• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Learjet 45 crashes in Telluride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Useless information about a Cessna 150 towing gliders out of TEX...but it's beyond your capabilities...perhaps why it's useless to you. You've been beat out by a Cessna 150. Never the less, you believe the airport should be shut down "once and for all."

This, because you're not up to the task...the same task a beginning pilot in a little Cessna 150 can handle...and thousands of other pilots also handle in high performance equipment, every year.

So I am supposed to be impressed that a pilot in a
C-152 can "do it?" The village keeps calling for you Avbug!

Of course you're not supposed to be impressed. You're supposed to be embarassed that what you find dangerous and impossible is handled by a little old underpowered Cessna 152. You think the airport should be shut down forever because...*fill in your favorite excuse here*...and it's beyond you.

Impressed? No. You really ought to be embarassed...but given your observations thus far, it's unlikely you'll manage that, either.

As stated before, a poor carpenter blames his tools. You blame the airport. There's nothing wrong with the airport...just the pilot who would see it shut down.

THAT is decidedly NOT impressive.

I don't fly the 150 out of Telluride...but then I'm not the one calling for the airport to be shutdown forever, either.

Many pilots regularly fly in and out of there without heartburn...just one here has whined about it.

The Cessna 150 flies out of there regularly, towing gliders; it's based there, as are the sailplanes...and it's a daily activity.

Any one with HALF a brain realizes you cannot tow a glider with a C150 !

Grow the other half, and you'll realize that while you may not be able to tow a glider with a Cessna 150...it's certainly done regularly by people with complete brains...including those operating out of Telluride.

You see Avbug, they're called aircraft limitations. My Gulfstream, and every other jet I have flown, says there is a +-2% runway gradient allowed. Whomever sliced TEX into that moutain did so with "fuzzy math" that somehow proved <2%. Come to think of it, the Rose Bowl is the same way! But someday you'll learn, or perhaps not--the cemetery could always use
another spineless yesman like yourself! You keep going there and bring your lunch to cheer on that super 152 glider tow that you are so fond of.

We fly in and out of KTEX on a regular basis. It is not my favorate airport but it does not need to be closed. You have to be ahead of your airplane and to be man enough to go to your alternate when weather (celing, visabilaty and wind) exceed your personal limits. Since we fly a cat. D aircraft we are limited to VFR we also avoid X-wind over15kts.

They are doing a $52 million dollar revamp of the airport and runway. Runway will be level and there will be overuns with that crushed concrete stuff. It is supposed to be closed at some point for a few months during this project.

You see Avbug, they're called aircraft limitations. My Gulfstream, and every other jet I have flown, says there is a +-2% runway gradient allowed. Whomever sliced TEX into that moutain did so with "fuzzy math" that somehow proved <2%. Come to think of it, the Rose Bowl is the same way! But someday you'll learn, or perhaps not--the cemetery could always use
another spineless yesman like yourself!

I've flown corporate aircraft into KTEX many times, as have thousands of other pilots...we're all able and do it without worry, and do it legally. Everybody it would seem, except for you.

Go figure.

If your limitation is 2.0%...where exactly is your "fuzzy math?" Runway gradient on 09 from the midpoint to the end is 1.5%, with gradient on 27 midpoint to end of 1.7%. You find these numbers in excess of 2%, then?

Forget the little cessna...even though it does with ease what you find to be a daunting task. Forget the thousands of pilots who do it with ease in turbojet and turbopropeller equipment. Forget the fact that the airport is served by a scheduled Part 121 operation. Forget the fact that the field is easily within the 2% limitation that you've cited. Forget the fact that you're wrong on every count. Forget the fact that the runway gradient is being reduced even more by improvements that are presently in progress.

You go right on fearing that airfield (and calling for it's closure) while thousands of others conduct daily, safe operations throughout the year...keep your head buried in the sand, and satisfy yourself with platitudes and calls for the airport's closure...simply because such a simple, popular, busy location is beyond you. You make it safer for everyone else, the farther away you stay.

Latest resources

Back