Latest UAL recall stats

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

250scp

UAL MEC sent out these stats as of 23 Mar 06. It matches most of whats been discussed on this board with some additional specifics on bypass and LOAs. If over-60 flying and consolidation doesn't rain on this recall parade, hope we can all get back on campus in the (relatively) near future....

With the announcement of the 5 June 2006 recall class and the increase in size of the 1 May 2006 class, recall offers have now been sent to more than half of our furloughed United pilots, a total of 1135 of the 2172 furloughed pilots have been offered recall. The most junior pilot to receive recall notice thus far is seniority number 7887. The total recall statistics, to date, break down as follows:
  • 323 pilots back on property!
  • 74 pilots have accepted recall for the 3 April, 17 April, 1 May or 5 June 2006 recall classes.
  • 165 pilots have accepted recall but are now on Leave of Absences (Mil Leave, Section 7-D-1 Leave or Short Personal Leave).
  • 39 pilots are future Leave of Absences connected with the 3 April, 17 April, 1 May or 5 June 2006 recall classes.
  • 449 pilots have elected “Recall Bypass” and remain on Furlough Status.
  • 85 pilots have not yet responded to their recall notice (Contract provides fourteen (14) days to respond to a recall notice).
There have been a total of fourteen (14) recall classes to date. Five (5) recall classes have been held thus far this year and there are four (4) more announced classes that have been or are currently being filled. The MEC and the SSC continues to work with the Company to ensure proper staffing levels and speed the return of all of our furloughees.

250scp said:
..........If over-60 flying and consolidation doesn't rain on this recall parade, hope we can all get back on campus in the (relatively) near future....

:erm: Not all of us want "back on campus". Someone else can have my spot - fool me once, etc, etc. That new contract is pathetic.

Fox-Tree said:
:erm: Not all of us want "back on campus". Someone else can have my spot - fool me once, etc, etc. That new contract is pathetic.

Not every furloughee has been able to land a better gig than UAL. Hopefully you are senior to most so your bypass (or resignation) will make a difference.

Last edited:
Fox-Tree said:

Boy, things have changed over the last 5 years, but that is the business I guess: Where was the place to fly for 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago? But, the real question is where is the place to be 10, 20, 30 years from now? I'd guess FedEx would be the odds-on favorite. I'm sure there would be some SWA votes. Not as many for Jet Blue this year as years past, but who knows.:)

F/O said:
Not every furloughee has been able to land a better gig than UAL. Hopefully you are senior to most so your bypass (or resignation) will make a difference.

Recalled summer 05 - I guess it helped someone.

It's too bad some end up feeling that returning to UAL is the only answer. I was lucky - but I'd leave flying before I went back to that. Turmoil in the mideast, oil prices, more terrorism and numerous idiots in our government that seem hell bent on xxxxxxxxxxxxx up our airline industry all point to more trouble down the road. Are they that desperate that they're willing to be left standing with their xxxxx in their hand for a second time? Maybe next time they'll be even less able to deal with it - older, less marketable, less flexible, wife, kids, whatever.
None of us were there long enough to have our lives revolving around that airline.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You can be candid without being crude. Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fox-Tree,

Its all good you found an alternative career choice...mine is in the form of a current flying gig and with a mil retirement in short order. If all works out, I plan on continuing this path until I get a few years of hiring behind me at UAL and return to a wide body. If it doesn't, I can now go fly corporate or be confident I can make some good scratch going full time into real estate.

Its all about choices and what you're comfortable doing. My first choice, and probably yours as well, was UAL. I'm not planning on keeping anything languishing in my hand but will have the opportunity to watch from the sidelines for a while and see if the game is worth playing. We all can't be a former fast mover with the "I made the best decision ever" attitude. Chill and enjoy the ride.

And, by the way, did you resign your seniority outright or take the fence sitting posture of bypass for now...

ATTN any recalled UAL pilots that are taking mil leave: If you've been recalled and got a bid award you don't want and want to trade, I've got a 300 to DCA that I'm dying to get rid of. I'd prefer an A320 anywhere, with SFO being the #1 pick.

Also, if any of you have access to "Junior Man in Seat/Fleet", can you post the info, or a link?

I don't think I made the best decision - that would have been Fedex in 1998. I'm not a gambler and if I had a clue about the cyclic nature of pax aviation, I would have pursued Fedex then. I didn't do a good job educating myself and paid for it. Who knows - maybe I would have porked that interview away then anyway.
As far as resigning, I think that would be unnecessarily burning a bridge. Fedex is great and I have no plans to leave. However, I heard the same rosy predictions I'm hearing at Fedex when I got to UAL. I'm skeptical so I'll keep ALL options opened until I'm forced to close them. Honestly though, if Fedex tanked, I'd probably turn one of my current hobbies into a business and leave flying.

Latest resources

Back