700

I realize this is oversimplified, but an apples to apples comparison shows you make more $ at Air Tran.

Now consider that Air Tran is growing, United is not.
You are also more likely to become much more senior at Air Tran than you evel will at United, allowing for better QOL.

If it were me, I think I'd stay at Air Tran.

That analysis is only valid if you use the same number of credit house.

You can't use guarantee. NO ONE flies ONLY guarantee for their entire career.

Try going back in and using an 80 hour base (960 hours per year) for both, and I think you'll see it is probably about the same amount of money over the entire career... however...

Neither carrier is going to stay at those rates. AAI will likely increase somewhere between 5-7% for CA's on the next T.A. and F/O's will likely go to 10-15% or higher (not to mention that the ONLY AAI pilots who are going to upgrade in Year 3 are the guys who have ALREADY BEEN THERE for 3 years. New-hires are looking at 7+ years).

Look for UAL to try to grab back at least 10-15% across the board as well, even though they're having some financial issues these days.

The biggest single issue, since money is fairly equal, is Quality of Life.

Like others have said: IF you have the choice, pick the company for its bases, its culture, and how good your life will be working there. The money is so close as to not be an issue between these two companies... at least for now.

Latest resources

Back