• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Leave Airtran for United??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I won't get into a long discussion of my dislike for SWA, because it would probably result in one of those 10 page threads that happen when the General posts about LBB and 737s, but I'm most certainly serious. I really have zero desire to work for SWA. Believe it or not, not everyone wants to work there. I like working at AAI, and I don't even have an application out at UAL or any other airline, but an SWA merger would likely change that. Hopefully I'll never have to make that decision.

I'll be the first to admit this place is not for everyone, but if a guy is already content flying narrow-body aircraft in domestic ops, it's a pretty good gig. To each his own, I guess. Best of luck to you.

PCL,

Delta +1% those are bankruptcy pay rates and that is what you are willing to settle for? 3 years past the amendable date?

I feel sorry for you guys and gals at Air Tran with people like this there is no way you will ever get a good contract. Do you think pilots at UAL are going to settle for Delta +1%?

You have a good job with a stable, growing, profitable company. In a couple of years you will upgrade and be earning over 100K a year, with a potential to be pulling in over 150K by the time you reach the top of the pay scale. You have been there less than 2 years, and are already 25% up the seniority list. Imagine where you will be in few years.
When you fly you cross very few time zones, and I guess you do very little "back of the clock" flying, which serves to increase your life expectancy.

I'm hard pressed to see what United can offer you that you don't already have. Unless your life just won't be complete without flying a 747 into Hong Kong, I'd say stay where you are.

I'll state it another way. What do you feel you would be missing if you did not go to UAL?

If, Thats a big IF you are senior enough to hold that schedule as a captain then you have it pretty good. 95% don't

By the way what's the time to hold that at CAL?
my guess is 20plus.

Did I say Captain? You can get a schedule like that pretty quick as an FO. We have 2 year guys/gals on the 777 holding 19-21 days off flying to Europe and Asia. Our domestic layovers are a hell of a lot better than AAI's. I know, I worked for Airtran for almost 3 years. Our short layover hotels are the same as AirTran's only layover hotels. Trust me on this. I tried to help a 10 year AAI guy get on at CAL recently but he never got the call. He is starting at Delta next month. Why? Like many, he wants to see the world and enjoy all that flying for a global airine has to offer. Doing a side by side comparison of just money works for some, but not others. BTW, my side by side comparison made before chosing to leave AAI for CAL ended up being very concervative. I have already beat the #'s for year 2 and will easily do so for year 3 after having left the 737 for the 757/767 now based in IAH.
I am not bashing AirTran and never have and never will. Just trying to back up one's decision to leave for United based on what I've seen having flown for AirTran and now Continental. It's not just about the hot meals etc. There is a lot too it.

IAHERJ

I'll be the first to admit this place is not for everyone, but if a guy is already content flying narrow-body aircraft in domestic ops, it's a pretty good gig. To each his own, I guess. Best of luck to you.

Hey, I won't be upset if SWA buys us.:beer:

Did I say Captain? You can get a schedule like that pretty quick as an FO. We have 2 year guys/gals on the 777 holding 19-21 days off flying to Europe and Asia. Our domestic layovers are a hell of a lot better than AAI's. I know, I worked for Airtran for almost 3 years. Our short layover hotels are the same as AirTran's only layover hotels. Trust me on this. I tried to help a 10 year AAI guy get on at CAL recently but he never got the call. He is starting at Delta next month. Why? Like many, he wants to see the world and enjoy all that flying for a global airine has to offer. Doing a side by side comparison of just money works for some, but not others. BTW, my side by side comparison made before chosing to leave AAI for CAL ended up being very concervative. I have already beat the #'s for year 2 and will easily do so for year 3 after having left the 737 for the 757/767 now based in IAH.
I am not bashing AirTran and never have and never will. Just trying to back up one's decision to leave for United based on what I've seen having flown for AirTran and now Continental. It's not just about the hot meals etc. There is a lot too it.

IAHERJ

Why can't I edit my post to correct a spelling mistake? Anyway, concervative should be conservative......

PCL,

Delta +1% those are bankruptcy pay rates and that is what you are willing to settle for? 3 years past the amendable date?

I feel sorry for you guys and gals at Air Tran with people like this there is no way you will ever get a good contract. Do you think pilots at UAL are going to settle for Delta +1%?
Have you seen our FO rates? Taking our second year rate to DAL +1% is about a 25% raise. If you think you can get much more than that in one contract, then you're dreaming. I think our CA rates will be quite a bit higher than DAL +1% (even our failed TA rates were much higher), but trying to jack the FO rates up to SWA+ will be next to impossible in one contract.

Have you seen our FO rates? Taking our second year rate to DAL +1% is about a 25% raise. If you think you can get much more than that in one contract, then you're dreaming. I think our CA rates will be quite a bit higher than DAL +1% (even our failed TA rates were much higher), but trying to jack the FO rates up to SWA+ will be next to impossible in one contract.

With all due respect, don't be so quick to cut down your own legs. I don't hear that coming from AMR, UAL, DAL or any CAL guys. I wouldn't be so quick as to create lower expectations for your management and your union. This is the kind of stuff that goes on at Regionals. It should not be happening at the Major level, period.

DAL is working under BK wages. All things being equal, I doubt DAL pilots would settle for their current wages. You guys should be shooting for parity with SWA. They're the airline that best mirrors what you can, and what you've accomplished to this point.

Further, you get what you negotiate. I think that the mentality has to be positive (with some militancy) and the bar has to be set high before getting into the ring with management. Otherwise, you may be schooled into accepting something that's less diserving of your pilots.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back